Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Seat Ateca FR Sport 1.5 TSI

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  felup 
#1 ·
Hi all,

A (hopefully) soon to be Ateca driver here, its been my dream for a while.

Yesterday I put a reservation on a beautiful FR Sport but my car knowledge is rather limited and I have a few questions in relation to wheels and tyres.

The vehicle comes with 19" rims and Bridgestone S001 235/40 tyres, they look great and I'm sure it will handle great but... The ride comfort is also quite important to me.

1. How firm is the ride? People say that you feel the bumps with low profile tyres.

2. How is it in the winter weather? What do you guys do in snow and ice?

3. Is there enough room with the 19" alloys to fit tyres with a larger sidewall?

Thanks in advance, maybe I'm worrying over nothing but we live on an elevated hill that can be affected by bad weather!

Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and welcome

I think you'll find that for larger sidewall tires that smaller rims (18" or 17") are needed to maintain the overall diameter so speedo remain correct.

I have the 19" and yes they are a little firmer than the other, but I prefer that as the handling has less wallow.

Can't comment on snow - yet as least :)

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, its very helpful.

What is the main factor in wheels / tyres for combating snow? Is it the sidewall depth or is it something else about the tyre?

Basically do low profile tyres mean that it WILL be bad in snow?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a car newbie.

#5 ·
daparr said:
Thanks for the reply, its very helpful.

What is the main factor in wheels / tyres for combating snow? Is it the sidewall depth or is it something else about the tyre?

Basically do low profile tyres mean that it WILL be bad in snow?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a car newbie.
It's not so much the sidewall that's the problem, it's the 245 width. The smaller the tyre, the better it'll tackle snow.

That said, the main problem driving in snow is your car has summer tyres - it'll operate better with all-season or winter tyres.

Don't fall in to the same trap of thinking a 4x4 can somehow tackle snow and ice with summer tyres. It cannot. 4x4 is good for off-road, snow and ice is a completey different story. Yes a 4x4 vehicle is better than two wheel drive if they both have summer tyres, but a two-wheel drive car fitted with all-season or winter tyres is much better tackling snow than any 4x4 on summer tyres.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.