Sat Nav Installation Issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
pch

Re: Sat Nav Installation Issues

Post by pch » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:51 pm

If you don't have MapCare (most people don't have) you have to do some hacking to get updated map working.
In short - replace file overall.nds from the backup and edit one text file. Search forum for the details - there was detailed instruction posted some time ago.

Silvertouran

Post by Silvertouran » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:41 pm

pch wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:51 pm
If you don't have MapCare (most people don't have) you have to do some hacking to get updated map working.
In short - replace file overall.nds from the backup and edit one text file. Search forum for the details - there was detailed instruction posted some time ago.
After extracting the maps folder from Seat website directly on to the SD card i replaced the overall nds file ( the one in the EEC /EEC WLD folder ) with the one which originally came with the card and its working now.

No need to edit the text file.

The file from Seat is much smaller as they have broken down the files into smaller groups of countries so just pick one where you drive in the contries listed. I only ever drive in the UK so i think there were 2 or 3 groups i could have picked from.

Thanks to the techy guys on here , which makes forums like this invaluable. :D

pch

Post by pch » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:20 pm

It looks even easier than it was ;)
I use this method since I got my Ateca (early '17) and it always work.

Downloading smaller file seems very good idea but you have to keep in mind you have smaller file on SD while driving abroad.
Otherwise you can recall this when you cross the border, which would not be helpful :D

stupra

Post by stupra » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Guys,

Its taken me 2 days to sort this, but I have! Try this, Read it first and understand the principles of how this works. Note this assumes Windows is your operating system, VW do show how to for Apple in the link below. Be aware of the 2 systems in Atecas!!

1; Go to SEAT/VW site and download latest map version for your cars infotainment system. https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/nav ... dates.html. I used the 6PO version for my car and "Europe 1" map

Store it on PC on hard drive for future use. (Create a file called "SEAT Ateca Sat Nav Details)

2; Ensure your SD card is "unlocked" beforehand, check the slider on the side of the card. Put original SD card in PC and "cut and paste original "maps" onto hard drive into your "SEAT Ateca" file and call it "Original" just in case you need to reinstall it back onto the card. There will be a file called "maps", this is the program you need to copy. Ensure SD card is empty after transferring off old map.

3; Copy new downloaded maps folder from Ateca folder of PC to SD card completely. Use "7 zip" as below: You will need to download "7zip" onto your PC, then follow these steps below from VW;

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... 018_EN.pdf

4; Then crucially, copy from your ORIGINAL map this file "MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" to replace the same file on your SD card. This means that original data on the original map program is carried over onto the new map program. Without doing this, the new downloaded map will not work. as it is car-specific.

5; Relock the SD card and put in car!

Hope this helps!! As I said, took me 2 days but I eventually got it right. Read these instructions and do the downloads in preparation first and keep a cool head when doing it!

Good Luck!
SEAT Ateca SE Technology 1.0 in Rodium Grey with Convenience pack. Build week 37, delivery 12th Oct 17.

3 Alteas, an Exeo ST and a Leon Cupra K1 (slightly modified!) all gone but not forgotten.

richardcole39

Post by richardcole39 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi All,

I am silly enough as not to have kept the original map!! Would somebody know if I can get this from anywhere?

Thank you.

Chei

Post by Chei » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 pm

stupra wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:27 pm
Guys,

Its taken me 2 days to sort this, but I have! Try this, Read it first and understand the principles of how this works. Note this assumes Windows is your operating system, VW do show how to for Apple in the link below. Be aware of the 2 systems in Atecas!!

1; Go to SEAT/VW site and download latest map version for your cars infotainment system. https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/map-updates.html. I used the 6PO version for my car and "Europe 1" map

Store it on PC on hard drive for future use. (Create a file called "SEAT Ateca Sat Nav Details)

2; Ensure your SD card is "unlocked" beforehand, check the slider on the side of the card. Put original SD card in PC and "cut and paste original "maps" onto hard drive into your "SEAT Ateca" file and call it "Original" just in case you need to reinstall it back onto the card. There will be a file called "maps", this is the program you need to copy. Ensure SD card is empty after transferring off old map.

3; Copy new downloaded maps folder from Ateca folder of PC to SD card completely. Use "7 zip" as below: You will need to download "7zip" onto your PC, then follow these steps below from VW;

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/dam/jcr:a5bab2de-2bdf-4946-b26f-105c576c9047/Discover_Media_PQ_Gen_2_October_2018_EN.pdf

4; Then crucially, copy from your ORIGINAL map this file "MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" to replace the same file on your SD card. This means that original data on the original map program is carried over onto the new map program. Without doing this, the new downloaded map will not work. as it is car-specific.

5; Relock the SD card and put in car!

Hope this helps!! As I said, took me 2 days but I eventually got it right. Read these instructions and do the downloads in preparation first and keep a cool head when doing it!

Good Luck!
I don't usually respond to forums but I have to give credit for the useful information. I too was experiencing problems with the Sat Nav update for an Arona, but this information for the Ateca worked just as well. I was getting the error message 'navigation database not available'. I also took two days to get it working after relying on the instructions on the SEAT website. I finally got it working by following your crucial point 4 "copy from your ORIGINAL map this file 'MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS' to replace the same file on your SD card". Thank you

RalphUp

Post by RalphUp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 am

This is a bit bad of SEAT UK, see the posts in the ARONA forum, see BenC post about using VW Discovercare... https://www.aronaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=609&start=80 I still had to restore the OVERALL.NDS file on our ARONA SD Card, just doing the ATECA today.

Will update here on my findings!

RalphUp

Post by RalphUp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:35 am

richardcole39 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:03 pm
Hi All,

I am silly enough as not to have kept the original map!! Would somebody know if I can get this from anywhere?

Thank you.
Hi Richard, are you still having issues? I can try and send my NDS file to you, see if you can recover your maps...

RalphUp

Post by RalphUp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:48 am

RalphUp wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 am
This is a bit bad of SEAT UK, see the posts in the ARONA forum, see BenC post about using VW Discovercare... https://www.aronaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=609&start=80 I still had to restore the OVERALL.NDS file on our ARONA SD Card, just doing the ATECA today.

Will update here on my findings!
2018 (68 Plate) Arona SE Tech - Using VW discovery and updating to the FULL EUROPE ECEAS - Full Update (14Gb)

Worked, but only after the original OVERALL.NDS file was restored - Now on MAPS 2020 (v1310)

2019 (69 Plate) Ateca XCELLENCE Lux - Using VW discovery and updating to the FULL EUROPE ECEAS - Full Update (14Gb)

Worked straight away without the need for the original OVERALL.NDS - Now on MAPS 2020 (v1310)

2019 (19 Plate) Leon SE Tech - Using VW discovery and updating to the FULL EUROPE ECEAS - Full Update (14Gb)

Worked, but only after the original OVERALL.NDS file was restored, first few attempts NO DATABASE, then I unlocked the SD card and it started to work, maybe the header unit needs to be able to update the file itself (haven't done any further investigation on that though! Now with the SD Card switch in the Locked position, maps are working - Now on MAPS 2020 (v1310)

PS NEVER Put the SD card in the CD Slot, wasn't paying attention when re-inserting the card, luckly it didnt go all the way in and I managed to get it out with a pair of tweezers! DOH!!! :o :o

richardcole39

Post by richardcole39 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 am

Hi RalphUp,

Yes I still cannot get this problem sorted.

Feel a bit of a fool not keeping the original copy.

Sending your NDS file is very kind thank you.

Return to “Faults & Technical”