Rear brake pad replacement

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Mountainbiker

Rear brake pad replacement

Post by Mountainbiker » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:41 pm

Hi, has anyone changed the rear brake pads on a Ateca?
I've changed many pads on cars over the years, but non with an electronic handbrake. Any problems and tips appreciated.

Ciano

Re: Rear brake pad replacement

Post by Ciano » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 pm

No not yet
I got a diagnostic bluetooth dongle - OBDeleven
And among many useful things it can do
it can put the electronic parking brake into the service position
which I believe is required when come to change the rear pads.

Mountainbiker

Post by Mountainbiker » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:15 pm

Thanks for the information Ciano I will look into getting one. Have seen that it might be possible to jack the car up, run the car and switch off the parking break and then disconnect the electric plugs on the breaks to keep them released.

rafletcher

Post by rafletcher » Sat May 01, 2021 8:26 am

Mountainbiker wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:15 pm
Thanks for the information Ciano I will look into getting one. Have seen that it might be possible to jack the car up, run the car and switch off the parking break and then disconnect the electric plugs on the breaks to keep them released.
That’ll keep them from being applied, but won’t wind them right back, which is what you want to replace the pads.
2020 Cupra Ateca Limited Edition - Rhodium Grey, Petrol Alcantara, Brembo discs.

Ciano

Post by Ciano » Sat May 01, 2021 12:09 pm

rafletcher wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:26 am
Mountainbiker wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:15 pm
That’ll keep them from being applied, but won’t wind them right back, which is what you want to replace the pads.
Thats odd. Might be me but can't find a reference to brake wind back tool in the repair manual. I assume you have replaced the rear pads then?
Pages from Brake_system_.pdf
(738.6 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

PJM

Post by PJM » Mon May 03, 2021 12:27 am

I changed my rear pads obd 11 to wind out the parking brake, remove pads as described in the link above. The thrust tool in the last picture, last page winds the pistons back to make room for the new pads. I used a g clamp which works just as well. Apply the brakes gently to take up the slack then use the obd 11 to reset the parking brake.

There are plenty of vids on youtube using audi and later vw’s.

Only do this job if you are confident in what you are doing. I take no responsibility whatsoever if you do this task and are not competent.
Xcellence 2.0 tdi 4drive, 19" performance alloys, Black Magic, wiggly foot, top cam, park assist, ceramic coat.