Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

New maps

11K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  SylP 
#1 ·
Few days ago noticed new maps are available. They are dated May 2017 but I'm pretty sure I've checked mid June and latest were Nov 2016.

Anyway... downloaded them, unpacked to the card but in the car they are not available.

Upon inserting getting message that detected navigation card, then checking for few moments, finally that maps are not available.

Unpacked old maps to the card and it worked fine.
Bought a new card, unpacked to it and again - new maps don't work, old do.

Have you checked new maps yet? Do they work for you?

#2 ·
I think in the UK you cannot simply download maps to the card they have to be coded at the dealer... in Europe they have a service called 'map care' which is a subscription service which allows updates of the maps. seemed a very sensible approach unfortunately VW AG UK do not seem all that sensible in their approach to their customers is a good way to get in excess of £100 out of us.... do not think it is really necessary after one or two years but after three or four, or if the government to follow through with their promise of building lots of new roads it would be worthwhile

#3 ·
I'm based in Ireland and I was told at dealership that updates are downloadable from the internet. I paid about 80 euro for updates, however I don't know how it works as the download link is public for all (found it somewhere in this forum).

Strangely, upon collection there were no maps installed at all. After a week I reported this to dealer and got sealed-new SD card few days later. The card was write-protected and worked from the first insert so definitely there were no coding nor pairing.

#4 ·
pch said:
I'm based in Ireland and I was told at dealership that updates are downloadable from the internet. I paid about 80 euro for updates, however I don't know how it works as the download link is public for all (found it somewhere in this forum).

Strangely, upon collection there were no maps installed at all. After a week I reported this to dealer and got sealed-new SD card few days later. The card was write-protected and worked from the first insert so definitely there were no coding nor pairing.
That's interesting I would have thought they have the same as UK maps via mr dealer on SEAT SD card and locked to card/car....

#5 ·
The website is for Mapcare customers only. In UK you have to buy a new card each time.
The SD card is locked to the car on first use using the CID number of the card (unique hard coded number that cant be changed). Your new card cant be used in any other car now and cant be updated simply by overwriting the map files as there are encrypted files unique to your car.

There are ways emerging to get new maps by spoofing the CID number on certain hackable SD cards or copying encrypted files over but its a lot of work and effort just to stay up to date! I never updated the maps in my Leon for 6 years and never had an issue.

#6 ·
I'm not getting that.
1. How the website knows I'm Mapcare user - there is no login or so. Just plain link. Everyone can download new maps.
2. How CID can be stored on the card when card is write-protected? It's a mechanical switch which cannot be overridden.
3. I compared all files and their contend from my SD card with files downloadable (ver Nov '16) and all of them were the same which means there were not modified by CID encryption.
4. Instruction to update clearly states procedure: wipe the card and unpack new files.

Even if somehow magically car is able to ignore physical write-lock switch the card is still linked to my car but new update did not work. When wiped and unpacked old maps they worked.

#7 ·
What's all the fuss about new maps,many of us old farts that have been on the road for a few years find it laughable at some forms of technology, sat nav can be a right pain in the BUM, well how many of you have been taken to where you did not want to be, always carry an old style map with you folks.

#8 ·
fujixpro said:
What's all the fuss about new maps,many of us old farts that have been on the road for a few years find it laughable at some forms of technology, sat nav can be a right pain in the BUM, well how many of you have been taken to where you did not want to be, always carry an old style map with you folks.
Sure fujixpro. No problem at all.
Sorry, but your opinion does not add anything constructive to the problem of updating maps.You still have the same discussion about differences between H4 headlights over LED - you still can see the road right? I didn't ask for advice whether to get one feature or not.

No offence here but when I paid for updates I want to have it updated. Full stop. Just asking other forum members if they experienced the same issues and how to fix them.

Again - no offence here but if you don't have anything positive to add - you can just ignore this thread.

#9 ·
Correct, mapcare is not itself private or secure, anyone can download the maps (I did last week). The security is on the SD card (SD stands for Secure Digital after all)
CID is part of the SD specification. Its not a file or something else on a partition, its hard coded to each cards registry and is unique. The old RNS315 systems also had a locking password generated which locked it down even more than the MIB2 cards.

I don't know what is different between a mapcare and a non-mapcare SD card, but when paired with the car, an encrypted file is made that links the car to the CID. I'm guessing that in the UK this can only be done once and when you overwrite the files you destroy that relationship. Mapcare cards maybe has other time or usage restriction for number of times this can be written.
Going through ETKA, there are at least 5 SD cards with western Europe maps on. I would speculate that the maps are the same but the security and abilities are different.

If you want to do more reading on it, look up Richard Burtons CID project and related posts on seatcupra.net. There is a lot of information out there already.

#10 ·
That makes sense - it looks like car stores the ID of SD card with a map.
If the card is secure it should not allow to write data on protected card.

This explains why they advice to use the same card for updates so wiping should not delete this relationship.

And I can confirm that:
1) New maps data on the same card did not work
2) Old maps data on the same card worked - but data was from previously downloaded seat updates (not from backup). In the mean time I compared content of files and backup was 100% match to downloaded files.

All above is good to know but my issue remains unsolved - I've downloaded new maps and they didn't work (even from original card).

loffler said:
anyone can download the maps (I did last week)
Do you mean you have installed and it works?

#11 ·
I don't understand what you are trying to achieve, why would you think the new maps would work by simply copying the files across if you don't have mapcare?

You say the files are 100% match, but what are you comparing - filenames, filesize, number of files or checksums?
I suspect the number of files and the filenames match but the sizes and checksums of a couple files are different. You said yourself one work and the other doesn't so they cant be the same...

#12 ·
I'm sorry if I was not clear.
I want to upgrade my maps, I have mapcare and the instruction given on the site says - delete files from the card and replace with new files.

That's the objective. Unfortunately after the procedure new maps were not recognised by car and I asked here for help.

If anyone know how to help me - please stop reading and reply. But if you are interested with some background and the steps taken - please continue reading.

I had 3 versions of files:
A) original from Seat SD card - dated Nov 2016
B) downloaded from the site - dated Nov 2016
C) new - dated May 2017

Per instruction - took a card out from the car and created a backup on my machine (files A ).
Deleted everything from the card and unpacked there new files C.

In the meanwhile compared files A and B - it was content compare and I presume the tool (Total Commander) uses checksum method for compare. Files (I should say directories) were exactly the same - same number of files, same dir structure and file content etc...
(BTW I'm IT guy and I know how to deal with files eg. copy, move, compare, unpack etc.)

Deleted maps A as I still have packed the same version B

Maps were not recognised so deleted them and loaded back version B - maps working (but old version).

As an experiment loaded new files C to brand new card - still no luck.

So as of now I have on original card maps B but updating them to C did not work.

All above replies helped me to understand some relationships between the card and vehicle but I still have no updated maps.

So the question remains How to update maps?

#14 ·
OK, I must have misunderstood your intentions, it wasn't clear you had paid for mapcare.
I am in the UK so have not got mapcare, I only downloaded to interrogate and compare.
I suggest you speak to SEAT or your dealer to confirm you have actually been given a mapcare SD card.
What is the part number on your card out of interest? I did notice in the dbinfo.txt files, my card was not listed. Presumably the numbers in this file are the mapcare part numbers - maybe see if your part number is listed.

#16 ·
OK things getting clearer...
Seems like the card's ID (CID) is recognised by the car and based on this the car should know what is allowed on the card.

Makes sense...

While ago sent email to my dealer for clarification and to ensure I received correct card. Hope they reply soon.
My part number is 7RE/77Q or EA-Partnumer 6P0.919.866.M

What is dbinfo.txt?

As side note (to self? ;) )
I believe my card should work in any ateca or even any seat (no new information is written to the card), but it cannot be copied or updated.

#18 ·
This is the same part number as my SD card - I do not have mapcare.
In the files I downloaded, there is this file /maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt
It lists part numbers which I presume have something to do with compatibility or fills in the information screen on the nav unit.
This part number is not included in dbinfo.txt so might indicate this part number is not compatible with mapcare downloads?
The part numbers are not all SEAT numbers, some are VW and Skoda, so yes the download file is universal.

#19 ·
pch said:
if you don't have anything positive to add - you can just ignore this thread.
pch ~ it's a forum. anyone can, and will, say anything they want in any thread ~ you could have just taken your own advice and ignored the comment ;)

#20 ·
Tested with a french Ateca owner:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4731938#post4731938
He was able to switch from the 0635 version to the newest available 0820.

This method seems to work for users of Navi systems (6P0) only (notre Navi +).
It seems a user had an VCDS error - I quote:
Hi, I still have the error code B126CF2 on OBDeleven, I've updated the map to version 0820. I didn't find a solution to delete the error. The navigation is working very good and doesn't bother me if everything is working fine.

I can't confirm that the new navigation data are really updated with this method, if somebody knows a road that is updated with this version 0820 please let me know.

Regards,
SylP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.