Seat factory fit tow bar electrics

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Mikeg

Seat factory fit tow bar electrics

Post by Mikeg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:43 pm

I have a factory fit tow bar which seemed to be a very good feature. Unfortunately I have just discovered a design fault in the electrics. My caravan has an anti sway device called an ALKO ATC unit. This has been causing problems in locking the caravans brakes. I have had the unit checked and was found to be OK. The caravan dealer said the fault store showed several start up problems and this is usually caused by power issues. The unit must have a permanent 12v supply to terminal 9.

I checked the cars power output and found it is cut off during start up. Like any processor the ATC cannot cope with this. I have referred this back to the Seat dealer, who are going to raise it with Seat. What ever is the response I will need it to be resolved. It may need a 12v feed from the battery to terminal 9.

If there is anyone else having this issue with their caravan it is definitely the car causing the problem. The caravan dealer has come across the same problem with several manufacturers.

wiz2003

Re: Seat factory fit tow bar electrics

Post by wiz2003 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:47 pm

I have not experienced this problem and would have noticed it as I have the ALKO ATC remote mimick in front of me..
I have noticed that there is a delay when first plugging the 13 pin plug in and you can hear a relay drop before. Maybe you have a problem here...
Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, 18", Lava Blue, Seat sound, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack, Towbar.
Electric front seat not available.
Ordered on the 05/09/2016
Collected on the 04/11/2016

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Auto stop start could be the problem. ATC does not like repeated power disconnections.

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Switch Auto Start/Stop off then doesn't the 'design fault'... disappear?!
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue with:
Digital Cockpit, Top View, Park Assist & Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack Plus 2

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:17 am

Flakmunky, yes that is the logical conclusion.

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:28 am

Yes, but it didn't seem obvious to the OP as they talk about altering the electrics... :)

Just pointing out that the Auto Start/Stop causing the problem can be determined very easily with no cost and that a 'long term fix' isn't, in fact, necessary either.
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue with:
Digital Cockpit, Top View, Park Assist & Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack Plus 2

Return to “Faults & Technical”