Oil & Filter Change

All Seat Ateca related discussions
DenisWH

Oil & Filter Change

Post by DenisWH » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:12 pm

Did an engine oil and filter change on MY 18 1.4 today....5010 miles on the clock. Oil quite dirty and beats me how long the recommendations are between oil changes these days. Not me....I'm old school plus there's a turbo charger in there that needs a good supply of clean oil when it spins up to 20000RPM. Nice easy job especially with the right tools....torx keys for the engine under panel, filter removal socket, small hydraulic floor jack......45 minutes all done.

Max2090

Re: Oil & Filter Change

Post by Max2090 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:24 pm

According to my dealer it's every 20K which I don't agree with.
They told me this after the car started demanding an "oil service" at 7400 miles, last week.
I took it in and they said it was wrong as it had been set up incorrectly at the factory.
They fiddled with something on the dash and said service announcement has vanished.
Ummm.
2019 1.6 Diesel SE Technology manual in metallic white.

DenisWH

Post by DenisWH » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:31 pm

Not for me Max. I've had plenty of cars since the 1960's including SAAB turbos. Treated them all the same...regular oil changes etc etc. After all it's the life blood of the car. Whilst I could probably have left mine a little longer it is just a year old and most manufacturers advise a mileage or a year whichever comes sooner. I'm very sceptical about garages and their advice...a lot of BS from many of them. I'm an ex aircraft engineer and I like to think I know better than them when it comes to the basic maintenance of a machine no matter what it is.
Just a point of note...diesels have a tendency to make engine oil dirtier than petrol by their very nature. I found that with a diesel MG ZT and a RR Evoque.

Max2090

Post by Max2090 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:57 pm

Agreed but mine is a company car so they pay for it not me, hence I'm tied to what the dealership tells them and me.
I've had plenty of Saabs and they got done every 6 months without fail.
2019 1.6 Diesel SE Technology manual in metallic white.

DenisWH

Post by DenisWH » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:12 pm

Oh well... company car... had a few of those...yes i know....you just go along with the programme.

stecornes

Post by stecornes » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:51 am

My last car was an Octavia 2.0 diesel 184, this had the 20k service intervals, didn't burn any oil till about 14k after the last oil change. This tells me that at that point the oil is failing so I changed the oil at about 12k and she never needed a top up again.
2019 Ateca FR Sport 1.5 TSI Evo Velvet Red.

boristhebold

Post by boristhebold » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Denis, turbos spin up to around 150k rpm...so even more critical that they get a good oil fed to them

BrianG

Post by BrianG » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 pm

I’ve been contacted by Auto Devotion asking me to arrange a service, I purchased via Lowestoft Seat and this company have the same phone and address details.
The cars still 6 weeks of being a year old and I believe I’m on the long service, I’ve never heard of Auto Devotion has anyone else?
2.0 FR, Velvet Red, 4Drive, Space saver spare & working rear view camera...

Pjhoworth

Post by Pjhoworth » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:51 pm

BrianG wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 pm
I’ve been contacted by Auto Devotion asking me to arrange a service, I purchased via Lowestoft Seat and this company have the same phone and address details.
The cars still 6 weeks of being a year old and I believe I’m on the long service, I’ve never heard of Auto Devotion has anyone else?
Odd as they're a used car dealership around the East.
They are however part of the Robinsons Group who own your Seat dealership.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:25 pm

First off there is no right and wrong answer - no use preaching to others when you don't know the circumstances.

Oil changes used to be every 6k miles when my father bought his first car in '71 and there was nothing like turbos to worry about. My Accord was still every 6k in 1997, then they changed it to every 9k ( other manufacturers had started to increase intervals ). I remember Audi claiming their C100 could go up to 20k before oil service and that was back in 80's.

The problem I have with people claiming they know best or what they used to do many years ago, is you appear to mis-interpret what long-life oil changes are - it's important to understand how it works before preaching it's rights and wrongs.

First off is the oil. The oil used in long-life is completley different to the oil used by Saabs and every other car in 1960's so pointless making a comparison.

Secondly folk mention 'dirty oil'. The oil will be different in a car that travels 5k per annum mainly on motorways to that of a car that travels 5k a year mainly in cities. Likewise it will be different to that of a car that travels 20k a year on motorways or 20k a year in cities. It will also be different to a driver who revs the engine to the limits and to the driver who drives with economy in mind. What I'm trying to say is we all treat our cars differently but you guys are saying the cars should undergo the exact same service routine? It's quite a bonkers idea when you think about it.

Modern technology can overcome this by inserting an oil degregation sensor - in effect the car decides when the oil needs changed. So when mechanics or salesmen or anyone else says the car requires oil changes every 2yr or 20K miles, they are wrong. What long-life means is the car can run for UP TO a maximum of 2yr or 20k miles. It's the car that determines when the oil requires changing based on how it's been driven - which seems perfectly sensible to me.

If people wish to change oil every 6000 miles then they may well be doing the right thing - then again, they may be throwing away perfectly good oil. It's their car, their money, their decision - it may well just be for piece of mind.

But I will say one thing - I have NEVER seen any evidence where long-life service is the cause of problems. Yes I've read so called experts telling you that but I've seen no evidence of it. Have cars on long-life experienced problems? Of course they have. Have cars that have been serviced every year or every 6 mths experienced problems? er yes. If your car were serviced every week you'd still encounter problems. There's no one rule suits everyone but personally I think a car that determines when it requires servicing is sensible. We rely and take for granted all other technology on board our cars, why should an oil degregation sensor be singled out for such mistrust?