Tyre Sizes for different models

All Seat Ateca related discussions
CyberGene

Re: Tyre Sizes for different models

Post by CyberGene » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:57 pm

I talked to a few tire shops and it's really very hard to find 225/50/18 winter tires. One of them said they can order Nokian WR D4 in this size but I should wait about a month for delivery which isn't an option and they also advised that this size is gonna stay rare and if I have a flat tire, it can be difficult to order just another tire...

So, I decided to step down a bit and ordered a set of 17" wheels and a set of Nokian WR D4 tires in 225/55/17 size which they have in stock in abundance.

These are the wheels:
http://www.rondell.de/felgenuebersicht/ ... -lackiert/

Well, not my favorite wheels but not the worst either, I guess they're OK for the winter. Those were really cheap at around €100 each and I've read that Rondell are German, people are happy with them and Rondell manufacture some of the OEM wheels for BMW-s.
On order (Oct 2): SEAT Ateca XCellence 4DRIVE 1.4 TSI DSG (Samoa Orange, 18" Machined, Sunroof, SEAT Sound, BSD + RCTA, ACC, Top View, Park Assist, Full Link)
Currently: SEAT Leon mk3 SC FR 1.8 TSI manual

mike22

Post by mike22 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm

I have just bought Continental Winter contact 830p + MAK Koln matt black, 225x50 r18

Seat Ateca Xcellence 1.4tsi DSG 4drive, Nevada white, 19", el. adjustable brown leather seats, pano roof, el. tailgate, navi system, assist. packet 3

CyberGene

Post by CyberGene » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Are those Continentals run flat? I've seen them at many tire shops but they were always SSR (Continental acronym meaning self supporting runflat). This is not bad by itself but I personally find run-flat tires to be too expensive and have read they have a hard ride, are heavier (contributing to slightly worse handling), noisy and wear quickly. In fact, most 225/50/18 I found were run-flats, that's why I decided to step down to 17".
On order (Oct 2): SEAT Ateca XCellence 4DRIVE 1.4 TSI DSG (Samoa Orange, 18" Machined, Sunroof, SEAT Sound, BSD + RCTA, ACC, Top View, Park Assist, Full Link)

MBM

Post by MBM » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:02 pm

I believe 2wd runs at 215/50 R18.. plenty og tires
Waiting for delivery april 2018:
Style 1.4 DSG + fully digital cluster, adaptive cruise control, navigation etc.
Denmark.

mike22

Post by mike22 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 pm

CyberGene wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:17 pm
Are those Continentals run flat? I've seen them at many tire shops but they were always SSR (Continental acronym meaning self supporting runflat). This is not bad by itself but I personally find run-flat tires to be too expensive and have read they have a hard ride, are heavier (contributing to slightly worse handling), noisy and wear quickly. In fact, most 225/50/18 I found were run-flats, that's why I decided to step down to 17".
Not sure :roll: But considering the fact that most of the cars on the road have some mid range or cheap tyres I am pretty confident that these Continentals will be great :-) I will test them next week on snow.
Seat Ateca Xcellence 1.4tsi DSG 4drive, Nevada white, 19", el. adjustable brown leather seats, pano roof, el. tailgate, navi system, assist. packet 3

CyberGene

Post by CyberGene » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Anyone with stock 17” wheels and 4drive, what’s the recommended pressure table on your sticker? Can you photo it? I’m wondering if it would be the same as on 18” stock wheels. Furthermore, I’ve read one should add 0.2 bar in the winter but that doesn’t make sense to me. Isn’t it better to have softer tires for better grip in the snow?

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:10 am

CyberGene wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:10 pm
Furthermore, I’ve read one should add 0.2 bar in the winter but that doesn’t make sense to me. Isn’t it better to have softer tires for better grip in the snow?
We hear the same recommendation here all the time. I think it's just to make sure, that the pressures won't drop too much when the ambient temperature drops. Tyre pressure drops about 0.1 bar per every 10 C drop in ambient temperature, so with 0.2 bar excess pressure, you are preparing for 20 C temperature drop.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

CyberGene

Post by CyberGene » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:33 am

Tet70 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:10 am
CyberGene wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:10 pm
Furthermore, I’ve read one should add 0.2 bar in the winter but that doesn’t make sense to me. Isn’t it better to have softer tires for better grip in the snow?
We hear the same recommendation here all the time. I think it's just to make sure, that the pressures won't drop too much when the ambient temperature drops. Tyre pressure drops about 0.1 bar per every 10 C drop in ambient temperature, so with 0.2 bar excess pressure, you are preparing for 20 C temperature drop.
I see, thanks, that makes sense. Leave it to Finns for winter things, right :) Fully trusting you! Ordered Nokian tires for the same reason :)

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”