Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Thoughts on the 1.0 TSI?

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Pauleo 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I'm super exited about taking delivery of my Ateca 1.0 TSI SE L in the next week or so. I had been looking at getting an Ateca for a while and managed to get a pretty good discount. I took the 1.0 TSI for a test drive and remember feeling pretty happy with it.

My concern is that I have now read a lot about the 1.0 TSI and the opinions are pretty varied. Auto Express seem to really rate the engine but some other reviewers comment on the lack of power. My thoughts are that many of the negative opinions you hear are from people who haven't actually driven the engine and just assume this is too small for an SUV! I find that pretty annoying. Moreover, I was a little concerned to find that the 1.0 doesn't include the driving mode selector.

I would be really interested to hear from people who actually own this engine or have had spent some time with it. How is it? Does it go well?

I know the 1.4/1.5 TSI engine is faster and more powerful but is the 1.0 TSI actually any good? I wont just be using the car as a family run around, ill be doing a 40 mile round trip to work using duel carriageways. I have read that it can keep up with vehicles on the motorway but people keep saying it more appropriate for town. Surely Seat wouldn't include an engine not actually capable of powering a medium sized SUV?

Interestingly the SE L comes with the new 2018 engine. Strangely the MPG seems slightly lower than the previous 1.0 TSI and the CO2 output is slightly higher at 122 compared to 120. These stats are almost identical to the 1.4 TSI. I have done a lot of research and cant tell what the difference is between the 2018 engine and previous years. Any ideas? Seat don't seem to be able to tell me. It doesn't make much sense that they would make the engine worse in the 2018 model?

Many thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi MikeyMike.
I have had my 1.0 TSI SE Technology Ateca for a week. The thing that both myself and friends notice is the engine. There is no way you would think it is a 1.0. It pulls really well (in 1st and 2nd it is pretty quick) and is matched to a great gearbox. Yes going up hills you need to use the gears but I am getting 44mpg around town and on a motorway run to Manchester and back (50 miles) I was getting 51.6mpg. I absolutely love the car and so glad I chose the 1.0 engine which suits my driving fine. I would have no hesitation recommending it to others.
Wilber6

Reactions: InnesR
#3 ·
Thanks so much for your reply.

Its very reassuring to hear you are enjoying the 1.0 TSI engine. I just kept questioning whether or not I had made the right decision. I think the 1 litre will be fine for me, it certainly seemed to go well on the test run. I live in rural North Yorkshire so its pretty hilly. I guess I will just have to get used to using the gears like you say! Its a shame they didn't include the driver modes but I guess with such a small engine theres no point.

I think a lot of the people who slate this engine have not driven it and just assume its too small for an SUV. I'm looking forwards to getting mine, hopefully I wont have to wait too long!

Glad your enjoying your car!

Thanks again.

#4 ·
I don't own a 1.0 litre ( i don't any seat until delivery 🤐) but i talked to a 1.0 owner and he was very happy with his car. It was quick enough for him and he loved driving it.

#5 ·
Frankly the driver modes don't make much difference unless you have the DSG. Then the Sport mode livens it up a bit by keeping the revs up, but you can control that yourself easily enough on the manual. At least you don't get the awful "granny" mode called ECO. I think a well loaded 1.0 in granny mode would put you off driving!

#7 ·
Had my 1.0 SE Tech since June 2017 and just coming up to 21000 miles, the engine is more than adequate for the car, it's definitely loosened up now and is getting 45-50 mpg everyday driving
You do have to prepare for A road overtakes a bit more than bigger engines but it can manage it, motorway speeds it's very refined and certainly cruises well for a tiny engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.