Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Are SEAT losing sales with their daft spec. policy.

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Twed701 
#1 ·
So, Madam was in a quandary. She likes my Ateca apart from the electric handbrake, she likes the seating position and the standard 'toys' but, thinks it's too big for her use so she was thinking of an Arona although the choice of colours and engines is poor, the 1ltr 95 horses just isn't enough for her and the FR with the 115 hp engine would be okay but she hates the black roof lining plus not being able to spec with 'toys' unless one pays yer money for the top of the range. Then she saw the new VW T Cross in turquoise bluey/green and fell in love, the SEL model had everything she wanted - 115 horses, satnav, alarm, lane assist, seating position etc. and with a load of options available she could spec it more though the only thing left really were the heated seats. SEAT has lost the sale I'm afraid.....
Seems daft that SEAT UK won't list the options like they used to, I understand that most options are still available outside the UK and for them to say it's because of the new emissions regs is crap because other manufacturers are happy to do it, to me it's just lazyness.
Madam has made her mind up and her much loved 2ltr Tdi Touran which she bought new 13 years ago will be going in the spring.

Dave.

#5 ·
If their reason why options are no longer available is due to emissions then i can see why after the diesel gate scandal although it may just be a pishy spin-off for a new business model that will save costs.

I was quite surprised to find that the only options available for my FR Sport I ordered last week were towbar and a spare pram wheel! Lane assist and auto headlights would have been nice maybe.

#6 ·
Jettabout said:
Then she saw the new VW T Cross in turquoise bluey/green and fell in love,
At a high level, VAG will be happy.

What you needed to write there was anything other than another VW group model.

#7 ·
Twed701 said:
If their reason why options are no longer available is due to emissions then i can see why after the diesel gate scandal although it may just be a pishy spin-off for a new business model that will save costs.
If it was a great new business model to make more profit, why haven't they introduced in their far bigger other European markets?

Here in Spain all the options on almost all models are configurable. Go to www.seat.es and play with their configurator (Google will show it in English) and see what UK customers are missing.

I totally agree that they will miss out on sales, but are other manufacturers selling in the UK any different?

#8 ·
On the contrary I chose the Ateca as the It made it very easy to ring a dealer and hagle on price. I didn't have to pick across a sea of options which confuse things. I also got pick of stock off the Dock and had the car 2 weeks later.

When I was specing a Karoq it was difficult to chose which options were important and ones I didn't need it. To then get the figures and find it was out of my budget, rinse and repeat this process between dealers. With Seats approach yes some options aren't there but most were and it made it easy.

Audi and Volvo are all going the same way.

#9 ·
It's certainly interesting to look at the way cars are sold in the US - dealers often have hundreds of cars in stock and Americans expect to be able to drive into the dealer in their old car and a couple of hours later drive away in a new one.

Waiting months for cars is just bonkers. We waited 3.5wks for the Ateca we got, and the dealer loaned us a courtesy car in the meantime, as the car it was replacing had been written off.

#10 ·
Rory said:
It's certainly interesting to look at the way cars are sold in the US - dealers often have hundreds of cars in stock and Americans expect to be able to drive into the dealer in their old car and a couple of hours later drive away in a new one.

Waiting months for cars is just bonkers. We waited 3.5wks for the Ateca we got, and the dealer loaned us a courtesy car in the meantime, as the car it was replacing had been written off.
We've had a few new cars but never ordered one specifically and waited weeks or months for its arrival. We've had in-stock models with considerable discount. I'm glad I wasn't the first to mention waiting months for a new car as being bonkers. We are oft told that specific extras make the car more desirable at trade in price. It may well make the sale of the 2nd hand car easier but in my 35 yrs of driving and many part-exchanges, I've never failed to move a car on at a price I was OK with.

#11 ·
I chose my Ateca as the trim level has everything I wanted but Seat UK aren't the only ones doing it ..... with Kia you choose trim level 1,2,3 or 4 with no options ..... but ....... my local Kia dealer told me I could have a new car in 4 - 6 weeks :shock:

#12 ·
I was lucky, the dealer had one car of the spec but not the engine I wanted and was able to source four or five others within the week, our first choice was the blue but this was unavailable, my personal choice was the Rhodium Grey so we had that, no options, nothing available from the dealer not even a spare wheel.....

Dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.