Seat extended warranty

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Gadget34

Seat extended warranty

Post by Gadget34 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:22 pm

My 3yr warranty runs out at the end of the month. Seat have emailed the extended warranty offer. Just wondered if it’s worth having on the Ateca for an extra year?

Car is a 1.0tsi se technology with about 17,000 miles. Not doing much mileage at the moment.

I normally wouldn’t bother with warranties but it seems to cover the same as the initial manufacturer warranty.

NeilW

Re: Seat extended warranty

Post by NeilW » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:47 pm

I took it out in January but have not had to use it yet, admittedly I'm at least 5K down on expected mileage. I thought the price was fantastic. At the time I was getting an issue with the central locking but it resolved itself as soon as I made a booking.
Warranties are always a gamble, but I tend to go for peace of mind.
1.4 Excellence in Rodium Grey with mud flaps. Collected 21st Jan 2017.

Rory

Post by Rory » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:52 am

Just for iinterest, can I ask what the cost is?

We took the 5 year factory warranty deal from new - mainly because I was surprised it was only about around £400, whereas on our Tiguan VW wanted something like a grand, so it seemed a bargain. I've taken the Tiguan extended warranty each year and the all component, no excess, 15K mile cost is about £350/yr.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

NeilW

Post by NeilW » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:18 pm

For all component with zero excess and over 15,000 miles, I paid £188.32. To me that was an easy decision. A few weeks before the initial warranty expired SEAT sent me a link to get a quote and renew.
1.4 Excellence in Rodium Grey with mud flaps. Collected 21st Jan 2017.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:32 pm

As you say Neil, pretty much a no-brainer. MotorEasy wanted £275 but required a breakdown at least one mile from the house and a recovery vehicle needed to take you to a garage before cover kicked in!!. For me, SEAT wanted £173 for no excess and max of 10,000 miles a year for All Component cover. I did start wondering what I was missing. My previous Mitsubishi ASX was over £300 from the main dealer.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Rory

Post by Rory » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:57 am

Thanks for the pricing. Even at the VW pricing on Tiguan (I suppose it might be bumped up due to diesel, 4Motion and DSG) the only thing I hummed and harred about was whether to continue to use the dealer for servicing or move to the indie we know. I *think* the extended warranty would still woek with non-dealer servicing but it could become a point of argument.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:37 am

Can't really comment on SEAT because I haven't checked their wording but if it's anything like SKODA then yes it's a bit of a no brainer if you're looking to extend the warranty. But be warned, it's NOT the same cover as the original manufacturer's warranty.

I hadn't taken out extended warranty at time of purchase but unexpectedly had the car for over 3yr. Financial services ( I'm assuming VW / Audi / SEAT and Skoda are the same because the warranty is provided by VWFS, not SEAT ) will write to you offering an extended warranty deal several months before your manufacturer warranty is up and they give you a month after the original warranty ends to decide before the price increases to normal rates. So if your warranty ends 1st March, you'll have until 1st April to accept. VWFS wanted something like £175 for zero excess and less than 10k miles a year on All Component cover. The price goes back up to approx £300 if you leave it until after 1st April.

The cover itself is good and as far as I could see, covers things like infotainment. It was certainly on par with the best 3rd party extended warranties yet much cheaper if you take up the special offer so in that respect, it's a no brainer. But as I say, it's NOT the same cover as the original warranty. When you buy your car from new, you have the option of extending the original manufacturers warranty to 4yr or 5yr - that's why it's more expensive.

Hope that helps.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:58 pm

The odd thing was that I didn’t get an email offer before the 3 years was up. I just did it myself afterwards and bought the warranty from the SEAT website. No mention of VWFS. I’ve still got one more year on my PCP deal as well.

I accept that the cover is not as good as the extended warranty bought at the time of buying the car but it gives me the sleep easy cover I want.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:00 am

tobydog wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:58 pm
The odd thing was that I didn’t get an email offer before the 3 years was up. I just did it myself afterwards and bought the warranty from the SEAT website. No mention of VWFS. I’ve still got one more year on my PCP deal as well.

I accept that the cover is not as good as the extended warranty bought at the time of buying the car but it gives me the sleep easy cover I want.
Any financial product is run by VWFS. If you took your PCP thru SEAT, that's VWFS as well. ( or to give it the real name, it's all underwritten by Volkswagen Versicherung AG ).

You should also find on any SEAT brochure or docs that hidden away in the small print: 'SEAT UK' is actually 'VW Group UK ltd".

Rory

Post by Rory » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:05 pm

tobydog wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:58 pm
The odd thing was that I didn’t get an email offer before the 3 years was up.
I'm pretty sure we didn't on Tiguan either - I guess they might not know email addresses. Could be we got something through the post.

I wondered if it was really discounted (as the renewal suggests) so I found a random Tiguan same age as ours and the premium was twice what we've been asked for to renew.