Finally a way to get wireless CarPlay!

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Dal22

Re: Finally a way to get wireless CarPlay!

Post by Dal22 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:54 pm

I'm very tempted to get one of these still... not taken the plunge yet!
Ateca Xcellence Lux EZ 2.0 TDI 190PS 4Drive DSG | Nevada White

nitrous

Post by nitrous » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 pm

I've finally got one en-route (now that I've decided to Keep the Ateca for a couple more years). They're pretty well priced at £101 at the moment including shipping!

nitrous

Post by nitrous » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:24 am

Hi All,

I stupidly waited too long to get this, thinking I'd upgrade my Ateca in January for an Xperience (which has wireless carplay). I have decided against that based on the lack of options and bought a carplay2air.
My first experience (~10 days delivery time) was not great. I installed the unit; saw all my carplay stuff on screen with no cables... Said "Yippee!" and then performed the software upgrade as instructed.. The unit died, no lights, no response. Bricked it.

Sad me.

Got quite good online chat help after I let them know everything I’d done, and sucked in my belly and just bought another one rather than send the faulty unit back and wait for a replacement (20 days+). Faulty unit is still en-route for return credit after 12 days….

Installed the replacement in the weekend. Very straight forward: Find your iPhone via Bluetooth, pair, WiFi connects and you’re good to go.
I tried the dreaded software update but it was already latest revision.

Took it on an outing yesterday and had faultless connection for Waze and Music (Spotify). Re-connects in about 15-20 seconds of starting. Phone in my pocket the whole time. No more messy cables (I use wireless charging).

I believe it is well worth the £101 or so that it cost.

JonC

Post by JonC » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:19 am

When I plug my phone in with the cable, I have to unlock it before CarPlay connects...
Do you need to do the same with this dongle, or can my phone stay in my pocket & it connects up without me having to touch it?
Thanks.

Glendia

Post by Glendia » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:06 pm

JonC wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:19 am
When I plug my phone in with the cable, I have to unlock it before CarPlay connects...
Do you need to do the same with this dongle, or can my phone stay in my pocket & it connects up without me having to touch it?
Thanks.
Just leave phone in your pocket no need to touch it
Seat Ateca Excellence 1.4 DSG with all the toys

JonC

Post by JonC » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:49 pm

Glendia wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:06 pm
JonC wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:19 am
Thanks.
Just leave phone in your pocket no need to touch it
Great, thank you.