Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Ateca Sat Nav Maps

52K views 113 replies 33 participants last post by  Swift0tron 
G
#1 ·
Have just discovered that my March 2019 Built to Order ATECA XL, is supplied with SatNav software that is two years old, and that no updates are currently available.

Apparently an upgraded version was available to me at ordering, but not mentioned.

Can it be retro-fitted?

EM

#54 ·
My satnav is about as bad as I recall when they first came to mainstream use, 15 plus years ago. It will take me off the motorway at a junction only to have me drive down the entry slip and back on (I can see it is going to do it so I ignore it) The car was in for a service last month but would they update the satnav ? No. I can't be alone in being useless at tech/computer stuff so is it too much to ask the dealer to simply keep a stock of bang up to date SD cards and swap old for new and then keep everyone up to date ?

#55 ·
Hi borithebold. I am in exactly your situation and try to comment whenever I see post like this. Its a terrible state of affairs! Make sure that you complain to the dealer and to SEAT UK. Good luck!

#56 ·
The problem with all this new tech in cars is that it is designed by tech heads for whom navigating 5 screens to alter the clock is easypeasy. No real thought is given to people who either don't get tech or really don't want it all. How Garmin can make a really simple to use satnav for £100 and yet the VAG one isn't fit for purpose is beyond me.

G
#57 ·
If I am unable to sort this out soon, I am going to lodge a complaint with the Motoring Ombudsman: themotorombudsman.org

It is ridiculous that a brand new MY2019 factory ordered car (build week 9-2019) is supplied with Sat Nav data that is 2 years out-of-date, when more recent data is available FOC for other brands in the same group.

I understand that the latesat data is ver 14

EricM

#58 ·
Ok, vent to this site:
https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/
Touran 2017, choose discovery media, (have standard, not plus) dowload bundle 6 (I'm norwegian, dont need italy so this package suits me, and its only 7,8GB), extract zip file.
Go to car, take out sd-card, no fancy on and off, just take it out. Go to pc, backup your overall.nds from sd-card folder maps/EEC/EEC_WLD (this your licens !!!)
Now you can delete, format or whatever to your sd-card, once I just delete the map folder.... now copy your extracted file to sd-card. Now copy your backed up overall.nds and replace/overwrite it with the one in maps/EEC/EEC_WLD on SD-Take card and put it back in your car. Start, 30 sec on updatete poi database. Finito.
20 min total.... slow line and pc..... 40min

#59 ·
Corvus said:
Ok, vent to this site:
https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/
Touran 2017, choose discovery media, (have standard, not plus) dowload bundle 6 (I'm norwegian, dont need italy so this package suits me, and its only 7,8GB), extract zip file.
Go to car, take out sd-card, no fancy on and off, just take it out. Go to pc, backup your overall.nds from sd-card folder maps/EEC/EEC_WLD (this your licens !!!)
Now you can delete, format or whatever to your sd-card, once I just delete the map folder.... now copy your extracted file to sd-card. Now copy your backed up overall.nds and replace/overwrite it with the one in maps/EEC/EEC_WLD on SD-Take card and put it back in your car. Start, 30 sec on updatete poi database. Finito.
20 min total.... slow line and pc..... 40min
POI database??

#60 ·
When you put your updatede sd card in for the first time and fire up, it take 30s for the system to sum up.... on the screen it's stateted something like updating database... then it boots normal with all up to date map 1420!.
The original file overall.nds on the original sd is your "license" Back that up, I never backed up the old map files, only this file!

#61 ·
Corvus said:
When you put your updatede sd card in for the first time and fire up, it take 30s for the system to sum up.... on the screen it's stateted something like updating database... then it boots normal with all up to date map 1420!.
The original file overall.nds on the original sd is your "license" Back that up, I never backed up the old map files, only this file!
Did the update tonight,
Very straighforward as you pointed out.
Happy days

#62 ·
Did the update today, just followed the instructions with the Nov update being added so now 2020/21 maps. I tried the download on Sunday but the VW site was down with bad gateway error messages. Back up today no problem.

#64 ·
I formatted the card as suggested but I am sure that will leave the hidden partition, so maybe it wont work with a new non Seat card. I will take my card out and analyse it with software I have to see whats on it, might even try a spare card I have here.

#65 ·
Checked the SD card out and there is no hidden partitions on it, it is a basic 16gig SDcard with just the download on it and the modified NDS file. I dont have a spare SDcard at 16gig so will try a micro SDcard 16gig with an SD Adaptor. Will report back once the copy has finished.

#66 ·
Well spent a fair bit of time on this as I was curious what was going on and some others have probably done the same.

It looks like the VW Group have created the Nav software to only work with a specific vendor for the map updates. So you need the spec of SDcard like this;
Vendor ATP
Model Tamlo - 18010035
Spec AF 16GSD3

Watch Rectangle Gadget Material property Font

The latter line, "Spec" is key for an issue that will happen soon. The 16g is the card size 16gigabyte, and the current Version 12 config files take up 15.1 gig of space. I looked back at my original version that came with the car and it is Version 6 and takes up 13.8gig of space. At 2 updates per year you can see that we will need to be getting bigger SDcards soon or keep the old data on your maps, getting more out of data every 6 months.

Ok so buy a bigger card, yes that you can do but, it will have to be the spec above but a bigger size than 16g and at the moment you can only buy these from your dealer or Ebay. The latter being cheaper, but with Ebay you are not sure the size of the card you are buying as it doesn't state on the card you need to put it into a computer to see the size of the card. I would assume that any map SDcard v6 or older will be 16gig so no good. Not sure what size the cards are for versions 7 and above but we need to get to 32gig at some point.

It would be interesting to see what size the cards are holding for Version 11 for example.

I suppose at the end of the day if you have had free updates for a year or more then we have to pay for a new map SDcard with the dealer you have done not bad, but I believe the VW policy is free updates but Seat are chargeable. VW charge about £65 for a new SDcard not sure the Seat price.

Attachments

#67 ·
I sussed this a few weeks ago ATP are an industrial card and are very expensive where ever you look even flea bay, generally the ones for sale are small capacity, havnt seen a 32 gb yet.
I assume that industrial cards are designed to be better than using the norm so has to cope with temp variations etc.
Now to the interesting point I have now got the latest SEAT version 7 card containing 2020 maps and this is a 32 gb card but it won't just slide in and be recognised needs a dealer to do it, I havnt as yet because I have downloaded the vw maps and am using those. I did try it in the car but it wouldn't work and the dealer advised that they have to install it , I do wonder if the installation involves changing the files you mention which I had to do when loading the vw ones, maybe but don't know.
Concerned to have it installed in case it does something to prevent the self download working although can't see why unless the dealer adds some sort of protection to the system to prevent you and I doing it.

#68 ·
Wow!

That's really interesting, thanks. I never thought about the cards being extra robust. They're 'Industrial grade'. You can get a 32GB for about £45 but they do go higher capacity:

https://www.atpinc.com/products/industrial-sd-cards

It will be interesting to see what a SEAT stealer want to perform the 'upgrade' :p

#69 ·
Dont have spare sd so yesterday I allready tried what Dibs mention, micro-sd and sd adapter. Diddent work, state somting like "missing database"
Thinking, this have to do with the type off sd-card to be used.
This is from Mercedes update guide:
The SD card of type SanDisk SD card - P/N: SDSDAD-016G has at least 16 GB storage space.
One of the following SD cards is used:
SanDisk:
P/N: SDSDAD-016G
APT:
AF16GSD3-BDG001
AF32GSD3-BDG001
AF16GSD4A-BDG001
AF32GSD4A-BDG001

Wonder what so special about this card... what do they support?

#70 ·
dlj6964 said:
I sussed this a few weeks ago ATP are an industrial card and are very expensive where ever you look even flea bay, generally the ones for sale are small capacity, havnt seen a 32 gb yet.
I assume that industrial cards are designed to be better than using the norm so has to cope with temp variations etc.
Now to the interesting point I have now got the latest SEAT version 7 card containing 2020 maps and this is a 32 gb card but it won't just slide in and be recognised needs a dealer to do it, I havnt as yet because I have downloaded the vw maps and am using those. I did try it in the car but it wouldn't work and the dealer advised that they have to install it , I do wonder if the installation involves changing the files you mention which I had to do when loading the vw ones, maybe but don't know.
Concerned to have it installed in case it does something to prevent the self download working although can't see why unless the dealer adds some sort of protection to the system to prevent you and I doing it.
It is a case of just changing the file so it is specific for your unit and that is all they will do. Just out of interest is the new 32gig an ATP card? RS Components sell the ATP cards upto 32gig.

#71 ·
Yes it is an ATP card and I have studied the files on it and they appear identical to the original series 7 card. The part number is po5 rather than po6.
I'm fairly confident that if I changed the files it would work however having installed the vw 2020 maps there's not a lot of point in doing it.
I got this card via customer services after months of 'discussion'
But ages ago I updated my original series 7 card as per the advice of others on this forum which was quite simple to do .

#73 ·
I didnt know this because I didn't check Seats site, but the Sat Nav updates are free now, you just need your original card and a computer. Full instructions are here and very straight forward.

https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/map-updates.html

#74 ·
Unless something has changed - suggest not by the comment on the instructions, this only works if you have Mapcare.
You may have Mapcare now, but I don't as I believe that it was not offered by Seat until 2019.
So, I was not offered it at the time of purchase, Seat UK have tried, via the dealer, to have my maps updated on numerous occasions but they have now confirmed in writing that Mapcare is only available as a factory installed option and cannot be retrofitted, so I cannot legally update my SD cards (I have 2, version 3 and version 6).
It took me 3 years and many letters and phone calls to finally get Seat Spain and Seat UK to sing off the same hymn sheet...
I suspect that Mapcare can be retrofitted IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND ARE GIVEN THE RIGHT TOOLS, but with Seat UK that is not the case. The Seat Tech's do not even understand what can be done with OBDEleven as the car is basically a computer with an engine and wheels...

#75 ·
Wiz
As I understand it mapcare is just a service you can pay for that means SEAT/Dealer will do the update for you periodically and as you say is not acailable in UK.

As long as you have the SD card version you can still update yourself provided you follow the instructions on this forum carefully (ie make sure you keep a copy of the overall.nds to copy back to your SD card which isn't mentioned on the formal sites)

#76 ·
Just updated my standard infortainment maps to the latest 430 on my 18 Ateca by following Tell's link and instructions from Stupra post 180 . Found it pretty straightforward and saved a few bob in the process, if I can do it anybody can. Also, l have loaded fixed and mobile radar alerts which show on the map together with a warning chime
http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.7z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.