Old Car Sale Options

The place to discuss everything else..
Bossdarbo

Old Car Sale Options

Post by Bossdarbo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:00 pm

When my Ateca eventually turns up I'll be looking to offload my Seat Leon 1.6TDI DSG Copa (2011, circa 37,000 miles). I have what I believe is a decent part exchange offer (would be very convenient) but could most likely squeeze a few more pounds from a private sale. On the back of a separate chat, 'Kee' (many thanks) has highlighted the existence of web sites that bid for your vehicle and which give better prices than trade-in but not as good as private. Anybody with any experience from such sites? Any recommendations? Kee did mention Tootle (https://www.tootle.co.uk/) but that was only because it caught the eye and may not have used it yet. Cheers.
On order Mar '17 - Ateca 1.4 Eco TSI Xcellence DSG (Black Magic). Heated windscreen, park assist, front/rear mud flaps, space saver spare wheel, high wall boot tray and rear bumper protective moulding. Delivered 7 Sep '17.

SparK

Re: Old Car Sale Options

Post by SparK » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:33 pm

I was tempted to take a local scrappage scheme deal offering €700 euro for a 1999 vw polo with no extras, mainly because I was afraid I would not sell it for more on a private sale. Tried my luck by advertising it at €1500 and would have sold it hadn't I wanted to keep it for longer. Eventually sold it a couple of days before my Ateca came for €1100 with a deal that I could keep it until my car arrived. There was even someone else interested for the same price.

Obviously the market here in Malta is probably different from that over there but eventually somebody would show up if you wait to find a private sale.
1.4TSI XC

Coljoh148

Post by Coljoh148 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:06 pm

I've found selling private to be difficult of late. Too many funny guys texting ridiculously low offers.

I have used a webuyanycar type company and found them to be fair.

They will transfer the cash and take the car away immediately if required once they have completed their checks.

Dadofett

Post by Dadofett » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:45 pm

Seat have bought my S-max off me. They paid a tad more than webuyanycar and have given me a brand new Leon to drive till my one is ready on Thursday/Friday.

I couldn't be asked with advertising and getting a load of tyre kicker.
ateca xcellence 1.4 ecotsi 150ps DSG Nevada white.

Scott1988

Post by Scott1988 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:56 pm

The SEAT garage bought my Polo for more than webuyanycar and such websites were offering so I was happy with that option.

I'm aware of these dealerbid type websites but never used them. There was a guy in work who paid £10 to advertise on dealerbid and didn't get any offers... he was under the impression that it was a bit of a scam.
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI in Black Magic on order - Build completed 16th March 2017 and due to be delivered Tuesday 25th April

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:45 pm

It all depends on how much you're asking for your car. I think anything less than £5000 then it's worth a punt trying to advertise it but anything above that and... Put yourself in to the position of the buyer. You can talk dealers down, ask them to throw in a few bits n bobs and at the end of the day you might be paying a little more but then you've the law on your side if the car is faulty. You also have the option of cheap finance which the majority of UK buyers select. However if you buy private, you have no come back unless the car was falsely advertised. Would you risk £5000 and above on a car that has no warranty and no legal comeback on?

Tried advertising my cars a few times before but no takers - anyone who was interested wanted to talk the price down to what the dealers were offering. It just wasn't worth it. Only time I did sell privately was to someone I already knew - they knew the car and it's history and how much I took care of it.

Apart from dealer, there's the weBUYanycar.com website which is very popular. Less popular tho is weWANTanycar.com The latter has always offered me better prices - I've used them twice and they've been great.

Of course the other thing that's changed over the years is 'no trade-in' deals. It used to be the case where you got a better deal if you had no part-ex, but these days dealers can make more money from used cars than they can from new cars therefore there's no benefit in going to a dealer with no part-ex. The only real benefit I found selling a car myself is if you're going to use a broker to purchase your new car. If you want to deal with a local dealership then trade-in probably the best option.

kee

Post by kee » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:22 pm

Update on my experience with tootle

My golf gti was I reckon worth approx 10k retail as there was a reasonable amount of cosmetic damage to it ie quite a few dings, scuffs, dents and kerbing to all 4 tyres.

I put it on tootle with lots of honest pics about the condition and git bids quite quickly (within a week) up to £9.3k. I decided to hold off for a better offer and relisted on tootle, but also decided to try auto trader costing me 40 quid.

What was a pleasant surprise was that the people who work for tootle called me up quite regularly to offer advice to help sell the car. Always friendly and never hard sell.

By the way the likes of webuyanycar and similar were offering approx 9k, before they try to haggle me down.

Anyway long story short, auto trader was pretty useless with only 3 enquiries. Tootle second time round only got to 9.1k but the guys helped me to call up previous trade bidders and got them to offer 9.5k which I accepted. The trader paid me in full and collected from my house with no haggling down whatsoever (they had a bodyshop to fix any issues).

All in all very happy with the service!
Ordered 22/4; BW 22; collected 25/6! 1.4 SE-T DSG, Bila, s/roof, pwr boot, lower grill, rear cam, park assist, boot flr, conv pack, disco leds, tinted rears

i.e. an Xcellence with nicer wheels and minus the "old man" leather (per my missus)

Welshman

Post by Welshman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:29 pm

SEAT offered 1.3K more than its nearest rival (9 dealerships in all) and 2.4K more than the initial off from WBAC.com (remember that this company regularly take off a further grand when they examine it closely. SEAT paid me 1.3K more than I paid for it 16 months ago in PX for a new Ateca.

kee

Post by kee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:05 pm

My seat dealer didn't even want to know about part ex
Ordered 22/4; BW 22; collected 25/6! 1.4 SE-T DSG, Bila, s/roof, pwr boot, lower grill, rear cam, park assist, boot flr, conv pack, disco leds, tinted rears

i.e. an Xcellence with nicer wheels and minus the "old man" leather (per my missus)

Bossdarbo

Post by Bossdarbo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:21 am

Kee, many thanks for the update on your Tootle experience which I'll bear in mind when I eventually get to offload my Leon - I'm not taking delivery of my Ateca until September on current forecasts!! Will certainly give it a go, if only to 'benchmark' the current part exchange price from my Ateca dealer/broker which, at face value, doesn't seem unreasonable. WBAC offer is slightly higher at the moment but, as most people have said, you would expect them to try and negotiate down quite heavily when you attempt to make the final sale. Watch this space!!
On order Mar '17 - Ateca 1.4 Eco TSI Xcellence DSG (Black Magic). Heated windscreen, park assist, front/rear mud flaps, space saver spare wheel, high wall boot tray and rear bumper protective moulding. Delivered 7 Sep '17.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”