Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Automatic handbrake questions

33K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  Frodo2018 
#1 ·
The Ateca Xcellence is the first car I've owned without a physical handbrake. It has "P" and "A" buttons to the driver's left hand side. I don't fully understand the function of each button. When I test drove the Ateca, I think I manually put on the "P" handbrake and it then released itself (?) when I drove off. With my own Ateca, it puts the handbrake on itself (Green handbrake sign lights up on dashboard). When I drive off it releases automatically. When I switch the engine off the Green handbrake light changes to Red.

So what is the precise function of each button? (P and A)
What is the correct procedure for parking up?

Thanks
A2A

#2 ·
P is the proper parking electric handbrake, A is autohold which the mechanical foot brake calipers lock on every time you stop, eg at lights, in traffic, at junctions, and to help with pulling away on an incline etc
Not everyone uses Autohold, but I love it... with autohold off you have to manually activate P or keep foot on brake or the car will roll...
with autohold once the green light comes on you can take foot off brake..

P will only activate automatically if you switch off the engine or open drivers door, other than that it needs to be manually pressed...
both A&P will auto release upon moving away, lifting clutch (manual) or throttle down (auto)..

Only major difference is with P (red light) the brake lights go out, with A (green light) they remain lit...
A also only works with drivers door closed, if you open door, P activates!

#3 ·
Ghiggz said:
P is the proper parking electric handbrake, A is autohold which the mechanical foot brake calipers lock on every time you stop, eg at lights, in traffic, at junctions, and to help with pulling away on an incline etc
Not everyone uses Autohold, but I love it... with autohold off you have to manually activate P or keep foot on brake or the car will roll...
with autohold once the green light comes on you can take foot off brake..

P will only activate automatically if you switch off the engine or open drivers door, other than that it needs to be manually pressed...
both A&P will auto release upon moving away, lifting clutch (manual) or throttle down (auto)..

Only major difference is with P (red light) the brake lights go out, with A (green light) they remain lit...
A also only works with drivers door closed, if you open door, P activates!
Thanks Ghiggz, so driving around with A always on and letting the car do it stuff is just fine then? I never manually use P, because A always beats me to it! :D

It suits my driving, because I tended to put the handbrake on at lights rather than hold the car with foot brake or clutch. So the car does that for me.

#5 ·
With DSG cars the situation is slightly different as the combination of SS, AH and PB can affect the response to moving off. As a result, I tend to keep the AH off as the natural "creep" of a DSG means you will not roll back on a slight incline. I only use the PB when I have "finished with engines" (a nautical term!)

#10 ·
Yes, it does work fine. I seem to remember that it was Tel who went on and on about how SS interfered with his ability to pull away at a roundabout/junction etc and have 50% of all German DSG drivers agreed with him! He is still banging on about it on his lonely forum, but there is no one there to listen!

With DSG it does work better when maneuvering to turn AH off, if you use park assist the ability to "creep" is important, otherwise you can find it difficult to control the slow speed maneuvers as they can get a bit lurchy.

Manual owners really don't need to worry about it as you have a clutch and more control than you have with auto.

#11 ·
Fred99 said:
Yes, it does work fine. I seem to remember that it was Tel who went on and on about how SS interfered with his ability to pull away at a roundabout/junction etc and have 50% of all German DSG drivers agreed with him! He is still banging on about it on his lonely forum, but there is no one there to listen!

With DSG it does work better when maneuvering to turn AH off, if you use park assist the ability to "creep" is important, otherwise you can find it difficult to control the slow speed maneuvers as they can get a bit lurchy.

Manual owners really don't need to worry about it as you have a clutch and more control than you have with auto.
Fred, I don't find this a problem. I've got in the habit of giving the accelerator a quick tap to get going and it then creeps and can be driven on the brake. Light brake pressure does not reinstate auto hold or stop/start even if you stop the car. It's worth developing some different techniques to get the maximum out of the new technology.

#12 ·
Another 'set and forget' supporter.

The system in the mk7 Golf was identical, the only difference being the handbrake wasn't so keen on releasing when moving away with the result small black tyre skid-marks appeared on the driveway. The autohold (footbrake) alwways worked OK, but no smooth getaways when the Parking brake released. (I'm sure a few blobs of WD40 would have cured the problem :lol: ) I'm sure I've read of some other VW group cars having similar issues.

Can't in anyway fault the system on the Ateca though, it works perfectly. Easily the best electronic brake system I've used.

#13 ·
All I am saying is that on a DSG the AH doesn't do much as if it is off, the car creeps so it does not roll back but it does make a difference in tight manoeuvres as with it on you do not get the creep effect which can make life easier.

It all works perfectly well with it on but it can be useful to turn it off. If you don't find that useful, fine, but I do. Make you own decision. I am merely pointing out that it is an option that is not described in the manual.

Take it or leave it - I don't really care.

#14 ·
So if I've understood this correctly, P should come on automatically when the engine is turned off? This doesn't seem to work for me. I mostly leave AH off. Is that the reason?

#15 ·
From what I could see, the parking brake is also influenced by disabling the AH. It will not automatically engage when you switch off the engine by choice if AH is off(only when AH is on). Nevertheless it will switch off automatically when you start and select D to pull away. I also find it easier to switch AH off for tight maneuvers. If AH is on, you could also avoid activating hold function by not going to a complete stop but just always keeping it slowly creeping.

#16 ·
Saggy said:
DSG4WD said:
I leave everything on and let the car sort it out - works just fine :D
Me too :)
I'm going to be in this camp when I get mine. This car is way more sophisticated compared to anything else I've driven, so it's best I keep things simple :lol:

#17 ·
LoftheM said:
I'm going to be in this camp when I get mine. This car is way more sophisticated compared to anything else I've driven, so it's best I keep things simple :lol:
That's very true and if your car is a manual then I cannot see any reason not to use PB and AH in the normal way.

My comments relate to DSG cars where other factors come into play which are not relevant to a manual car.

Yes, it's perfectly possible to get the car to disengage AH, by a tap on the throttle, but try that when you are doing a tight parking maneuvre or using park assist and you might find you have a problem! I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the system, but you can improve on it if you take the trouble.

#18 ·
Fred99 said:
All I am saying is that on a DSG the AH doesn't do much as if it is off, the car creeps so it does not roll back but it does make a difference in tight manoeuvres as with it on you do not get the creep effect which can make life easier.

It all works perfectly well with it on but it can be useful to turn it off. If you don't find that useful, fine, but I do. Make you own decision. I am merely pointing out that it is an option that is not described in the manual.

Take it or leave it - I don't really care.
Blimey, missed out on your medication today? I was simply relating my experience. Like you say, take it or leave it.

#19 ·
Thanks everyone. It just seemed far too easy and fitted by driving style perfectly, so I thought I must be doing something wrong! An added bonus is that my wife has not yet driven the car, because she is worried about the automatic breaking being troublesome. She can stick to her mini then :)

#20 ·
Accord2Ateca said:
Thanks everyone. It just seemed far too easy and fitted by driving style perfectly, so I thought I must be doing something wrong! An added bonus is that my wife has not yet driven the car, because she is worried about the automatic breaking being troublesome. She can stick to her mini then :)
I felt like that after the test drive. It was a strange concept just getting out of the car without having to manually put a handbrake on :)

G
#22 ·
fujixpro said:
if you are sitting on a hill or any form of gradient eg at traffic lights etc I always apply the wee hand brake lever because this applies a better braking power for the car.
How come? Autohold normally uses hydraulic brakes, which are far more powerful that the parking brake.

#23 ·
What made me think I was doing something wrong was that my test drive was different - I had to manually use the P brake (my wife says I'm always needing a P brake :lol: ;) ). Presumably they had the Auto hold off.

#24 ·
Apologies if I have missed this in the feed.
I have a 2018 Ateca and often I will get in the car which is parked on my drive which has a slight downward slop. I put the key in and the press the clutch in order to start the car at which point the car starts rolling forward causing me to quickly stamp on the brake before it crashes into the house. The electronic handbrake has turned itself off for some reason. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Thanks

#25 ·
When you park the car up at night, do you press any buttons related to the handbrake? If it's set up to function normally, the handbrake should come on when you turn the engine off, and still be on when you start the car in the morning. Just don't press any handbrake buttons. This particularly applies to the back button unless you want to disengage the auto handbrake, for example, when you go in a conveyor belt car wash.

#26 ·
Nicky1457 said:
Apologies if I have missed this in the feed.
I have a 2018 Ateca and often I will get in the car which is parked on my drive which has a slight downward slop. I put the key in and the press the clutch in order to start the car at which point the car starts rolling forward causing me to quickly stamp on the brake before it crashes into the house. The electronic handbrake has turned itself off for some reason. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Thanks
I have very occasionally experienced this issue too. At work I park on a slight rearward incline by a stone wall. A couple of times now I have started the car, only to hear the rear parking indicators start getting excited. I realise the car is rolling slowly, backwards towards the wall and stomp on the brakes.

I always have Autohold on, and sometimes from force of habit I manually apply the P brake before turning the engine off. I don't know if it is related to the door, seatbelt, or maybe releasing the clutch at the wrong time after starting. Its so rare, but shocking... And always after a hard day's work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.