Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Servicing Petrol

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Golfmk56 
#1 ·
I'm am about to take delivery on my new Petrol Ateca. The salesman suggested my first service would be at 10k. So as my last 5 cars have been diesels Im used to 20k service intervals on VAG and Ford products. Is he wrong or am I going to be on first name terms with my service manager?

#2 ·
I believe it depends upon what oil is in the car. I understand that 504 spec (5W-30) means 10K oil change intervals. If you have 508 spec oil (0W-20) it means extended intervals. 0W20 oil is not backwardly compatible.

If I am wrong, I am happy to be corrected.

#4 ·
They come from the factory set for longlife servicing. The dealer should discuss it with you, but for retail customers they normally change them to fixed interval servicing. If the car is leased they should leave it on longlife.

If you've got a SEAT service plan then that demands fixed interval servicing.

#5 ·
Fred99 said:
If you are on the long life service plan, which is the normal factory setup, it's 2 years or 20k.
Two very important words left out of that statement which causes confusion. It's UP TO 2yr or 20K miles ( called long life or variable servicing)

The engine has oil degragation sensors so when set to longlife, they determines the time or mileage b4 a service is required. The harder the engine is worked, the sooner those service intervals will occur.

PS - another slight confusion is when the OP says "with my diesels". It has nothing to do with the fuel type, all engines can be set to variable or fixed servicing and that should be determined on what use the car will be subjected to rather than how a car is purchased. I've heard that retail / lease comment from a dealer before but it's total B*** S***.

#6 ·
If it is a lease car and you are not going to keep it beyond 4 years, 10K or once a year is just about right. The engine should be still in a decent condition when it changes the owner, and will leave him suffering further down the road..

If you consider buying the car and keep it for longer then forget about those recommendations as it is all very approximate and dictated by ecological demands, marketing and competition as much as the engine and technology.

In reality your mileage and service intervals are not directly correlated as 5 miles in a traffic jam, 5 miles on a winding mountain road and 5 miles on a flat highway are completely different things in terms of engine oil deterioration.

If you really want to care about your engine and keep it clean as a nut for the next 10 years or so ( well, it is nearly impossible with modern overloaded direct injection turbo charged engines) then the time the engine is running + driving conditions + oil/petrol quality are much better indications than the mileage.

As for the oil quality sensors, most are simple devices that just measure the dielectric constant which depends on the oxidation and impurities. It may (possibly) help prevent a disaster if something goes wrong but it is not really a comprehensive indicator of oil deterioration. I don't know what sensor does VW employ here though.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the input , I guess I will find out on Friday when I collect. Funny that VAG group cars have sensors for the oil . My TT covers about 3 to 6K a year but every year the oil service light comes on! However with Ford S-Max, Mondeo ,VW CC and Tiguan they all happily ran to 18 to 20 K in a year ,or so, before the service light come on!

#9 ·
The service light will come on depending on what service regime you've chosen. If it's fixed ( or annual ) the service light will come on when the service is due - your TT will no doubt be set for fixed.

If it's flexible ( or long-life ) then the service light will come on either when the sensors detect a service is required or when the max. limits are reached - which ever comes first.

#11 ·
I had a Golf years ago that I ordered on long life servicing but it was delivered on fixed instead. When I realised I went back to the dealer and they recorded it in a few minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.