SEAT Drive Profile

All Seat Ateca related discussions
PaulT00

Re: SEAT Drive Profile

Post by PaulT00 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:12 am

Exactly. I'm all for high revving petrol engines in their place, but their place is no longer day-to-day driving in the UK, sadly. I'll freely admit I miss my old Impreza Turbo, or even my other half's old Mk1 Leon Cupra, but you could never use the performance in normal driving without risking an immediate licence-ectomy - and the Impreza, particularly, was tiring to drive on the motorway (fairly short gearing and a rorty engine) and a pain in heavy traffic. One morning on the way to work it took me nearly an hour of crawling to get from one end of Shepherd's Bush Green to the White City roundabout and by the time I finally got past that junction and towards Holland Park the clutch was all but melting and it was not a happy car. At least in a DSG it would spend most of its time with both clutches disengaged in that situation while stationary... The traffic situation has only got worse since then, sufficiently to make a diehard performance-engine-manual-gearbox driver swap first to a TDI, and now (when the new car arrives) to a pseudo-auto. Life is just too short to wear out your left knee joint faffing with a manual in today's traffic.

Speaking of which, assuming the drive parameters are adjusted suitably for the powerplant (i.e. the gearchange plan is matched to e.g. a 1.4TSI using different settings from those in a 2.0TDI with very different power delivery) I would imagine a 1.4TSI DSG would work a lot better in normal use than the manual box on that engine. If the gearbox knows the power output profile of the engine, it should be able to avoid being unexpectedly surprised in a high gear at low revs and suddenly discovering exactly how small a 1.4 engine is to pull that much car!
The Big Blue Bus : Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Lava Blue, 18", Heated Windscreen, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack plus, double boot floor OTR 17-MAR-2017

Tell

Post by Tell » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:48 am

On a humorous note you shouldn't be able to stall a petrol with a DSG as you do with a manual which is the curse of petrol engines over diesels. I gave up manuals in 2004, RHD with left arm ache was always worrying whether it was a heart attach or just heavy trafic. There is a 1.5 litre TSI Evo waiting in the wings which VW is holding back on, only putting in their chosen cars, which when it arrives in the Ateca may dismay 1.4 TSI owners. Least with end of the line diesel development you don't have to worry about technology replacement ;).

http://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/18 ... est-seller

I suspect 2018 will be when that engine reaches Ateca's.
Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Rodium Grey, 19", Heated Windscreen, Navigation Plus, Seat sound, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack - on the road

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:34 am

I'm not dismayed by it. It offers the same power and torque as the old engine so I cannot see any advantages at all.

What I had hoped was that they would offer one with about 180PS to make up for the old 179PS 1.8 litre they used to have in the Leon FR.

What is already dismaying 1.4Tsi owners is that now they are, at last, offering a DSG option. Bad news if you have a manual on order and wanted a DSG.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:42 am

PaulT00 wrote:Exactly. I'm all for high revving petrol engines in their place, but their place is no longer day-to-day driving in the UK, sadly.
I hadn't considered that aspect. I left the UK 23 years ago and last drove there in a hire car for a few days 9 years ago. It was pretty bad 23 years ago so I cannot imagine what it must be like now.

We are utterly spoilt here in Spain. Loads of new motorways with very little traffic and generally no holdups apart from those caused by accidents. Yes, there are radar speed traps, but they tend to concentrate on the main roads, not the motorways as that is where the majority of accidents occur.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Dargas

Post by Dargas » Sat May 20, 2017 9:22 am

I have to admit that the different modes seem to bring quite a few changes.
Eco-mode is for the shorter distances and will ensure a lower fuel consumption, while with the right driving style normal is better for longer distances. Makes the Ateca feel less responsive but that is a tradeoff I'm willing to make most of the time.

Sport is when you want to have fun and I do find there to be a big difference in acceleration and the feel while driving.

It's not an option I thought I would be using much but it has been very surprising.

Driving a 1.4 TSI manual.
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 tsi, nevada white, 18", Navigation Plus, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Driving pack.

Kindness71

Post by Kindness71 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:03 am

Dargas wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 9:22 am
I have to admit that the different modes seem to bring quite a few changes.
Eco-mode is for the shorter distances and will ensure a lower fuel consumption, while with the right driving style normal is better for longer distances. Makes the Ateca feel less responsive but that is a tradeoff I'm willing to make most of the time.

Sport is when you want to have fun and I do find there to be a big difference in acceleration and the feel while driving.

It's not an option I thought I would be using much but it has been very surprising.

Driving a 1.4 TSI manual.
Yes I do love having a play with the car in sport mode and it definitely seems nippier and better acceleration. I'm not sure though if this is just in our heads as believe on reviews they state it's only on automatics that this is possible where it shifts quicker :shock: Has anyone found a description anywhere of what actually is changed by these different modes :?:
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Samoa Orange on order (11th August), Build week (52), Picked up (22nd Jan) 18", Heated Windscreen, Seat sound system, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Double floor

kee

Post by kee » Sat May 20, 2017 11:28 am

the lack of Dynamic Chassis Control should further reduce any difference between the drive profiles, tho again I had this on my current Mk6 golf gti DSG and I barely touch that control anymore.
Ordered 22/4; BW 22; collected 25/6! 1.4 SE-T DSG, Bila, s/roof, pwr boot, lower grill, rear cam, park assist, boot flr, conv pack, disco leds, tinted rears

i.e. an Xcellence with nicer wheels and minus the "old man" leather (per my missus)

MarcoIT

Post by MarcoIT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:43 am

Is it possibile that every time you turn on the car, the Seat Drive Profile resets?
I mean, if you're in Sport mode, it switches automatically on Normal mode even if the selector is still on Sport?
Personally I don't notice it, but on an Italian forum they say it happens and even the user manual says it resets.
I have the 1.4 manual.

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:15 am

I believe that if you have it on ECO or Normal it stays put, Sport it resets.
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rhodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

MarcoIT

Post by MarcoIT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:03 am

And if I have Individual? It stays, I guess...

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”