Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Getting a tyre repaired at a tyre repair shop after using tyre sealant

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Wilber6 
#1 ·
I am going on a fairly long drive soon and I don't have a spare wheel, just the electric air pump and tube of sealant to use after a puncture. When I asked number of tyre repair shops, some said they don't repair tyres after a sealant had been used.
Has anyone been able to get their tyre repaired after using the sealant (obviously assuming it was a straight forward puncture that was able to be repaired) or is this a problem we need to be aware of?
Wilber6

#2 ·
VW and Seat salesmen will swear blind that tyre shops can clean their sealant out and repair the tyre (assuming it is repairable) if you get it in within I think it's 48 hours. However none of the major high street dealers - KwikFit, Motorway etc want to know. For peace of mind I bought a get u home spare from The Wheel Shop in Manchester for £139 including a jack and cover.

PS I didn't buy the raised floor kit - the wheel in its case sits nicely upright against the inner off-side wall of the boot secured with a bunge

#3 ·
I think SEAT UK is short changing you. In Spain (and probably other EU countries) they offer a 3 year warranty on tyres. Any damage is covered, including vandalism.

G
#5 ·
I don't know if it depends on the type of the sealant? There are two types; one is sort of foam that is sprayed out of an aerosol can, the other one is like latex that is poured into the tyre after removing the valve. VW group uses the latter, at least my previous Skoda had a bottle of that one.

#6 ·
Good morning everyone.

Well, I decided that I didn't want to risk using the can of tyre sealant if I ever get a puncture and potentially then have to buy a new tyre, because the tyre service shop weren't prepared to repair the tyre following the use of the sealant.

I found a seller on Ebay who had the correct size space saver wheel and tyre for sale for £25 (it came from a recently written off Leon on a 2017 plate).

When I went to pick it up, he was a small business who buy parts from written off cars and sells them on. He actually also had the correct jack, wheel brace, etc all in the original polystyrene moulding that fits in the space saver wheel under the hatchback floor.

I proceeded to buy the lot for £40 and as you would expect, it/they fit perfectly in the space under the hatchback floor. Yes, I did remember to transfer my locking wheel nut socket from the original sealant/inflator pump set that came with my Ateca!

I asked him about other parts suitable for an Ateca, but this was all he managed to get, as the written off Leon had already been stripped bare.

I will feel easier now when we go on a long drive having a spare wheel if ever needed.

Best regards, Wilber6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.