Self park

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Talky12

Self park

Post by Talky12 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:41 pm

Has anybody got the above to work, if so how did you manage, whenever I try it goes diagonal into the parking place 😂😂😂
2019 Ateca 1.5 TSI DSG 7 Speed Xcellence, rhodium grey, collected 11/1/20

EricM

Re: Self park

Post by EricM » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi

Used it twice this week - no problems. Unable remember if the correct way is indicator first then push button, or push button then indicator.

EricM
ATECA 1.5 TSI EVO XCLNCE EZ DSG, Magic Black,

MrRilo

Post by MrRilo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:05 am

Talky12 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:41 pm
Has anybody got the above to work, if so how did you manage, whenever I try it goes diagonal into the parking place 😂😂😂
Find it works well when you get used to it.

1 Press the auto park button before you are near the parking space
2 Indicate in the direction of the parking space
3 Drive past the space at no more than 7mph or it will disengage
4 Come to a complete stop when instructed
5 The display will show how it is going to park eg reversing into a perpendicular space. You can change this by pressing the auto park button again to toggle through the options eg drive forward into a perpendicular space.
6 Complete the parking manoeuvre by using accelerator and brake but dont exceed 7mph.

I only use it for tight spaces but have found it's just as quick as manual parking when you have used it a few times. It's about getting the right distance from the parked cars so it completes the manoeuvre in one attempt and doesnt have to shunt into the space.
MY19 - 1.5TSI Ateca manual FR
Samoa Orange

KerryB

Post by KerryB » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:33 am

I’m grateful someone asked this question.

I’ve eyed that button suspiciously several times but never dared use it. This is at least partly due to my control freak, ‘no darned tech can park this thing better than me’ delusions, and partly pure fear of embarrassment if I were to press the button and then nothing happened while the traffic built up behind me and car horns started to form small close harmony groups.

Armed with my iPad open on this page, I’m gonna give that button a try next time I park in central Belfast!
Lava Blue Ateca 2.0 Tdi (150) Excellence Lux DSG 4Drive, ordered 20th July 2019 (week 29) with an estimated 4 month delivery date. Update: Built Week 40; estimated ready for collection from dealer by 18/10 (week 42), i.e. 12 weeks from ordering.

MrRilo

Post by MrRilo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:58 am

KerryB wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:33 am
I’m grateful someone asked this question.

I’ve eyed that button suspiciously several times but never dared use it. This is at least partly due to my control freak, ‘no darned tech can park this thing better than me’ delusions, and partly pure fear of embarrassment if I were to press the button and then nothing happened while the traffic built up behind me and car horns started to form small close harmony groups.

Armed with my iPad open on this page, I’m gonna give that button a try next time I park in central Belfast!
I had exactly the same feelings then I found myself in a quiet car park and thought I've paid for this thing so might as well try it.

After a couple of goes with no pressure I was impressed with how good it is.
MY19 - 1.5TSI Ateca manual FR
Samoa Orange

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:13 pm

Talky12 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:41 pm
Also this video from VW:

Video came out in 2016 but the ATECA has the identical technology (park assist v2), I believe some of the newer Volkswagen's released in the last year or so have v3 of park assist.
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Keyless Entry & Rear Sunblinds.

Talky12

Post by Talky12 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:27 am

Does this only work in a car space with cars either side or could I use it to park in an empty car park just to get used to it
2019 Ateca 1.5 TSI DSG 7 Speed Xcellence, rhodium grey, collected 11/1/20

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:47 am

Talky12 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:27 am
Does this only work in a car space with cars either side or could I use it to park in an empty car park just to get used to it

No you need cars, wall or posts etc on the side for it to see. I believe v3 that you now get on some VW can “see” the white lines too. Guess the updated Ateca might this tech?
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Keyless Entry & Rear Sunblinds.

Rory

Post by Rory » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:34 am

Definitely try it, especially the parallel parking, on a quiet road first - it's quite alarming how fast it twirls the steering wheel and how tightly it skims the back of the car in front. If you're doing it on a road with oncoming traffic be aware of how far across the road it swings the front out as it starts the manouvre.

Certainly on our Tiguan, which I guess must be the first version, it will parallel park behind one car (ie with nothing else parked further back) as we did that in testing much to our neighbour's bemusement, when they left a car on the road. It must use them to line up on as I tried it in my daughters busy road where everyone parks half on the footpath and it put the Tiguan on the footpath too.

It's a bit annoying that it won't perpendicular park in our drive, even though there's a car either side and right on boundary - from the road it must be just too far away.
Last edited by Rory on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:17 am

I managed to get hold of the "SEAT_ATECA_DRIVER_ASSISTANCE_SYSTEMS.pdf" which is a technical document and page 52 explains in detail how park assist works. Made a download link if I was interested in reading it:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a065e5 ... 620/688e9d