Ceramic coating dilemma

The place to discuss everything else..
elevenses

Re: Ceramic coating dilemma

Post by elevenses » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Yes of course, Mercedes Benz employ nothing but 'bucket valeters' as you put it, for their £140,000 supercars......

I would love to hear about your years of experience in the trade, please let me know.

Meanwhile, enjoy your hideously expensive but dubiously beneficial boot polish...

Dibs

Post by Dibs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:59 am

I almost got this done but went for the Maguiars ceramic coating and applied it myself as per their video. It came out very nice but like others have said it is just a top coat that needs to be re applied every few months, it doesnt last years. you can get Maguirs from various places including Halfords who had it on special in the summer for £16, which do about 8 applications on a Ateca.

Here is a picture which is now 3 months on from the application, it is much easier to wash.

20191124_150724[1].jpg

Ateca 2.0 TDI FR 150bhp 19" wheels, Velvet Red

vectra

Post by vectra » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:21 pm

That megs stuff is literally a QD, Judging by the bonnet on your car it appears to be long dead.
MY19 Ateca FR 1.5Tsi DSG Velvet red, Digital cockpit, Beats audio, Winter pack, Leather, adaptive cruise, Electric boot, Kessy, Lane assist, Connectivity box, Alarm, Kessy, Rear view Camera. 8-)

Dibs

Post by Dibs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 pm

Yip ready for another application :-)
Ateca 2.0 TDI FR 150bhp 19" wheels, Velvet Red

vectra

Post by vectra » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:50 pm

elevenses wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:30 pm
Yes of course, Mercedes Benz employ nothing but 'bucket valeters' as you put it, for their £140,000 supercars......

I would love to hear about your years of experience in the trade, please let me know.

Meanwhile, enjoy your hideously expensive but dubiously beneficial boot polish...
I am 61, I have been valeting cars from the age of 15 to 26. Then went professional for a number of years,
I now just do an occasional detail for family and friends.
And you?
What exactly is the experience you have in detailing?
MY19 Ateca FR 1.5Tsi DSG Velvet red, Digital cockpit, Beats audio, Winter pack, Leather, adaptive cruise, Electric boot, Kessy, Lane assist, Connectivity box, Alarm, Kessy, Rear view Camera. 8-)

Nikkijamie

Post by Nikkijamie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Ceramic coating is good if the prep is done properly ( fully decontaminated bodywork and imperfections removed) most coating take 24 hours to cure in a dry dust free environment.
But all this can be undone with your local hand car wash by using very harsh acid/ truckwash cleaners that aren’t ph neutral.
Whether you think it’s worth the cost is a personal opinion.
Ateca 1.4dsg excellence 150ps, Nevada white,tow bar,seat sound

Rory

Post by Rory » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:07 am

Yanhow1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:09 am
Plus I’ve now seen vids on the holy YouTube on how a reputable source apply ceramic coat and it’s not something I’d trust to my dealer,
The dealer price would have sounded warning bells to me - as you saw in the video, proper cermaic coating isn't a trivial job. People spend £1000+ having it done.

The stuff you were offered sounds the same as Diamondbrite, Supagard etc. I've bought those off eBay for a few pounds and put on new cars in the past - it's probaby easier than waxing the car. Our Tiguan has Gardx on it, but I only agreed to it as we got a very good deal on the car and the salesman told me it was the one thing that was important to him. He made up for it losing the price of the f+r flaps on the car which is a faff of a job on Tiguan, and the boot liner.

My Mercedes has their 'Starshield' product itemised out of the final sales invoice. It had never been discussed prior to that point so I told them to take it off the invoice. They couldn't undertand my issue as the total was the agreed price. I'm as certain as a I can be that it wasn't done, it was just a scam. Left a very bad taste in what was otherwise a really good experience buying that car.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Sash

Post by Sash » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:39 pm

I am just using Gtechniq C2 liquid nano coat every other month, it takes just 5 min to apply, no hassle, no haze, no elbow grease whatsoever and it seals the paint, gives a nice hydrophobic effect and makes washing the car much easier. But then, I wash my car myself, I don't trust a street hand wash, they will ruin your clear coat in no time.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”