Seat Ateca suspension upgrade

All Seat Ateca related discussions
plc

Seat Ateca suspension upgrade

Post by plc » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:48 am

After reading all I could possibly find on Ateca and MQB platform suspension (including topics opened in this forum, which has most of Ateca knowledge) I opened this new topic in hope some of you can provide answers.

Many people complain about suspension stiffness. I also believe it's too stiff and uncomfortable, especially around town at low speeds. Every single small bump transfers inside the car. 19" rims don't help, and deflating tires to comfortable pressures helps just a bit.

My current Ateca has bigger suspension travel than most of other family cars, and yet my fathers Touareg, my old BMW 3 or my friends Mercedes both C and E class are considerably more comfortable, and handle just as well if not better than Ateca. This led me to believe that Seat uses cheaper suspension than Germans and other more expensive brands, which makes sense given the price difference. Then I went on an did some research on companies that make suspension for Ateca and MQB platform without DDC.

After some research I came up with 2 options:

1. KW V3 suspension: [url]https://www.kwsuspensions.net/productfinder/SEAT_ATECA__KH7__04_2016-_KH7_2.0_TDI_4Drive_Diesel_140KW_1968ccm_irDWRg9Fzgcwni8ngMVkLw~~/56/Street_Performance/352800BD[/url]

I contacted a few dealers in my area. All of them have different answer to my question whether or not fitting KW suspension will increase comfort, and by how much. Some say not at all, while some say 50%, whatever that meant. I do not want or need better handling or looks. My focus is on investing money for comfort. Has anyone here fitted KW suspension, or any other suspension, to their Ateca or has any idea what to expect? I also don't like that KW V3 drops the car by 3.5cm.

2. Air suspension: [url]https://www.null-bar.de/en/kw-fahrwairk-airsuspension-seat-ateca-sfp.html[/url]

what do you think of this option? I know nothing about retrofitting air suspension to a car. I know that air suspension cars I drove in were very comfortable.

Also, any other idea to increasing comfort is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
2.0 TDI, 190ps, xcellence, 19" wheels

dave b

Re: Seat Ateca suspension upgrade

Post by dave b » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:10 am

I think you'd be better trying a set of 18s or even, dare I say...17s. The whole increase in wheel size is now just about vanity (pushed by the car makers) Got to fill thiose arches.....but if Seat made the arches just that little bit smaller.........
Seat is pretty much branded as a sporty drive, the Ateca is no different.

Go test drive a lower spec Ateca with 17s? Test a Karoq to see if they're 'softer'

You aren't comparing like for like. A mid priced SUV v a more upmarket saloon. Our FR diesel feels fine. Maybe the fact that it is on 18s coupled with a no doubt heavier engine and 4 x 4 drive train ?

plc

Post by plc » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks for your input. My point with saloon comparison was that a BMW 3 series I owned was a much sportier drive, with better comfort and less suspension travel. I was hoping with proper suspension setup I could achieve the same results.

Luxury SUVs with 22" rims achieve far greater comfort that my Ateca on 19". I'm sure there's more than just suspension setup when it comes to ride quality, but I am trying to get a better picture on how much a new suspension on Ateca changes the ride quality before I spend 3.000 EUR. Maybe that money can be better spent on, like you said, a new set of 17" wheels or something else.
dave b wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:10 am
I think you'd be better trying a set of 18s or even, dare I say...17s. The whole increase in wheel size is now just about vanity (pushed by the car makers) Got to fill thiose arches.....but if Seat made the arches just that little bit smaller.........
Seat is pretty much branded as a sporty drive, the Ateca is no different.

Go test drive a lower spec Ateca with 17s? Test a Karoq to see if they're 'softer'

You aren't comparing like for like. A mid priced SUV v a more upmarket saloon. Our FR diesel feels fine. Maybe the fact that it is on 18s coupled with a no doubt heavier engine and 4 x 4 drive train ?
2.0 TDI, 190ps, xcellence, 19" wheels

Den48

Post by Den48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi, I believe that you have a 2.0l diesel ateca that is already fitted with multi link rear suspension, I understand this is superior to the torsion beam setup on petrol models. There have been posts on the forum where people have commented on a hard ride but I don't recall comments on diesel cars.
My petrol car has 18 inch wheels and I reduced the tyre pressure to 34 psi this definitely helps, I would try and get hold of some 18 inch wheels perhaps through a helpful dealer and try them before you buy,
Another thought, have you had the suspension checked ?

Rory

Post by Rory » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:20 pm

dave b wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:10 am
Go test drive a lower spec Ateca with 17s?
I was pleased daughter's came with 17", and powder coated too, not stupid diamond cut.

I had it for a day recently and thought it drove 'nicely'. Sorry nicely is a bit vague, but it didn't give me any concerns on harshness etc. I would say it did feel a little more rigid than our Tiguan, but not in a bad way.

My own car is an older (2005 model) C Class Merc on 16" wheels and that can be suprisingly uncomfortable on poor surfaces.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

MBM

Post by MBM » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:31 pm

I downsizes from 19" to 17".
Much softer ride.. and I have also installed HR lowering springs.
No harchness at all.
Rhodium Grey, 1.4 DSG, Virtual cockpit, adaptive cruise control, navigation etc.
Denmark.

PSC21

Post by PSC21 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:31 pm

I am coming from a 2018 Tiguan SEL on 19 " wheels with 50 series tyres to the 19" 40 series on the FR sport. I would say the suspension is more taut than the Tiguan but not less comfortable. In recent years I have has Fords , VWs and Audis on similarly low profile tyres and done many long trips 600 miles + and not had ride comfort problems.

elevenses

Post by elevenses » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:02 pm

18" wheels will improve things. 19" notorious for ruining the ride and increasing noise.

Most cars are simply horrible with the largest diameter rim option, not to mention a myriad of other issues (less fuel economy, increased tyre costs, damaged rim probabilities higher etc)

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:49 pm

18” wheels may be okay but it all depends how tolerant you are. I have 18” already and find the ride very fidgety and constantly picking up everything on the surface. Crashing through even small holes.

There is a good You Tube clip around (someone also posted it on here somewhere) that compared the ride in a VW Golf on 17”, 18” and 19” wheels. The outcome was that there was a much larger difference between 17” and 18”, than there was between 18” and 19”.

The ride on an SUV like the Ateca is always going to be compromised to some degree when compared to a standard car. It’s simple law of physics stuff as SEAT want the Ateca to handle tightly and still stay upright and flat in the corners despite a higher centre of gravity. Something’s got to give. Having said this, I used to have an Audi A3 SE on 16” wheels and I thought that the ride was too firm.

I would simply change the car rather than spend a small fortune trying to make it something it wasn’t designed to be.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

MBM

Post by MBM » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:57 am

you could also try to upsize the tires.. so you get a bit more sidewall.

Im at 17/215/55 at the moment.
I will try 17/235/55 next time
Rhodium Grey, 1.4 DSG, Virtual cockpit, adaptive cruise control, navigation etc.
Denmark.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”