Replacement of Chrome Window Trim

All Seat Ateca related discussions
AndyE14

Replacement of Chrome Window Trim

Post by AndyE14 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:23 pm

The chrome trim on my wife's Ateca now looks shocking mainly dull and pitted with multiple white spots.

Is there a cost effective way to replace it all?
2.0L 190 PS 4WD DSG, Rodium grey, heated windscreen, panoramic sunroof, xcellence pack, advanced driving & comfort pack plus 2, navigation system plus pack, electric drivers seat, boot divider net.

rafletcher

Re: Replacement of Chrome Window Trim

Post by rafletcher » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:38 am

Probably not. Cheapest option might well be a vinyl wrap.

Hirsty

Post by Hirsty » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:14 am

Not ideal, and only temporary, but try wiping it with WD40. It will need re-applying after a wash, however the WD40 can mask the white spots and brings back a shine. Try to keep it away from your normal paintwork, however.

AndyE14

Post by AndyE14 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:42 pm

Have tried every possible cleaner and nothing works it's just awful I should have sued Seat when they refused to replace under warranty but that ship has now sailed.

I just want to be able to replace it all shortly before we sell (to avoid the same thing happening again) So looking for the most cost effective option to replace given that this is a common problem.

Have thought about having it wrapped but don't see it looking right so was thinking of buying the replacement parts and having an independent fit (perhaps at the same time as the haldex and dsg oil change).
2.0L 190 PS 4WD DSG, Rodium grey, heated windscreen, panoramic sunroof, xcellence pack, advanced driving & comfort pack plus 2, navigation system plus pack, electric drivers seat, boot divider net.

rafletcher

Post by rafletcher » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:22 am

A black wrap, done properly, is indistinguishable from factory black finish IME - and I should know, I bought an S3 that I only realised had had the (perfect) chrome wrapped when I was fitting roof bars a couple of weeks later!

To remove the trim you need to strip down the doors and then get vat the pins that hold it on to drill them out from the inside. Apparently Audi recommend breaking the quarterlight glass to remove that bit of trim. Do not attempt it, get a black wrap.

AndyE14

Post by AndyE14 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:39 pm

The quarterlight trim is the only part that isnt wrecked. I obviously would not be doing this work myself but having someone do it for me.

I am not convinced that wrapping in black won't look odd in contrast to the metal roof rails. Surely to do a good wrap the parts need to be stripped to wrap anyway?

rafletcher

Post by rafletcher » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:44 pm

AFAIK (from stripping a wrap off my alst car, and Audi A3) the window trim was wrapped in-situ. I didn't have roof rails, so didnt have that issue. The grille, I beleive, had been partially dismantled to do the wrap. I think your best bet would be to talk to a good local VAG independent and get their opinion.

AndyE14

Post by AndyE14 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:09 pm

I saw a silver car that appeared to have the wraps done on the motorway yesterday and the roof bars appeared to have been wrapped too. If you are going to wrap trim though it really should.be removed first to get the best finish.

rafletcher

Post by rafletcher » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:15 pm

AndyE14 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:09 pm
If you are going to wrap trim though it really should.be removed first to get the best finish.
How do you know that?

AndyE14

Post by AndyE14 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:33 am

rafletcher wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:15 pm
AndyE14 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:09 pm
If you are going to wrap trim though it really should.be removed first to get the best finish.
How do you know that?
Wrapping my GTR and discussion about wrapping my iPace