Late delivery due to faulty GPS module

All Seat Ateca related discussions
teamleader83

Late delivery due to faulty GPS module

Post by teamleader83 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi all,

I've been a long-time lurker on this forum, since we bought our first Ateca back in 2017, I've registered today to ask if anyone else has had a similar experience to myself.

Back in January ordered a new factory-built 1.5l Manual Xperience Lux. We were due to receive the car ahead of our 2017 Ateca coming to the end of its 4 year PCP agreement at the start of April.

At the start of March, our dealer updated us that the car would be with us 'before the end of the month'. Over the next few weeks we then went through the various stages of paperwork (all done online due to COVID) and registered the car (in our name, not the dealership) on the 31st March. The next day, when we were due to collect the car, at the last minute, we were told there was an issue with the car's 'final checks' and the car was showing a fault when they'd 'plugged it in to the system'. The dealer explained that they would not be able to release the car to me without the approval of SEAT head office. I was assured this was a common occurrence, probably just a software issue, and nothing to worry about, but there would be a small delay. The dealer kept in regular contact that week, but by the time it came to the Easter weekend, they hadn't been able to resolve the issue with SEAT head office (they explained that it was probably due to the month end / Easter bank holiday delaying the response from head office).

Having had daily calls with the dealership this week, i've still not received the car, and have today been told that the car requires a 'replacement GPS module', but there are no parts in the UK. They are unable to give me a date for when I can expect delivery. As well as impacting the satnav functionality, the GPS module apparently forms part of the safety features of the car, helping the emergency services to locate the car if you become incapacitated in an accident etc. so they cannot give me the car without having replaced the part.

In the meantime, I have received all of the paperwork relating to the new car (V5C form, registered in my name, new finance agreement documents for new PCP loan), and have received the paperwork confirming that my old finance agreement has now been settled (by the dealership), so it looks like the whole process has completed, barring the fact that I haven't swapped the cars with the dealer, and haven't paid my cash deposit on the new car.

I was wondering if anyone else had had an issue with their 'GPS module', or if they had had a delay in receiving their vehicle after having the car registered and their finance agreements kicked off? I'm assuming I can claim for some sort of compensation, as technically i'm already paying for a car I don't have, and am eating into my warrantee / MOT-free period etc. I'm not sure how much I should be pushing for, as don't want to get fobbed off with some 'free mats' when the car eventually arrives.

Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

cuboid

Re: Late delivery due to faulty GPS module

Post by cuboid » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:11 am

Are you actually now paying for your new car; ie the finance payment is being taken? If so, best bet is to get onto VWFS to explain the situation.

Dunkelmann

Post by Dunkelmann » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:14 am

On my pre delivery check in December last, I had to get the GPS module replaced. It added a few days to the delivery date that the dealer had said.
Ateca Xperience, petrol, 1.5l, DSG, Black, 12/2020

DELLFAN

Post by DELLFAN » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:52 am

teamleader83 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 pm
Hi all,

I've been a long-time lurker on this forum, since we bought our first Ateca back in 2017, I've registered today to ask if anyone else has had a similar experience to myself.

Back in January ordered a new factory-built 1.5l Manual Xperience Lux. We were due to receive the car ahead of our 2017 Ateca coming to the end of its 4 year PCP agreement at the start of April.

At the start of March, our dealer updated us that the car would be with us 'before the end of the month'. Over the next few weeks we then went through the various stages of paperwork (all done online due to COVID) and registered the car (in our name, not the dealership) on the 31st March. The next day, when we were due to collect the car, at the last minute, we were told there was an issue with the car's 'final checks' and the car was showing a fault when they'd 'plugged it in to the system'. The dealer explained that they would not be able to release the car to me without the approval of SEAT head office. I was assured this was a common occurrence, probably just a software issue, and nothing to worry about, but there would be a small delay. The dealer kept in regular contact that week, but by the time it came to the Easter weekend, they hadn't been able to resolve the issue with SEAT head office (they explained that it was probably due to the month end / Easter bank holiday delaying the response from head office).

Having had daily calls with the dealership this week, i've still not received the car, and have today been told that the car requires a 'replacement GPS module', but there are no parts in the UK. They are unable to give me a date for when I can expect delivery. As well as impacting the satnav functionality, the GPS module apparently forms part of the safety features of the car, helping the emergency services to locate the car if you become incapacitated in an accident etc. so they cannot give me the car without having replaced the part.

In the meantime, I have received all of the paperwork relating to the new car (V5C form, registered in my name, new finance agreement documents for new PCP loan), and have received the paperwork confirming that my old finance agreement has now been settled (by the dealership), so it looks like the whole process has completed, barring the fact that I haven't swapped the cars with the dealer, and haven't paid my cash deposit on the new car.

I was wondering if anyone else had had an issue with their 'GPS module', or if they had had a delay in receiving their vehicle after having the car registered and their finance agreements kicked off? I'm assuming I can claim for some sort of compensation, as technically i'm already paying for a car I don't have, and am eating into my warrantee / MOT-free period etc. I'm not sure how much I should be pushing for, as don't want to get fobbed off with some 'free mats' when the car eventually arrives.

Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Sorry to hear the issues you are having. What a pain ! I am sure if you contact VWFS they should be able to stop the payment. Go onto VWFS website and you can when you first payment is and ask them to stop it while Seat sorts it out.
Xperience Lux 1.5TSI in Lava Blue.

teamleader83

Post by teamleader83 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:28 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Glad/sorry to hear that others have had issues with the GPS module, and that it didn’t add too long a delay.

My first payment is due to be taken on 30th of this month (1 month from registration) so haven’t actually incurred any cost yet, but the clock is ticking, so to speak.

I think I’ll give it a bit longer to see if the dealer provides an update, but if not got car by this time next week, I’ll probably be contacting VWFS.

HudsonJnr

Post by HudsonJnr » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:00 am

teamleader83 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:28 pm
Thanks for the replies.

Glad/sorry to hear that others have had issues with the GPS module, and that it didn’t add too long a delay.

My first payment is due to be taken on 30th of this month (1 month from registration) so haven’t actually incurred any cost yet, but the clock is ticking, so to speak.

I think I’ll give it a bit longer to see if the dealer provides an update, but if not got car by this time next week, I’ll probably be contacting VWFS.
Would love to know their response and if they're willing to do something about it. They once offered me £100 compensation for them not taking a direct debit.

teamleader83

Post by teamleader83 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:23 pm

Quick update, for anyone who's interested!

I've still not received my car, and have no date for when I will.

My garage have provided me with a temporary car, a brand new 21 plate Ateca, which I am the first user of. The spec isn't as high as mine (we've ordered an Xperience Lux), and it's an automatic (we've ordered a manual).

When I went to return my old car / pick up the temporary car, the garage said the SEAT UK are aware of the issue with the GPS modules, and there is a block on ordering them at the moment.

Will keep you posted!