Votes: 40 58.0%
  • <t>No</t>

Votes: 29 42.0%

Heated Windscreen Poll

15K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  MGDisco 
#1 ·
what is the forum split?

#27 ·
You can definitely see them if your thinking about them or someone mentions them, otherwise you forget they are there and focus on the road. So sssshhh stop talking about them :lol:

#28 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. As many have said it's all down to personal preference and situation. e.g. if I lived somewhere v cold and/ or drove all the time (for work for example), then makes sense to get one. As it is, I'm happy to break out the ice scraper and air con ;)

#29 ·
:D
MackyD

From memory were lots less noticible in my Ford Focus CC, and even My Yeti wasn't as bad

These are worst I have seen by far BUT I focus past them and unless I think about it I don't notice them now

#31 ·
I've had this on a number of vehicles in the past, the first being a Ford Focus that came with the climate pack as an option for the stock order colour that we wanted. So it was not an option I had picked myself at the time. Like a number of people, I was dubious about it and thought it a bit of a gimmick.

That all changed when I experienced the windscreen icing up whilst driving one night in heavy traffic on the dual carriageway (Edinburgh city bypass) - and the washer fluid didn't have enough strength of deicer in it to help, so I ended up with a smeared, iced up windscreen - nightmare panic time! Wife suggested, put on the heated windscreen, which in a few seconds helped the wipers to dislodge some of the ice so I could still where I was going, and very quickly the screen was fully clear.

Since then, for any car I have looked at, I have taken the heated screen as an option and it is used for both deicing, demisting and whilst driving too. For those cars that have a button for rapid heating on the windscreen, mostly these are a very poor attempt to replicated the heated elements that Ford pioneered - and it's good to see that it can now be utilised by other manufacturers now, other than Ford & the previous Ford PAG group companies (Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo & Aston Martin).

I can't see a scraper being able to be used in the above scenario above but never say never... someone will find a pic or video to demonstrate that it has been done!

#32 ·
I had it on our previous cmax as it was standard, but wouldn't pay for it as an extra.
It was handy, didn't have to scrape the screen on frosty mornings and it helped stop misting, but only ever used it a handful of times in three years we had it..

#33 ·
MGDisco said:
I've had this on a number of vehicles in the past, the first being a Ford Focus that came with the climate pack as an option for the stock order colour that we wanted. So it was not an option I had picked myself at the time. Like a number of people, I was dubious about it and thought it a bit of a gimmick.

That all changed when I experienced the windscreen icing up whilst driving one night in heavy traffic on the dual carriageway (Edinburgh city bypass) - and the washer fluid didn't have enough strength of deicer in it to help, so I ended up with a smeared, iced up windscreen - nightmare panic time! Wife suggested, put on the heated windscreen, which in a few seconds helped the wipers to dislodge some of the ice so I could still where I was going, and very quickly the screen was fully clear.

Since then, for any car I have looked at, I have taken the heated screen as an option and it is used for both deicing, demisting and whilst driving too. For those cars that have a button for rapid heating on the windscreen, mostly these are a very poor attempt to replicated the heated elements that Ford pioneered - and it's good to see that it can now be utilised by other manufacturers now, other than Ford & the previous Ford PAG group companies (Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo & Aston Martin).

I can't see a scraper being able to be used in the above scenario above but never say never... someone will find a pic or video to demonstrate that it has been done!
'
This is lunacy.

1. you're driving in Scotland, in winter, without proper strength windscreen washer fluid? :roll: Apart from being a damned stupid thing to do, you'll find that legally your car wasn't roadworthy and you'd have received a fine and penalty points if caught by the police.

2. what about all the other cars on the road? Most cars don't have heated windscreens - how did they managed to drive on the Edinburgh By-pass without their windscreens icing up?

3, If you're buying heated windscreens for such a scenario, you'd be better off spending your money on basic car maintenance. Our roads are covered in salt during the winter months - you need washer fluid to clear that salt off the windscreen. No heated windscreen will ever do that!

#34 ·
We had the heated windscreen fitted. Our old LEon didn't have it and in the winter the windscreen would mist terribly and take 10 minutes to clear with the blowers on full. So had the heated windscreen fitted at Production so can getoff to work in the morning quicker!!!!

#35 ·
Lol @MGDisco

Cant belive how some think whats heated windscreen is actually made for :D
When you are already driving and engine is warm enough no windscreen should ever be iced up. This extra is for northern countries where most winters weather is below 0 and you dont have to clear windscreen with your own hands when starting car overnight.

There is also winter windscreen fluid for reason :)

#36 ·
@Golfmk56 - washer fluid was rated for using in the winter (I cannot recall to what temperature is was rated down to - it was about 15 years ago so that is not something that I care to remember now as a fact) - so should have been strong enough but couldn't cope with travelling at 50 - 60mph and whatever the resultant temperature that the windscreen was at on the outside at that precise time the icing happened. What happened when it was scooshed made it worse, not better and was aided by the heated screen being switched on - just a coincidence perhaps? As the washer fluid was able to be pumped and fed out through the washer jets, it was coping with the temperature and wasn't itself frozen - just on contact with the windscreen it appeared to freeze along with the ice already starting to form.

@Supreme - I do agree that the windscreen, if properly warmed through by driving, shouldn't have this icing happen - but it did that particular night and it was not a pleasant experience. I do recall the radio presenter coming on a while after and announcing drivers to be aware of freezing fog affecting the Edinburgh area, so that could well of been the start of it. Did the heated screen help - yes it did, thankfully. As mentioned above - a coincidence perhaps?

I hope never again to have it happen like that - which so far I have not, I hope that no-one else does too.

I do also prepare the washer fluid with as low a temperature rating as I can, even adding it neat when necessary to boost the rating - so I do take responsibility for being prepared as best I can, including making use of a heated screen (of whatever variety may be fitted to the vehicle) to help demist and deice the screen if necessary.

Our latest Land Rover Discovery needs it as it seems to have a weirdly applied algorithm to the heating control - even with a set temp of 24 deg C, it will blow freezing cold air onto the windscreen to regulate the temperature (which it fails to miserably as you end up with roasting hot feet, and a freezing cold upper body and arms). This also leads to the screen misting up, and the only way we have found so far is to turn on the heated screen to demist. So again, a heated screen has come in useful even though it should not probably be required to be operated in this manner. Our previous 2 Discoveries (Series 3 and 4, same heating/climate system) did not, so it is an issue that is still being discussed with our dealer even with the summer months (well it may have been and gone up here :lol: ) upon us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.