Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Park brake recall

17K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Rory 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Doesn't include ours - looks like it's cars built as model year 2017 and 18. Our Sept 18 car is MY19 from the VIN.

Must say when daughter set off from here the other evening the car seemed to require quite a positive effort the get going - I know some people think these autohold and electric handbrake systems are great but to me they seem like the answer to a problem that never existed. She said she always checks the brake is on when leaving the car but "kids" don't seem to like leaving cars in gear.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Just phoned Mr dealer and had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. And untill look on computer they told me to wait for the letter. Er no you book it in now and give you a date to fix it. Which stated some point in mid January.

Wonder why SEAT have such bad satisfaction post sales!

#5 ·
If you look on the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency there is currently 3 Recall faults on the Ateca. Mine is one of the ones affected with the park brake as it will not disengage when the clutch is released and then all of a sudden the car lurches forward. My dealership has had my Ateca with them for this fault and another fault since 4 December and still not got the car back. SEAT UK now looking into this for me as I told them I do not want the car back if they cannot fix the faults on it as it is only 4 months old.

#6 ·
My car had the fix last Friday whilst in for other warranty work including the rear parking sensors, which had stopped working. Dealer explained that a software update was due, apparently there were instances of the parking brake releasing when it shouldn't have. Only difference now is more revs required when pulling away with parking brake on, otherwise all fine.

#7 ·
When I took my MY19 to my dealership in Nov (to check if TSR could/should be enabled) they said that they did a couple of software updates.
I don't know what one of them was for but the second was "for the headlights".
I notice in the above link that one of the updates 2 is for the inclination of the left headlight may be adjusted at an incorrect angle and includes the date range that my car was built.
Azure Rectangle Font Parallel Circle

Attachments

#8 ·
Rory said:
Doesn't include ours - looks like it's cars built as model year 2017 and 18. Our Sept 18 car is MY19 from the VIN.

Must say when daughter set off from here the other evening the car seemed to require quite a positive effort the get going - I know some people think these autohold and electric handbrake systems are great but to me they seem like the answer to a problem that never existed. She said she always checks the brake is on when leaving the car but "kids" don't seem to like leaving cars in gear.
Agreed - Very little benefit in removing a handbrake and making it "automatic" as when it goes wrong, there's not much of a "backup" as I found the other week.

As for leaving it in gear, I certainly do that, being old (school) :) and not trusting any brakes..I also turn the wheels into/away from the kerb when parking on a hill.

G
#9 ·
Rory said:
I know some people think these autohold and electric handbrake systems are great but to me they seem like the answer to a problem that never existed.
Well, it depends on what your problem is. The only problem I've ever had with a handbrake, was water ingress inside the Bowden cable and subsequent freezing in subzero temperatures. For that, the electric handbrake is very much the right answer. :)

#10 ·
Well, my Ateca was called in for this "Recall" even though I had never had an issue.
Since then I've noticed one or two "quirks" with the software update.

I am pretty sure I never had to rev the nuts off it when I was pulling away in 1st or reverse (ok not revving it stupidly but a decent amount more than before)
I am pretty sure it release the HB every time I brought the clutch up to move forward
I am pretty sure the release of the HB didn't cause the car the act as though I'd left the HB on slightly and pull the back of the car down.

Because of this there are a few times when I have the clutch raised and the car is trying to move and what follows is a smell of burning clutch!!
Pretty glad its a company motor as I doubt that clutch is going to last the full 4 years.

On a plus note, on a drive back from Cornwall earlier this month I averaged 57mpg.

#11 ·
Atecamack said:
Well, my Ateca was called in for this "Recall" even though I had never had an issue.
Since then I've noticed one or two "quirks" with the software update.

I am pretty sure I never had to rev the nuts off it when I was pulling away in 1st or reverse (ok not revving it stupidly but a decent amount more than before)
I am pretty sure it release the HB every time I brought the clutch up to move forward
I am pretty sure the release of the HB didn't cause the car the act as though I'd left the HB on slightly and pull the back of the car down.

Because of this there are a few times when I have the clutch raised and the car is trying to move and what follows is a smell of burning clutch!!
Pretty glad its a company motor as I doubt that clutch is going to last the full 4 years.

On a plus note, on a drive back from Cornwall earlier this month I averaged 57mpg.
I also noticed this after my Ateca was updated with the handbrake recall. Since the update I've noticed that it does need revved more in order to release the handbrake whereas before you just had to raise the clutch slightly and the handbrake would disconnect. My wife's Audi is similar to the way the Ateca used to be releasing the handbrake by just lifting the clutch. Very annoying and sometimes I can end up having a kangaroo like effect when pulling away. It's a shame they can't revert the car back to the way it was prior to the update.

G
#12 ·
Do you guys leave the handbrake on, when pulling away? If so, I suggest you use the AutoHold for that instead. Automatic release of the parking brake is there only as a safety precaution, it's not meant to be used on a daily basis. That's what the AutoHold is for. Or were you actually referring to AutoHold, when talking about "handbrake"?

#13 ·
Tet70 said:
Do you guys leave the handbrake on, when pulling away? If so, I suggest you use the AutoHold for that instead. Automatic release of the parking brake is there only as a safety precaution, it's not meant to be used on a daily basis. That's what the AutoHold is for. Or were you actually referring to AutoHold, when talking about "handbrake"?
It is meant to release automatically, and it's meant to be used like that. Normally it would only happen once at the start of each journey, and it reapplies itself at the end of the journey.

I tested "hand"brake release in daughter's car when I moved it off her drive the other day - the electric parking brake released as soon as I lifted the clutch, without touching the gas pedal. The car rolled forwards towards her garage door.

Her car has not long been serviced and they did a couple of software updates - she thinks one was for the headlamp alignment which we knew about but she doesn't know what else they did.

#16 ·
I have it set so I don't touch any off the buttons. I have always used it that way.

Only noticed last night that the brake lights are on when the auto-hold is in use. IMHO is a design thing that should be programmed out.

#17 ·
Yikes, that's news to me! I've been blithely using autohold on this and my previous car without realising it illuminated the brake lights! And one of my pet hates is drivers who keep their foot on the footbrake at night whilst waiting for lights to change, etc., thus dazzling the driver behind, yet here I am, an accidental offender.

I guess I'm going to have to try to break that habit and use the parking brake from now on.

#18 ·
Atecamack said:
IMHO is a design thing that should be programmed out.
VAG only changed it so they stay on in the more recent models. They don't stay on in our late mk1 Tiguan, and that's another reason why I don't use autohold - we live in a semi rural area and I don't want to be the back car at a set of lights etc and not have the brake lights on.

G
#19 ·
Rory said:
It is meant to release automatically, and it's meant to be used like that. Normally it would only happen once at the start of each journey, and it reapplies itself at the end of the journey.
Ok, that answers my question - you are using AutoHold. :) The parking brake does not reapply after journey, if the AutoHold is off, so you must have it on.

I would imagine, that there is at least some difference on the parking brake release point, with AutoHold on vs. off. But even with the AutoHold on, you can release it manually, and the car will still stay put with the hydraulic brakes applied by the AutoHold system. That may alter your experience of the brakes releasing when pulling away; now the AutoHold will only have to release the hydraulic brakes, when it sees that you are lifting the clutch, so it may work better than the parking brake auto-release.

#20 ·
Tet70 said:
I would imagine, that there is at least some difference on the parking brake release point, with AutoHold on vs. off. But even with the AutoHold on, you can release it manually, and the car will still stay put with the hydraulic brakes applied by the AutoHold system.
Not from a cold start in a manual - although it probably happens by default in an auto as you have to press the brake pedal to start the engine.

#21 ·
I never use the parking break unless I am parking. I also never use Autohold unless stopped for some time. I find that I prefer to rely on the ability of the car to creep with no throttle, especially when manoeuvring. Luckily my AutoStop has stopped working so that is another thing that no longer interferes with a clean "getaway".

A number of road testers have commented on the apparent hesitancy of the various VAG cars to move off cleanly from a stop. I get the impression that they just haven't worked out how to avoid this by a better understanding of how to manage the three elements involved.

G
#22 ·
Rory said:
Not from a cold start in a manual - although it probably happens by default in an auto as you have to press the brake pedal to start the engine.
You may be right. I've only driven manual Ateca once, can't remember how it worked. I always (always!) press the brake pedal, when I release parking brake. On any car, manual or automatic. So with the manual Ateca, that would most likely activate the AutoHold in my usage.

#23 ·
Tet70 said:
I always (always!) press the brake pedal, when I release parking brake. On any car, manual or automatic. So with the manual Ateca, that would most likely activate the AutoHold in my usage.
Yes, that would engage the autohold brakes.

I suspect most people are using the sytem automatically though. So from a cold start there's no "press footbrake" step. You're relying on the handbrake auto-releasing at the right time.

You can hold the handbrake on manually just like a conventional handbrake, but I'd wager few people know it's possible or would think to do it. I wonder how many people with manual VAG cars get in a mess if they have to park in an unfamiliar location and the car is on a slope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.