Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

More Satnav Map Update Problems

99K views 193 replies 53 participants last post by  vectra 
#1 ·
OK so, with my Ateca's second service due soon, I thought I'd take the plunge and update the maps. Downloaded successfully, followed the instructions, backed up the car SD card, deleted the only folder there (maps), copied the newly downloaded folder (maps) onto the SD card, bunged it back in the Ateca and... "No Map Data Found" (or some such).

Panic.

Put the original folder back on the SD card, rebooted the entertainment/satnav system, put the SD card back in its slot and held my breath. Satnav recognised the old maps. Phew! So what did I do wrong? Thinking back, should I have rebooted the system before putting the SD card with the new maps in? Only occurred to me later, but I'm wary of going through the trauma again. Any advice? I may be strange but I'm happy with the satnav and don't want to be without it, though I'd like up to date maps.

#127 ·
My understanding of how it works is as follows:
The speed shown on head unit comes from the Sat Nav data and it is only when the TSR "sees" a speed sign that it will override what the sat nav says. e.g. at roadworks.
1115 had issues where the sat nav thought that some 30mph roads were actually 20mph so the head unit will display 20, if unless the TSR sees a 30 sign.
This problem is also seen on national speed limit roads. On some dual carriageways 1115 thought that the national limit on those roads was 60, so if the TSR see the national speed limit sign it will still display 60, but if it saw a 70 sign I expect that it would show 70.
Just now updated to 1310, when I next drive the car I will find out if this version of the sat nav map has been corrected.

Paul

#128 ·
Thanks makes sense, system defaults to to the lowest between SatNav and TSR - better on safe side.
I'm downloading 1310 so be interested to hear what you think of it

#129 ·
Quick one.
Is 1310 the latest official maps?
I am collecting my Ateca in around 2 weeks time and want to ensure they give me the latest version sd card for the Nav.
Thanks

#130 ·
vectra said:
Quick one.
I am collecting my Ateca in around 2 weeks time and want to ensure they give me the latest version sd card for the Nav.
Thanks
Yes 1310 is latest. Good look with trying to get dealer to give you that. From experience and what others have said on forum, dealers aren't very accommodating with this. Personally I could have spent many hours trying to get dealer to give latest version or in the end took the easy option and spend half and hour updating it myself.

#131 ·
Paul.Cambs said:
Thanks makes sense, system defaults to to the lowest between SatNav and TSR - better on safe side.
I'm downloading 1310 so be interested to hear what you think of it
I don't think that it's a case of defaulting to the lowest, it is just that in most cases there are no speed signs to say otherwise.
i.e. if the sat nav map holds 20 for a 30 road then as most 30 roads don't have signs saying 30 the TSR has no signs to recognise/see to say anything different.
If the sat nav map holds 20 on a 30 road and that road has a 30 speed sign then I would expect the TSR to see that sign and show 30.

Having just now driven down my road, which is 30 the sat nav is reporting 20 so it appears that the 1310 map still has at least some errors in it. :(

vectra said:
Quick one.
Thanks
I believe so, I downloaded them from the VW site https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/?car=5094609b-ac87-4006-a921-92832940939d&navi=f7d60bb5-e4c7-4f15-a629-ed994e464a9f
They use the same maps assuming you select the correct car and unit . For my MY19 I selected Tiguan from 2017, unit Discover Media
I chose bundle 1 which has the set of countries that I am most likely to visit in my car.
Installation instructions are earlier in this topic.

1310 came out 17 June so you may have that map on the SD card, but it depends on how quickly they create and issue them to the dealers.

#132 ·
Well,
I do have to get one, so is it not as easy to get an up to date one?
I am going to pre warn him to pick out a new one for me :lol:

#133 ·
I have tried 1310 today and for me its worse than than the 1115, the old 0820 worked perfectly with TSR providing changes on the fly.

For anyone in Norfolk1310 said....(All were correct on 0820)
A47 bypass (from A140 junction round 2 junctions East) says 60 not 70
Long Stratton heading North - its all 30, but in middle of the 30 part shown as 20 and another part 60!!!!
Coming home from Norwich heading out on A140, the roundabout under is now 70 !!! - should have maintained the 40
I'm going to try a 1030 i still have a copy of tomorrow but beginning to wonder if there is something I'm missing as can't believe these issues

#134 ·
I collected mine brand new on March 1st this year and tried the satnav 30 mins later, nothing..nada...zilch.
The Bluetooth also didn't work.
Straight back, slightly unhappy, and lots of apologies and updated along with the recall it needed.
Apart from the fact it should have been checked before collection and me not having a clue what update it is I can say it works perfectly now although does get some speed limits wrong but as they change so frequently I'm not surprised.
I actually like seeing if it changes to the correct speed when changing zones, 99% of the times it's right, I can live with the rest.
As I'm getting old I'm of the opinion we should not rely on technology so much, what did we do before such things?... We used our eyes.

#135 ·
Paul.Cambs said:
I have tried 1310 today and for me its worse than than the 1115, the old 0820 worked perfectly with TSR providing changes on the fly.

For anyone in Norfolk1310 said....(All were correct on 0820)
A47 bypass (from A140 junction round 2 junctions East) says 60 not 70
Long Stratton heading North - its all 30, but in middle of the 30 part shown as 20 and another part 60!!!!
Coming home from Norwich heading out on A140, the roundabout under is now 70 !!! - should have maintained the 40
I'm going to try a 1030 i still have a copy of tomorrow but beginning to wonder if there is something I'm missing as can't believe these issues
I have since tried 1309 from the SEAT site (which actually says 1310 in file name but is smaller around 5.5g) but get the same issues.

Restored 0820 and hey presto all works fine again - shame as I need the road updates but for some reason all update I've tried appear to interact with the TSR badly - phone call to SEAT UK coming up me thinks

#136 ·
Why do so many here persist in trusting the Seat map downloading site.....they are not full downloads and do not support UK owners
Follow the link here https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/?car=eae8e75f-2cdf-455e-8f82-8aba0846573e&navi=f7d60bb5-e4c7-4f15-a629-ed994e464a9f and download the 2019 version (1310) and download Golf GTI or Tiguan for Discover Media, you will get the whole of Western Europe
Don't bother wingeing to SEAT UK CS or beyond......you will get nowhere

#137 ·
My issues is slightly different - I tried that link, butwhilst worked it messed up the speed's all 70's became 60's apart from when you went past a junction when it showed 70 for about 1/2 mile then went back to 60's. There were also other incorrect speeds at odd places, all now correct back on 0820.
Mine has TSR so wondering if its some interaction with that - perhaps something other than the OVERALL.NDS also needed

#139 ·
Not wishing to be at all contentious here, just wondering if I'm missing a trick somewhere. I took delivery of my Ateca at the end of May. On the drive back from the dealership I briefly turned on the inbuilt Nav but that was the first and last time I've used it because of the car's seamless integration with my phone (I'm an iPhone user hence CarPlay, but I believe similar exists with Android).
Now I get that things shouldn't be as complex as they appear to be in order to update the Seat maps, but is there any good reason to use these in preference to the mapping apps on a phone? I use either Apple Maps or Google depending on where I'm going and the overlay onto the Seat console/screen is superb. As these phone maps are updated continually I figure they are always going to be more up to date that anything a car manufacturer can maintain.
Therefore I'm curious to know if I'm missing anything in particular by using my phone's mapping rather than Seat's? I guess there must be some reason that people are torturing themselves with this update process?

#140 ·
In my case I go abroad (France/Italy) and don't always have mobile data coverage + it intergrates with TSR
I also find in built not that bad to be fair, just get in and go
I don't disagree that anything thats always upto date must be better, just not better enough to use iphone for me

#141 ·
hi all,

I think I may have lost my sat nav files, I copied the files from the sd card to a folder on my desktop, then downloaded the update to a seperate folder, I then tried to copy the file needed for vehicle ID but nothing was being recognised, so I deleted the new update from the sd card and tried to copy the old map info from the folder on my desktop, but the unit in the car is telling me there is no database on the card,,,, HELP ME :cry:

#142 ·
do you still have the complete original folder?

#144 ·
Ian67 said:
yeah its on my desktop, but I didn't take an imprint of it i just copied it straight from the card to the folder
How do you mean imprint?

#145 ·
I think its something to do with going into preferences and taking an 'imprint' of the card rather than just copying it, not entirely sure what it means myself, was just wondering if that made a difference,, but when I open the file up on my desktop I can see all the files and info there, it says the folder has 14gb in it, I must doing something completely wrong

#146 ·
The folder "maps" should be in the "root" of the SD Card and not in another directory, it should also include your original "OVERALL.NDS" file and saved in the "maps/EEC/EEC_WLD" directory

EDIT I also do not understand your use of the word imprint in this context

#149 ·
Great.........you should be able to repeat that with an updated map file
Where did you download the "update" from?

#151 ·
Not the best site.... it is always out of date as they do not support UK cars update
Try https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/ selecting a Golf
Then select Discover Media
Then download the 1st European Countries - Bundle 1
Copy to SD Card and restore original overall.nds as before
You should end up with 1430 map issue (as at Nov 2019)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.