Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

SD Card Satnav Blunder

17K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Paul.Cambs 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So a few months ago, my old laptop managed to corrupt my original Seat SD card ironically whilst I was trying to back it up so that I could then update it. Naturally dejected as it wiped my original OVERALL.NDS file. I have since got a new laptop and inserted the SD card into it and confirming my horror, the card was semi-wiped by my old laptop including the important "Overall" file. So I went ahead and thought, let me just completely format it properly on my new laptop.

After this I thought well what have I got to lost I've lost my OVERALL file anyway...so I downloaded 1310 update. Inserted into my car, and the dreaded "Navigation Database Not Available" error came up.

Is there ANYTHING I can do as a workaround as I don't have my overall.nds file? Of course I guess I could pay Seat and get a new SD card put in and then update it myself, this time with a new laptop that will back it up properly before I start. But I would rather not pay Seat if I could avoid itand my local dealer is a bit of a dud, I have called twice about a new SD card, they've said they'll find out and call me back but to no avail...!

Any means to resurrect, solve things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nik

See less See more
#3 ·
As lea1965 says, Data Recovery is the way forward, but recover the data to another card/drive, not the original. Only once data has been successfully recovered, then the data can be copied back to the original. Don't do anything else with the card until you run data recovery on it and don't forget to do a "safe removal" before ejecting the card after any changes... that's one poss cause of corruption.

#4 ·
Hi both. I have tried recovery a few times with different paid software, to no avail sadly. The SD card is working but just as an SD card, so I can use it for my own storage use if I fancy so it's not completely broken/corrupt in that sense. It does have the new update in it and when inserted into the vehicle it does say map data present but then says navigation data not available. I presume and put this down to the issue of not having repacked the original OVERALL.NDS file.

So in this scenario now what can I do now that data recovery is basically out the window too? Lol

#5 ·
What version was in your car before you tried for 1310 i.e. the version supplied on the SD card originally

#8 ·
I think you'll find the OVERALL.NDS is locked to the serial number of the SD card it came on, this is to stop it being copied as another card wouldn't have that serial number.

#9 ·
Paul.Cambs said:
I think you'll find the OVERALL.NDS is locked to the serial number of the SD card it came on, this is to stop it being copied as another card wouldn't have that serial number.
I don't think so. I bought a Seat card out of Ebay. Copied the latest software from VW and the Overall.NDS from my old card and it works 100%.

#13 ·
There was no release 0866 but there was release 0820, you could try downloading and restoring that to your card
It is at http://vw.download.navigation.com/automotive/VW/MIB2/MIB_Standard2_Single_File_EU1/0820_MP163-1214.xEUR1.7z

#17 ·
Grahamn said:
My original version is the same as yours Coolnikhit28. Europe 1 v4 - car purchased March 2017.
Hi Graham. Yes, same time I purchased my car. Do you happen to have your OVERALL.NDS file to hand by any chance? If you do, wonder if you could send it to me and I can see if that'll work?

Bedlam, sadly the the version you sent me didn't work either.

coolnikhit28 (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks.
Nik

#18 ·
Nik
What exactly did you do with the file I sent you the link for?
The intention was for you to extract and install it on to your original SD card and insert that into the Satnav unit (and see what happened)

#19 ·
Bedlam said:
Nik
What exactly did you do with the file I sent you the link for?
The intention was for you to extract and install it on to your original SD card and insert that into the Satnav unit (and see what happened)
That's what I did and sadly it didn't work. Hence why now I wonder if Graham will be my saviour as he seemed to have the same version as I did. Any other suggestions?

G
#20 ·
I'm quite confident, that you cannot do without the OVERALL.NDS from the original card. The file and the card are a pair - nothing works if they don't match. With the correct OVERALL.NDS, you can replace the rest of the stuff on the card. If your original card was not with the Mapcare, it will log a fault code "Navigation database not authorized" etc. on the head unit, but it will still work.

#21 ·
Nik can you try this and post exactly what you see, if anything (either text or a pic)
In the Navigation main menu, press the SETTINGS function button, then select Version information
Try this with the SD Card inserted and removed i.e. twice (the results may be different)
The objective is to see what Map Version the head unit is expecting i.e. 0820 or another

#22 ·
Bedlam said:
Nik can you try this and post exactly what you see, if anything (either text or a pic)
In the Navigation main menu, press the SETTINGS function button, then select Version information
Try this with the SD Card inserted and removed i.e. twice (the results may be different)
The objective is to see what Map Version the head unit is expecting i.e. 0820 or another
Hi.
So Graham privately emailed me his OVERALL.NDS (as we believed our original SD card versions to have been the same). After having downloaded and extracted your navigation file you sent, it didn't work. However, prior to reading your above post, Graham sent me the OVERALL.NDS, I copied and pasted it, inserted it into my car and presto! My SD rose from the dead and my navigation is working now! I will save the file very very carefully now! Haha.

Anyway for your reference, these are the images. When the SD card is not inserted in, it shows the version as "N/A" and when the SD card is in, it shows the following. So with this I can confirm to everyone that all is not lost if you lose your original NDS file. So long as you have a life saver like Graham who had the same original OVERALL.NDS version, you will be fine!

Thanks both. I presume I can now safely update to the latest version? What would you advise? The VW Updater or downloading the version from SEAT's website?

Attachments

#23 ·
I've had both SEAT and VW's versions and both work with the original OVERALL file. VW tends to have a lot more European countries on their mapping data versions than SEAT (unlike our original maps), so apart from the download etc taking a bit longer, both work. But again, keep pristine copies of the current set that works.

#24 ·
Grahamn said:
I've had both SEAT and VW's versions and both work with the original OVERALL file. VW tends to have a lot more European countries on their mapping data versions than SEAT (unlike our original maps), so apart from the download etc taking a bit longer, both work. But again, keep pristine copies of the current set that works.
Thank you. So can I use the auto-updater VW tool that has been suggested on the Arona forum? Is that still a smoothly working solution? Also is the version on the SEAT website the actual latest version or has it "stopped" at V7 as some posters seem to suggest?

#26 ·
Glad you got it sorted in the end
I would also recommend doing it yourself by downloading the latest maps from https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

Then select a current VW model
Then select "Discover Media" unit
Then select the Map you want to download and proceed as per the original instructions

The Maps are updated twice a year, so check back May/June and November/December each year, the website shows the updated date (in American format)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.