Hybrids

The place to discuss everything else..
PSC21

Hybrids

Post by PSC21 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 pm

In the time between death of my Tiguan and collecting Ateca I have been tooling around in a Toyota C-HR ( coupe-hi rider , i kid not) Its a 1.8 petrol hybrid driving through a cvt gearbox. I also have used a Golf GTE driving through a DSG gearbox. The Golf is a better system (and far better gearbox) as it can be charged as well as self charged . However both these cars have proved to me that this hybrid tech is the way forward. I`m not really sure what MPG i got with the Golf as it was charged to work but with the C-HR i have been seeing 50 to 72 mpg in normal driving. I know I am now leaving diesel which i have been using since 2011 , however this is due to decreasing personal mileage and work car to bare the brunt of work mileage , not because of anti diesel but why don`t hybrids use the far more fuel efficient diesel tech ? Maybe WLTP doesn`t show up the efficiencies of longer mileage diesel use. It will be interesting to see if mild hybrid tech makes it into the soon to be released refreshed Leon. Please share your thoughts as a car enthusiast I am interested in your opinions.
FRS Velvet Red. Collected 17/1/20 Replacing 2018 Tiguan SEL Bitdi 4motion DSG , Replaced 2017 Leon Cupra.

dave b

Re: Hybrids

Post by dave b » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:02 pm

Diesels have been miss-sold. Anyone who does city driving should never have been sold (bought) a diesel. Most motorists are not car enthusiasts so followed the big push to diesel power, probably without really giving thought to how they use the car...they were sold the "It'll be cheaper to run...look at the economy''. Now demonised, diesels seem to have nowhere to go when in reality they are still the right cars for those that tramp up and down countries doing 20k miles a year. (Rant over)
I too like the idea of a hybrid. As we are moving to France this summer, full time, I'd need something that will do 30 miles on electric and would want a plug in rather than self charging. That way, me and the Mrs can use electric power most of the time we use the car, into town and back is about 25 miles round trip. Perhaps once a month we'd do a 70 mile round trip and then 3 or 4 times a year longer journeys. For years we've done around 30k miles a year between us....it is likely we'll be down to 8-10k from July/August onwards.

KerryB

Post by KerryB » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:21 pm

I drive a diesel because I do around 20k a year, and I need a powerful engine because I tow regularly, but I would dearly love to go down the hybrid route. If it wasn’t for the towing, I’d have gone for hybrid this time. Maybe by the time I change my current car, in 3-5 years, they’ll be making hybrid towing cars!
Lava Blue Ateca 2.0 Tdi (150) Excellence Lux DSG 4Drive, ordered 20th July 2019 (week 29) with an estimated 4 month delivery date. Update: Built Week 40; estimated ready for collection from dealer by 18/10 (week 42), i.e. 12 weeks from ordering.

Twed701

Post by Twed701 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:26 pm

dave b wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:02 pm
Diesels have been miss-sold. Anyone who does city driving should never have been sold (bought) a diesel.
Amen to that!!

I see loads of posts on car groups on facebook/forums about blocked DPFs from city driving and short trips etc and the owners know nothing about the cars and the their requirements!

I did look at a Lexus IS300 F sport before i seen the Ateca and it looked a great alternative to the devils fuel however I dont think I could live with a CVT car :oops:

PSC21

Post by PSC21 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:03 pm

Twed701 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:26 pm
dave b wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:02 pm
Diesels have been miss-sold. Anyone who does city driving should never have been sold (bought) a diesel.
Amen to that!!

I see loads of posts on car groups on facebook/forums about blocked DPFs from city driving and short trips etc and the owners know nothing about the cars and the their requirements!

I did look at a Lexus IS300 F sport before i seen the Ateca and it looked a great alternative to the devils fuel however I dont think I could live with a CVT car :oops:
That is a downside to the C-HR when you need power and the engine revs soar!
FRS Velvet Red. Collected 17/1/20 Replacing 2018 Tiguan SEL Bitdi 4motion DSG , Replaced 2017 Leon Cupra.

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:25 am

PSC21 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 pm
In the time between death of my Tiguan and collecting Ateca I have been tooling around in a Toyota C-HR ( coupe-hi rider , i kid not) Its a 1.8 petrol hybrid driving through a cvt gearbox.
Just a small technical detail: gearbox in a Toyota hybrid car is actually eCVT, not CVT. Notice the little 'e', that's a big difference, technology-wise. Regular CVT is a mechanical thing, while eCVT is a highly sophisticated electrical system. It works by adjusting generator's current output, which then alters the planetary gear's effective ratio. Mechanically extremely simple and reliable, but very hard to control from the software engineer's point of view. Basically no moving parts to wear out, except bearings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

PSC21

Post by PSC21 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:39 pm

However it still sends revs soaring to accelerate! However happy bunny as now in my Ateca!