Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

ACC sensor fail

7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
So I'm on a 3 week tour of Scandinavia and it's pretty buggy and hot. So when I got a message about the ACC failed I figured it was covered in bug guts. So I stopped and cleaned it. Back in and its fine. Then not too much longer it came on again. Checked it, no bugs. It did that a couple times but I just kept driving since it only affects the not having cruise control. The weather wasn't really hot and no rain. Will have it looked at when I get home.
ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

G
#2 ·
Yep, it seems to get a bit confused sometimes. Usually it's in rain, but sometimes there is no clear, visible reason. One thing is parking "nose up", like almost on top of a hill with nothing but sky ahead. So when you start the car, the sensor does not see terrain, and gets confused.

#3 ·
I have had this countless many times when you drive through roads with heavy thick woodlands with full green leaves on either side, it seems to go blind..... very roads when you would want it to be an extra safety feature it goes AWOL. Did complain to the local garage last service and they checked the system and said there was "no faults" and these things "just happen"

#4 ·
Yes, I've had this several times. Occasionally it comes up as I'm going along and then clears itself. Normally there is nothing on the big badge but I agree that rain / condensation is a big culprit.

The emergency braking alarm is still going off but less often than it used to. This is probably down to me changing my driving style when I get to a place where I think it might go off (country lane greenery) and I subconsciously slow down. Not had a lock up for a while now.

G
#5 ·
jamesiow said:
I have had this countless many times when you drive through roads with heavy thick woodlands with full green leaves on either side, it seems to go blind.....
Interesting, I thought that it had tendency to make unnecessary emergency braking in those kind of conditions? At least that's what many people have complained about in the forum. This is the first time I see someone telling that it goes out of order in this situation.

For me, it used to fail on rain frequently when the car was new, but nowadays it does not happen so often anymore. And what comes to unwarranted alarms and brakings, my count is 1 + 0 after 15 months and 26 000 km (16 000 miles). I just got my first unwarranted alarm the other day, and still no emergency brakings so far. The only alarm I have got so far came, when I was heading to tunnel under railway bridge, and there was train on bridge at the same time.

#6 ·
Thanks guys. Very strange system I guess. It's been fine since I posted about the problem. Crazy. But still living the Ateca.

#7 ·
On holiday in Lakes this week when passing a man and his dog walking towards us on side of the road. Suddenly car braked to a stop, wheels locked briefly, the man looked at us most strangely as he passed us by, we suddenly realised that the car had gone into emergency braking mode even though we were at a really slow speed and passed with plenty of room!
Also had warning displayed this week driving in rain. Cleared once back in dry conditions.
It's not very confidence buldiing with warning lights on the dash and car braking unexpectedly.
New drivers be wary!

G
#8 ·
RB211 said:
On holiday in Lakes this week when passing a man and his dog walking towards us on side of the road. Suddenly car braked to a stop, wheels locked briefly, the man looked at us most strangely as he passed us by, we suddenly realised that the car had gone into emergency braking mode even though we were at a really slow speed and passed with plenty of room!
Did you get audible alarm too, when the car was braking? I have never ever had an emergency braking, but I think you should get audible alert too when that happens. On the other hand, if you use the ACC it will brake silently, that has happened to me a lot of times. That's not actually "emergency braking", just a (very hard) normal automatic braking.

#9 ·
Yep. Audio Alarm sounded. As I came to a complete stop and gathered myself in the nano seconds after the event, I definitely heard the alarm over the noise of ABS. Didn't see wether red warning flashed up as I was looking through windshield at the time. Post event we wondered if the car had seen the dog rather than the person and decided to brake! Definitely caught me unexpectently !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.