Oil service and inspection service ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Golfmk56

Re: Oil service and inspection service ?

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:38 pm

RB211 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:43 pm
2 years in only 8000k miles on the clock, car now tells me service is due! Ok no prob! Try to book a minor service and told no it needs the 2 year service which of course is more expensive! Then spun a story about different oils between long life service and yearly service having different oils.
Question: Do garages have different oil specs for cars on different service specs?
If so, Do they use an inferior oil spec for cars on yearly servicing!
1: With a servicing schedule as vague as VW Group's I've seen all sorts of comments, but this is the first time I've read anyone who expresses surprise that their car requires a service after 2years. How long do you expect a car to go before it requires a service? ( an RB211 will need servicing more often than that - don't they require an oil change every 50 hrs :lol: ) I don't recall any car having the ability to go 24mths before it's recommended service.

2: Why book a minor service when the manufacture (every manufacturer) would recommend a major service after 2yr? A car that travels just 8km in 2yr is more likely in need of a service than a car that's travelled 20,000km !

3: You're in luck, because you've chosen a manufacturer who gives you a choice of services - major or longlife (depends on how the car has been driven as to which service you require).

4: You are right to say you've been spun a story - the service receptionist probably doesn't know. Yes there are different specs of oil, but the majority of dealers only use the Long-life version. Even if you have your car serviced annually, chances are they'll still use long-life oil. As for the price difference - well that's not how it works out in practice. If the garage purchases just one type of oil then that brings the price down - long-life is often cheaper than normal oil.

5: Inferior oil spec? There is no such thing as an 'inferior' oil spec. The standard oil used isn't inferior, it just means it's designed to last one year rather than the 2yr of long-life. If your car is serviced every year then either oil is correct.

RB211

Post by RB211 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:54 pm

1: With a servicing schedule as vague as VW Group's I've seen all sorts of comments, but this is the first time I've read anyone who expresses surprise that their car requires a service after 2years. How long do you expect a car to go before it requires a service? ( an RB211 will need servicing more often than that - don't they require an oil change every 50 hrs :lol: ) I don't recall any car having the ability to go 24mths before it's recommended service.
I'm not surprised. How did you get that idea! :?:

For info: Rb211s don't have oil changes! Where do you get your 50 hrs? Oil is replenished each trip as would a car. Filters however are changed on hours flown.

Boeings/R.Royce are now serviced to the manufacturers maintenance schedules! Hence when Seat the manufacturer quote two years and the on board computer monitors oil quality that should be the correct maintenance schedule to be followed.
Interested to know that you think they use the same oil for both services. That was my query.
5: Inferior oil spec? There is no such thing as an 'inferior' oil spec. The standard oil used isn't inferior, it just means it's designed to last one year rather than the 2yr of long-life. If your car is serviced every year then either oil is correct
If the oil is designed for one year it must have a lower spec than long life. I agree that long life oil in a yearly service would be better for the car hence why I asked the question on the forum. If both services use the same long life oil than surely a minor service would be cheaper for me as two year service offers no more than a few inspections that I can do myself. My only interest is the stamp for the waranty.
2: Why book a minor service when the manufacture (every manufacturer) would recommend a major service after 2yr?
Every manufacturer? Where do you get this information?
Ordered 26 Mar 17 Ateca SE 1.4 tsi. Lava Blue with Sat. Nav. Convenience Pack, Double floor and spare wheel. Collected 14/6/17.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:33 am

RB211 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:54 pm
I'm not surprised. How did you get that idea! :?:
You previously wrote: " 2 years in only 8000k miles on the clock, car now tells me service is due! Your use of the exclamation mark suggests surprise.
rb211 wrote: If the oil is designed for one year it must have a lower spec than long life.
Perhaps the problem is with the English language. As far as the layman is concerned is if VW specify a particular oil type for a particular time/mileage then it's the correct spec.
rb211 wrote: If both services use the same long life oil than surely a minor service would be cheaper for me as two year service offers no more than a few inspections that I can do myself. My only interest is the stamp for the waranty.
If the dealer says you need a xxxx type of service and you service it differently then I don't see what difference the stamp makes because you're warranty will be invalid.

For the warranty to be valid the car has to be serviced according to the manufacturers schedule using approved parts. If you don't like what SEAT are saying then take your car to any bonafide garage and have them service the car and make sure you keep all receipts and records of the work carried out, that way your warranty will still be valid. Of course you can do the checks yourself but unless you are a registered garage, that will invalidate the warranty.
rb211 wrote: Every manufacturer? Where do you get this information?
My mistake, I meant to say up to a maximum of 2years. I have never heard of anyone going over that time limit. Actually, come to think of now I may have. I forget the exact car but I seem to remember Cadillac either in the 70's or 80's bringing out an enginee that was supposed to go 100,000 miles before requiring oil. Not sure if I'm confusing that with another one of their engines, the 8-6-4. They brought it out as an answer to the fuel crisis of the time - it would run on 8 or 6 or 4 cylinders, depending on how it was being used. Anyway, both those ideas was a disaster, the engines proved too unreliable. :lol:

It may interest you that I subscribe to long-life oil changes in my VW group cars rather than the minor/major regime. The actually long-life service was cheaper than the major service, but if you want to save more money, ask them to exclude the cabin pollen filter from the service. Here in the UK at least, the pollen filter costs something like £45 from the dealership, but you can replace it yourself for less than a £10 with OEM. As I say above, just keep the receipt and the warranty is intact. (although I'm not quite sure what part a cabin pollen filter would play in causing a fault).

Plusgas

Post by Plusgas » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:38 am

FYI I had a main service (booked online) at 17000 miles in Nov 18. Last year I enquired as to why they were contacting me about an annual service, as my vehicle is coded ‘long life’, confirmed oddly enough by the vehicle mileage settings! I queried this and was then told it was indeed ‘long life’ so I then sought an explanation from the Dealer as to which oil as used. The response was; we use fully synthetic for all oil changes as it saves confusion! I feel based on this, as the driver, you simply need to assess your type of driving and mileage to determine your best option. They appear to be putting the choice down to the owner, rather than the dealers!
Ateca 2.0 TDI Xcellence DGS 4WD 19" Alloys Pan Roof :roll:

Return to “Faults & Technical”