69K views 123 replies 32 participants last post by  Sandi204 
#1 ·
Tyre Specs are:
S: 6J × 16 215/60 R16 95V
SE: 7J × 17 215/55 R17 94V
SETECH: 7J × 18 215/50 R18 92W
SETECH/XE: 7J × 18 225/50 R18 95W 2.0 Tdi 150PS Only
XE: 8J × 19 225/45 R19 92W 2.0 Tdi 190PS Only

I have been offered a great deal on contract hire for a 1.6Tdi Technology and asked if I could have 17" wheels rather than the 18", first because I like the full silver alloys rather than the bicolour wheels and secondly because the 18" spec wheels have 215/50 R18 tyres on which are about as common and easy to find as Rocking horse doo doo, why would SEAT do that? The dealer said No you can't change that, they like you to add as many paid for features and are totally inflexible when you want to change something that doesn't mean they make more cash, pretty crap really. the only 215/50 R18 found on the web are either Falkens or Toyo, I am not saying they are bad makes because they do some good tyres but the 18's available are not top notch in the wet which I think is the most importnat aspect. Most cars usually have options in the manual too to fit a few variations but not for the Ateca strangely enough.

See less See more
#102 ·
Yes there is this also 235/45ZR18 93W
8Jx18 ET42 but that is for another rim since the other is ET45. Actually here in Serbia there is quiet a few 215/50/R18 but not all have the 92w load index and speed index. I am guessing it doesn't have to be exactly 92w?

#103 ·
Vuk1987 said:
Yes there is this also 235/45ZR18 93W
8Jx18 ET42 but that is for another rim since the other is ET45.
I have some Audi wheels in those exact dimensions and have mounted some 245/45 18s on them ready for use after my winter set come off.

Lack of tyre availability becomes a non-issue once you consider the conversion options and tell your insurer you've fitted something suitably legal.

#105 ·
Yes, I think so Jovan. The slightly larger and wider 235/55 17 fits (on a wider rim with same offset/ET). I'm even wondering if there's room for 235/45 19 that's 1.9mm higher still.

If the size fits and allows you to find the pattern you want, I think that's better than having less choice at standard sizes.

#109 ·
Hi bart After reading your post i find my 2018 Xcellence tyre size on 19 inch wheels is the same as yours 235 40 R19 96Y although i might have missed it i can find no reference to size 40 on 19inch wheels. Is this standard and are the tyres readily available? Also, what other sizes can be fitted to 19 inch wheels to give more rubber in contact with the road that would give a more softer ride. I note that my tyres are inflated to 39 psi all round can this pressure be reduced without an adverse effect? Any advice would be appreciated.

#110 ·
You can only realistically increase the size of the tyre's contact patch by choosing a tyre with a wider section width e.g. 245. A slightly taller tyre e.g. one with a larger profile/aspect ratio will only have a microscopically longer contact patch (for the same width). A drop in pressure will increase the footprint but with handling implications.

#111 ·
I have 225/50 R18 summer tyres on my 4drive 1.4 tsi Ateca. Still have the original Bridgestone Turanza's which are quite noisy and tearing down fast. I was thinking about changing tyre size to 215/60 R17 for smoother ride on old roads. No smooth roads here, unfortunately. It might even slighty improve consumption depending on the tyre. Have any of you tried this size? I know it's not one of the accepted sizes, but it should be legal in Finland, no inspection needed. And if one of you have tried this size, any recommendations for less noisy options?

All recommendations are welcome.

#114 ·
jovan2cv said:
I am using this size on my Ateca 1.4tsi, for several months, Michelin Crossclimat and with tyre pressure set to 2.1 bar for smoother comfort ride. My recommendation if you are not racing driver. Greetings !
I have this kind of tyres on my Altea XL in 225/45/17 3rd season and use them winter/summer without any problem! I was thinking to buy them again for ATECA 1,5TSI 2wd in 18" and many people around told me that I am crazy on this type of car to use them... I drive most of all rides inside the capital city in CZ and one time in a year we go to the mountains... I have never had any problem...

#115 ·
davon - the 18" wheels on the 2 wheel drive cars are 215/50/18. You can't get Michelin Crossclimates in this size and, according to Michelin, you probably never will. You'll need to go through a wheel/tyre size change. Pain in the backside but that's what they told me when I asked them.

#116 ·
tobydog said:
davon - the 18" wheels on the 2 wheel drive cars are 215/50/18. You can't get Michelin Crossclimates in this size and, according to Michelin, you probably never will. You'll need to go through a wheel/tyre size change. Pain in the backside but that's what they told me when I asked them.
You can have it ;) - 215/50/18
https://www.mojepneu.cz/michelin-crossclimate-suv-215-50-r18-92w
225/50/18 cheaper even!!
https://www.mojepneu.cz/michelin-crossclimate-suv-225-50-r18-99w-xl

and also GoodYear https://www.mojepneu.cz/goodyear-eagle-sport-all-season-225-50-r18-95v

#117 ·
That's really weird because if you look on Michelin's own website, the 215/50/18 Cross Climate doesn't exist. Have a look at the following link:

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimateplus#sl

Maybe it's available in other countries and not the UK which would be odd and very annoying. Michelin told me specifically that they had no plans for the UK market and that still looks to be the case here :( .

#118 ·
tobydog said:
That's really weird because if you look on Michelin's own website, the 215/50/18 Cross Climate doesn't exist. Have a look at the following link:

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimateplus#sl

Maybe it's available in other countries and not the UK which would be odd and very annoying. Michelin told me specifically that they had no plans for the UK market and that still looks to be the case here :( .
I know, I was looking to their website and could't find it. Than I found it in this website, but only one in CZ offers them. Don't know what to think about. :(

#120 ·
I've had a look at tyre size comparators and 215/50 r18 is very near the diameter of 225/45 R18. If your rims are 7.5J then 225 width is the recommended tyre size anyway.

Your speedo would be out by 1.8% which is within recommended limits. The advantage of 225/45 18s is that they are a common size and you'll certainly get Cross Climates in this size albeit a tad expensive as always.

If in doubt check with your appointed tyre supplier to validate my calculations or perhaps we have others on here who can check tyre size alternatives.

#122 ·
justanother said:
jovan2cv said:
I am using this size on my Ateca 1.4tsi, for several months, Michelin Crossclimat and with tyre pressure set to 2.1 bar for smoother comfort ride. My recommendation if you are not racing driver. Greetings !
Thanks for your advice! I don't care about slim tyres, I need practicality. Oh, and yes, my racing days are long over... :D
I prefer more sidewall height in wintertyres in my Ateca TDI 2.0 4wd. That's because I'm also using my car in Finland, often in countryside, some of it offroads. I previously had wintertyres Nokia 215/60-16 (with spikes). I now bought Nokia 215/70-16 SUV tyres (also with spikes) into same rims. I like them and yes, they are legal in Finland. From visual point of view they are not slim at all of course, but they fill their space nicely. There's no rubbing from mudguard, any kind of accumulation of snow or ice. Tyres are heavier, which is something to remember. They are quiet and the only bigger noise occur when driving in plain asphalt. I put 2.6 bar in them (0'C), but I think I'll lower the pressure to meet more comfort driving (most of the winter season I drive with low load). Summer tyres differ much from them being 235/45-18.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.