Hidden/Discovered Gems

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Anteca

Hidden/Discovered Gems

Post by Anteca » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:41 pm

During the three month waiting period for my Ateca I learned much about the features and operation of the car through videos, downloading the manual and, of course, following this forum. But I still love it when I discover something I may have overlooked - in my case I have just found out about the front centre arm-rest. Yes, you'll all probably know this already, but I'd just thought it was a storage box, so finding out you can raise it and slide it forward as an adjustable arm-rest was a revelation! Sad maybe... Yes, its in the manual but I'd clearly missed it. Just wondered if anyone else had particular gems they have found that they'd like to share. I mean, who knows, we may not have discovered EVERYTHING... What do you love most? (about the car that is)?
Bila White 1.4 Xcellence with spare wheel.

Saggy

Re: Hidden/Discovered Gems

Post by Saggy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:50 pm

lol I love the arm rest - had it in the Yeti and good to have it in the Ateca too

The hands free boot opening and closing is my real fave though - means I don't get dirty hands :P
Red Xcellence 18" 190 4wd DSG Heated windscreen, Tail foot wiggle, SEAT sound, Park Assist I still don't use....

Tell

Post by Tell » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:09 pm

The armrest you can move about. I don't think anybody has found the lower fixing points for the screen that clips to the top. Someone asked I don't think there was a reply. I think it's for dogs.

I noticed today that the piece of plastic I hate in the boot is made of the same materiel as the back door. It's all the same stuff. I'll keep recycling the plastic bottle tops so more Ateca's can be built with this fine plastic.

I'm sure you saw Kindness identify the ice scraper holder yesterday in the fuel cover. Kind of strange that somehow the Ateca gets built with a Skoda fuel flap. Either they put the same request in for the cap as Skoda's supplier or that cover is going to appear or will appear on other Skoda's or just the designer said we'll have one like this but never put the scraper in. Intriguing as to whether that flap appears on on other cars EKTA search for someone.

I don't think there are too many other hidden features in the car except in the software. It has limited storage compartments so they have all been found. You can use the triangle straps for things other than the triangle. I don't know whether adapting the boot floor has been bottomed out for people who want to change it. The Altea and Golf Plus shared sliding seat rails. The Altea didn't the Golf Plus did, so some people (German) fitted rear sliding seats to the Altea that it first didn't have. You can imagine that there might be a possibility to use Kodiqia components on the Ateca and the new Yeti II. May be the sliding rail trick will be there for people who are practically minded. Probably have to read the German Ateca board for this.

Yes I always use the virtual pedal myself although you do have to be careful you don't step back into traffic which is part of the motion of the opening and closing.

There are other VCDS stuff which I haven't mentioned but you see them listed and that's to enable the sign post recognition for starters. I've got it by paying for it, but it is built into the software and just needs turning on. The Spanish board have been doing that one. There are other latent features that can be turned on which upgrade the car from the one you paid for.
Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Rodium Grey, 19", Heated Windscreen, Navigation Plus, Seat sound, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack - on the road

PaulT00

Post by PaulT00 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Tell wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:09 pm
There are other VCDS stuff which I haven't mentioned but you see them listed and that's to enable the sign post recognition for starters. I've got it by paying for it, but it is built into the software and just needs turning on. The Spanish board have been doing that one. There are other latent features that can be turned on which upgrade the car from the one you paid for.
What does annoy me about this is that the signpost recognition was the only feature from one of the driver aids packages (number 2 I think) which we particularly wanted, but the official line is "the only way to get it is to pay £x00 for that package and it cannot be enabled as a programming function separately after purchase". Which when I see things like this makes me immediately think of sharp practice and gouging the customer. There's no reason they couldn't make every feature available for a small charge (to cover the time taken activating it in the software) as long as the required hardware support (cameras, sensors etc) is installed in the specific vehicle - they just *won't*. Bad form, chaps...

In the end we went for the 'all singing all dancing' pack, which includes pretty much everything and a cherry on top, but is only available on the top spec DSG model. When we were considering a manual initially, it was a source of considerable irritation that the one useful feature we wanted was only available bundled with loads of other stuff we didn't want. Even getting the 'no you can't' out of SEAT was like pulling teeth without anaesthetic! Clearly these software features are regarded as a cash cow - milk the customer for every penny...
The Big Blue Bus : Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Lava Blue, 18", Heated Windscreen, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack plus, double boot floor OTR 17-MAR-2017

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:45 pm

It's a bit rich accusing SEAT (like every business) in the free market of milking the customer when the customer is more than willing to pay for these things.

I opened another thread today "deal or no deal" where my dealer offered me £500 to take my car on 28th Feb rather the 1st March. Almost everyone has said they'd be willing to pay £500 for what amounts to 24hr for a '17' in the number plate rather than a '66'. When customers are queuing up to be milked, don't blame the business! ( BTW, I took the £500 option).

Tell

Post by Tell » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:51 pm

So that's why people are turning these features on in general on VW cars and there is success with the Ateca. Think the pricing has a life of it's own where the price doesn't reflect the true cost.
Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Rodium Grey, 19", Heated Windscreen, Navigation Plus, Seat sound, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack - on the road

PaulT00

Post by PaulT00 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:45 pm
It's a bit rich accusing SEAT (like every business) in the free market of milking the customer when the customer is more than willing to pay for these things.
I believe the point I was making was that, as Tell says, the cost SEAT wanted to charge was not reflective of the true cost - I have no problem paying for the feature(s) I want, a nominal charge for someone to plug in a diagnostic computer and flip a software switch might be say 15 minutes' worth of labour; in fact I would not have paid the disproportionate cost for that options pack just to get the one feature, had we gone with the manual car. What I have a problem with is when the manufacturer deliberately bundles the one useful feature with half a dozen other useless (to me) ones and wants to charge me several hundred quid for the privilege, where in other packages the marginal cost of the feature I want is much lower. And then I also get a bit irritated with the manufacturer outright lying to me and telling me it's not possible (when in fact it is) when I quite reasonably ask if I can have just the software option I want enabled, given that all the hardware is already fitted to the car to support other functions in the same hunk of software!

A friend once had a Smart car where the approach was much more sensible - software options could be enabled (and disabled) by the dealer for a suitable charge after purchase, and even hardware options could be added by e.g. swapping out the steering wheel for one with paddles fitted and enabling the software to handle gear shifting using the paddles. It's all about treating the customer fairly in my view, which is an ethical argument rather than a supply and demand issue. I would have thought VW group would be keen to be seen to be fair, given their recent ethical difficulties...

I do understand SEAT wanting to get as much profit as possible, based on supply and demand, but there comes a point where one has to say 'thanks but no thanks'. I think with the Ateca, several options have been priced (in the UK) at a level which is disproportionate - Nav Plus, for instance - given the relatively limited additional functionality and true cost of the extras. As we move increasingly to software features this is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

Je ne suis pas une vache!
The Big Blue Bus : Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Lava Blue, 18", Heated Windscreen, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack plus, double boot floor OTR 17-MAR-2017

Magpie86

Post by Magpie86 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:45 pm

I opened another thread today "deal or no deal" where my dealer offered me £500 to take my car on 28th Feb rather the 1st March. Almost everyone has said they'd be willing to pay £500 for what amounts to 24hr for a '17' in the number plate rather than a '66'. When customers are queuing up to be milked, don't blame the business! ( BTW, I took the £500 option).
I didn't comment on the other thread but I would have taken the 500 quid everytime!
Ateca First Edition 1.0 TSI, Samoa Orange

Anteca

Post by Anteca » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Errr - I was hoping this woud be a positive thread about particular features YOU LIKE about the car. Seems to have gone off track somewhere along the line - quite soon after my first post in fact. Can we try for more positives please? Especially stuff that may not be obvious.
Bila White 1.4 Xcellence with spare wheel.

PaulT00

Post by PaulT00 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Anteca wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:58 pm
Errr - I was hoping this woud be a positive thread about particular features YOU LIKE about the car. Seems to have gone off track somewhere along the line - quite soon after my first post in fact. Can we try for more positives please? Especially stuff that may not be obvious.
sorry!