What's the deal with delivery times, UK vs. the rest of Europe?

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Sorte Per

What's the deal with delivery times, UK vs. the rest of Europe?

Post by Sorte Per » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Are new, higher, taxes on cars about to be introduced in the UK?
Is Seat throwing as many cars as possible into the UK before Brexit?
Is the UK market of such strategic importance that you get preferential treatment?
Are profits currently higher on cars exported to the UK than to continental Europe?
Did they overestimate the need for RHD over LHD and have so many RHD parts in stock that they need to get rid of them in a hurry?

I'm curious and genuinely puzzled. :lol:

We keep seeing people from the UK getting their 1.4 TSI Atecas within two to three months, while orders from continental Europe generally take twice as long.

Even if I'm happy for all you UK Ateca owners and soon-to-be owners, I can't help feeling a tiny bit of envy. ;)

I was originally quoted a wait time of three to four months when we placed our order in late November 2016, which made me stress, right from the start, that we needed the car before the summer of 2017 at the very latest. Our dealer and the Danish importer tells us they've done everything they could to push the production date of our car forward, and it looks like we'll get our Ateca just in time for our vacation - almost exactly seven months after we placed our order... If the current estimation holds, that is.
Happy owner of 1.4TSI DSG, Lava Blue, Style, w/a few extras and safety blinkenlights everywhere.
Order placed November 30th, 2016 - Build week 22, 2017 - On the road since June 21st, 2017

NeilW

Re: What's the deal with delivery times, UK vs. the rest of Europe?

Post by NeilW » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:15 pm

There are new taxes in the UK next month, but it's as likely to be that the UK anticipated higher sales so managed to obtain a higher allocation.
1.4 Excellence in Rodium Grey with mud flaps. Collected 21st Jan 2017.

tonychurly

Post by tonychurly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Ordered an Ateca last week in France delivery in early July if that helps.

Uggzy2014

Post by Uggzy2014 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:01 pm

That's a horrendous wait time, perhaps you should complain directly to Seat? From what my dealer told me it's more to do with when you ordered and what you ordered, I was told that newer orders are being expedited while last years are still waiting, I think this is more to do with avoiding bad press and loosing sales, a lot of people will be put off buying by longer wait times, so perhaps they are making sure newer orders are fulfilled quicker.

Also It may be that there simply aren't many atecas in the uk yet, I have seen 3 on the road on two weeks and I have done a lot of Milage in that time and live in an area dominated by Seats so the idea that there are more atecas here doesn't hold up
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 Eco TSI, Rodium Grey, 19" Machined Alloys, Xcellence Pack, Double Boot Floor & Silver Side Skirt Trims. Ordered 21/02/2017, left factory 26/04/2017, collected May 2017.

DSG4WD

Post by DSG4WD » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:22 pm

It used to be the case that prices , and thus profits, were higher in the UK. If it's still the case it might explain the situation.
On order - Lava blue Excellence DSG 4WD with heated windscreen, park assist, spare wheel, top view camera, adaptive cruise control and boot organiser nets.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Assuming your obervations are true (I doubt they are), one reason the 1.4tsi may be more readily available in the UK and Ireland ( I'm not forgetting our Irish friends who are not part of Continental Europe), is that diesel -v- petrol sales are roughly 50-50. Diesel on mainland Europe is more popular partly because it's the cheaper fuel.

I believe in Denmark you pay approx 1.48 for petrol and 1.28 for Diesel? Here in the UK we pay roughly 1.38 Euro and 1.49 Euro respectively.

Sorte Per

Post by Sorte Per » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 pm
Assuming your obervations are true (I doubt they are), one reason the 1.4tsi may be more readily available in the UK and Ireland ( I'm not forgetting our Irish friends who are not part of Continental Europe), is that diesel -v- petrol sales are roughly 50-50. Diesel on mainland Europe is more popular partly because it's the cheaper fuel.
I might be wrong about delivery times, so please correct me if you can. My observations are based on what I've read on this and other forums - and probably quite far from empiric.
Here it's about 60-40 in favour of petrol. So I can't see that as a valid explanation.
Happy owner of 1.4TSI DSG, Lava Blue, Style, w/a few extras and safety blinkenlights everywhere.
Order placed November 30th, 2016 - Build week 22, 2017 - On the road since June 21st, 2017

Sorte Per

Post by Sorte Per » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Uggzy2014 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:01 pm
That's a horrendous wait time, perhaps you should complain directly to Seat?
I would if I had any idea how to. :lol:

Uggzy2014 wrote:
From what my dealer told me it's more to do with when you ordered and what you ordered, I was told that newer orders are being expedited while last years are still waiting, I think this is more to do with avoiding bad press and loosing sales, a lot of people will be put off buying by longer wait times, so perhaps they are making sure newer orders are fulfilled quicker.
That sounds so incredibly unreasonable, to me. I just can't imagine how screwing over early-ish customers, would create better press than servicing all customers in an orderly first come first served fashion. Well, or as close as possible to first come first served at least.

Uggzy2014 wrote:
Also It may be that there simply aren't many atecas in the uk yet, I have seen 3 on the road on two weeks and I have done a lot of Milage in that time and live in an area dominated by Seats so the idea that there are more atecas here doesn't hold up
Less than 300 Atecas in all of Denmark at the moment, including demo units. So they're far from common here too.

Uggzy2014

Post by Uggzy2014 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Sorte Per wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:21 pm
Uggzy2014 wrote:
That's a horrendous wait time, perhaps you should complain directly to Seat?
I would if I had any idea how to. :lol:

Uggzy2014 wrote:
From what my dealer told me it's more to do with when you ordered and what you ordered, I was told that newer orders are being expedited while last years are still waiting, I think this is more to do with avoiding bad press and loosing sales, a lot of people will be put off buying by longer wait times, so perhaps they are making sure newer orders are fulfilled quicker.
That sounds so incredibly unreasonable, to me. I just can't imagine how screwing over early-ish customers, would create better press than servicing all customers in an orderly first come first served fashion. Well, or as close as possible to first come first served at least.

Uggzy2014 wrote:
Less than 300 Atecas in all of Denmark at the moment, including demo units. So they're far from common here too.
Surely there will be a way of contacting Seat directly? I know companies don't like to make it easy these days :) Try complaining on their Ateca facebook advertisement posts, they seem to respond to criticism asking for order details quite rapidly on there...

I agree it seems unfair to fulfil newer customers orders first, if that is what they are doing, and I have no proof they are, but if we had been told to expect a six month wait when we ordered two weeks ago we would have said no thanks and kept our Leon, so I suppose they have little choice if they don't want a domino effect to put off would be buyers, especially people moving across from other brands.

Seems more likely to me that waits are based on availability of what you order, for instance my dealer told me a launch customer of theirs had waited six months simply because they wanted a tow bar and Seat had a shortage of them. Perhaps it's best to order extras after getting your car... :roll:

I have no idea how many Atecas are on the road in the UK (there's 63 'approved used' in total available today according to Seat UK website) but they still seem to be very uncommon, and when googling Ateca images and youtube reviews more continental search results come up.
Given that we are a population of 65 million people, I expect even if there are more Atecas here there's probably still less per head than major continental countries (France, Germany, Spain etc), but again this is guess work and I am none the wiser.

Unfortunately I have yet to receive my build date, though my dealer told me to expect a six week wait for that and a 3 month wait for delivery so I'm going to have to be patient which isn't too difficult because to be honest I am more than happy with the Leon anyway, and wouldn't have changed if it weren't for the Mrs wanting to change cars every 3 years :lol:

I hope you get your order soon mate ;)
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 Eco TSI, Rodium Grey, 19" Machined Alloys, Xcellence Pack, Double Boot Floor & Silver Side Skirt Trims. Ordered 21/02/2017, left factory 26/04/2017, collected May 2017.

RJB

Post by RJB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:04 pm

I ordered an Ateca 1.4 TSI 150 ACT Xcel in December 2016 in Marmande, France.

I was told that delivery would be in early May 2017 with 20th May being the latest.

As this date approached I asked for an actual delivery date - I was told that the new delivery date is end of June 2017

I have just spoken with the dealer who has confessed that they don't know the date. "It's in the chain" I was told - the factory has not given us a date.

I asked how many Atecas have they received and handed over to customers to date?

Reply - NONE.

The dealer appears to be avoiding communications with me and has never volunteered any information.

WTF
In France - Ateca Xcellence 1.4 Eco TSi 150CV ACT 4Drive DSG with lots of toys
Ordered 20 Dec 2016

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”