Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Poor mpg in our 1.6 tdi se Technology

27K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  Rory 
#1 ·
Hello, we've had our Ateca since February 17, & it's been excellent we've done about 6000 trouble feee miles but recently I took it for a trip to a job in Bournemouth which is 90 miles away from Guildford.
Now, this is my wife's car- I did own a shogun so I rarely use the Ateca but I noticed that the mpg wasn't very good, I'd say it was terrible for a new car!
I was getting about 39 mpg on the average computer & I didn't go over 75mph. I also made sure I reset the mpg counter.
So is this not to be trusted this trip computer?
What are you guys getting from your 1.6 tdi manuals?

#27 ·
Lcchull said:
Does it make any difference how many miles I do
I am more than happy to buy a diesel the economy of it proves it
It makes no difference whatsoever how many miles you do, rather what type of driving you do. I used to run diesel over low annual miles - not a problem for me because I only use my car for long journeys. The question is would I be cheaper hiring a car when I needed it rather than owning a car? Yes I would, but hiring is lot less convenient.

For what I thought were obvious reasons, I can no longer make the case for low mileage diesel being economical ( haven't been able to do it since my last diesel in 2011) therefore if you have the time, would be interesting to hear how you've managed it.

There are a few benefits to owning a modern diesel which I wouldn't question, but unless the vehicle is being used for huge annual mileages, wouldn't have thought ecomonics to be one of them.

#29 ·
I think the point that is trying to be made is that it is widely recognised that running a diesel engined car for low annual mileages and very short journeys is a recipe for an expensive car ownership experience due to all the tech the cars now have. Fine 20 years ago but now, with dual mass flywheels, diesel particulate filters etc it is pretty much akin to the PPi fiasco...car dealers selling inappropriate vehicles to people. A diesel to do 2,500 miles a year is inappropriate...IMO.

#30 ·
Lcchull said:
As far as I am concerned my car is there when I need it if I need it I can afford to buy a diesel for my convenience so no problem
Fair enough, that clears it up. You bought a diesel not for economy as previously stated, but for other reasons.

Contrary to popular belief, there was a time (not so long ago) where you could buy a diesel and it would prove a better financial buy than it's petrol counterpart over low annual mileages, but a combination of dieselgate, modern emissions technology and the fact diesel now seems to be on average 8p per litre more expensive than petrol means you'd have to do a huge annual mileage before diesel become economically viable.

#34 ·
Silvertouran said:
Around Central Scotland it's about 10-11p more expensive than petrol so I'm not even sure if the better fuel economy from the diesel pays for itself over a tank of fuel. I must admit though i do like the torque from a turbo Diesel engine, i get nice mid range pull.
Good point, also when you take in the extra cost of a diesel to buy, say an extra 2k and if you keep the car for 3 years you have to do a lot of miles to get your money back, it's always put me off diesels.

#35 ·
Sorry for the thread ressurection but...

I have owned many Petrol and Diesel cars (In the trade for 40 years, so most free!) and have noted:

Diesel cars always provide underwhelming economy if you look at figures. especially, and this is the big bit, when used for short journeys. Diesels are very efficient but take a long time to warm up, unlike a tiny (1.0TSi?) Petrol which is efficient within minutes.

Petrol cars are more responsive to driving style. It's astonishing what a small Petrol can do in terms of MPG if you pussyfoot around! Drive one hard and weep however, the figures can drop to alarming levels (I drove a Smart ForTwo 1.0 Turbo briskly and it did 33mpg, which is dire!)

All the 4cyl Diesels cost more and are less refined than similarly powered Petrols, meaning the Petrol 'feels' like a more expensive car, and would be my choice these days given the difference in cost between the fuels.

My Yeti 1.6TDi averaged 50mpg, my Arona 1.0TSi averaged 50mpg...The Arona was (smaller but) way sweeter and quieter to drive and more fun, without the regeneration issues (no actual issues with Yeti mind you) but this time I needed to tow a caravan.

Ateca 2.0TDi 190 4Drive is the current choice. Looking like low '40's for economy (have seen 50 on a pre-warmed gentle drive, but suggest 42-4 typical) and hoping for 30mpg towing a 1400kg Caravan.

Not comparable, as it's way faster than the previous cars, but good for a heavy 4WD nevertheless.

The 1.6TDi should average 45-50mpg unless used frequently from cold for short trips, which kills it....

#37 ·
I have had several VAG 2.0 tds all seem to give best power and economy after about 18k . I also had tdi tuning boxes on all and that improved brim to brim mpg figures and noticeably more power.

#38 ·
PSC21 said:
I have had several VAG 2.0 tds all seem to give best power and economy after about 18k . I also had tdi tuning boxes on all and that improved brim to brim mpg figures and noticeably more power.
People often say that about all sorts of cars, but I have to say I've never experienced it.

I've spreadsheeted the MPG of our Tiguan, which, as a late mk1 with EA288 engine, is, I believe, excactly the same as current Ateca, and its brim to brim calculated MPG has been remarkably consistent since new - 38MPG, always on Shell V-Power. It's really only used for semi-rural short trips of 4-5 miles, with a short stop (ie school run or shopping) then return home.

If, unusually, the car does a long run such as a couple of 80 mile round trips to the airport or 300 miles to inlaws, then that tank will be mid to high 40's.

#39 ·
The post diesel gate EA189 2.0 is different from the EA288 . With the TDI tuning chip my Biturbo Tiguan 4motion would give 55 mpg on trip to Penzance from Essex. Best ever was EA288 DSG in my 2014 VW CC , 60 MPG on same Cornwall trip

#40 ·
PSC21 said:
The post diesel gate EA189 2.0 is different from the EA288 . With the TDI tuning chip my Biturbo Tiguan 4motion would give 55 mpg on trip to Penzance from Essex. Best ever was EA288 DSG in my 2014 VW CC , 60 MPG on same Cornwall trip
EA288 is the newer, still current, engine. EA189 is the deiselgate one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.