Fuel Gauge issue?

All Seat Ateca related discussions
cmsdrums

Fuel Gauge issue?

Post by cmsdrums » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:11 am

Had my Ateca a month now, and noticed the incremental fuel gauge lights are possibly a little unreliable? When at halfway on the gauge, the lights take a good while to drop down by one, but when it gets to two lights on it seems as if there is no time at all before these BOTH go out and all the low fuel warnings are given...I have not yet had the gauge go down to only one light - it is always two (1/8th of a tank) then zero.

Anyone else experience the same, which can be an issue as a quick glance sees two bars lit leaving me thinking I'm fine for a while, and then next minute I am panicking that I'm going to run out! as long as the info telling me roughly how many miles I have left once all the lights go out is reliable then I will be fine to get to a petrol station, but would be good to know if this is normal. (and no, I don't make a habit of running low or on fumes!!)
SE Technology 1.6 TDI with winter pack, sound pack and space saving spare wheel, reversing camera and velvet red metallic paint. Ordered 6 March 2018, build week 15 (mid April 2018), being collected 16 May 2018 (week 20).

AlasdairMac

Re: Fuel Gauge issue?

Post by AlasdairMac » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:02 pm

in my experience fuel gauges always drop faster when down below half full and not just on my Ateca. I can easily get 300 miles plus until I get down to half way and then lucky to get another 200 before it’s bordering on empty.
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:30 am

cmsdrums wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:11 am
Anyone else experience the same, which can be an issue as a quick glance sees two bars lit leaving me thinking I'm fine for a while, and then next minute I am panicking that I'm going to run out! as long as the info telling me roughly how many miles I have left once all the lights go out is reliable then I will be fine to get to a petrol station, but would be good to know if this is normal. (and no, I don't make a habit of running low or on fumes!!)
The logic behind the fuel gauge LEDs is a bit silly, I think. When you have two LEDs lit, they both are white. But when you go down to one LED, that LED immediately turns to red. I would have expected to have one white LED first, and that one turning red later after some more fuel is used.

By the way, you really should pay attention to the available range reading, I found out that it's actually very accurate indeed. When it says that the tank is empty, it really means that. I recently managed to run the range to zero just when I turned to the petrol station, where I filled in 54.1 litres. Since the tank size in 4Drive is 55 litres, there was less than one litre left when the range reading went to zero.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:56 am

I remember only once when my gauge jumped rather too quickly from two white bars to one red and it caught me off guard because I nearly always fill up as soon as it reaches two white. Like others, the first half always seems to give more mileage than the second half but, like all cars, you soon get used to it.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Rae9911

Post by Rae9911 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Unfortunately it is the same fuel gauge that they use in the Leon and it is useless. Jumping from 1/4 tank to red, I was hoping that they might have sorted this issue out or used the fuel gauge that they had in the Exeo that was a lot better, that would go down to one bar, then go orange when getting low and then going red when only 30 miles left of fuel. I suppose it will be no difference for me going from the Leon to the Ateca then, just make sure that I fill the car up before I go on any motorway so that know I have enough fuel to get to my destination.
Ordered Ateca SE Technology 2.0 TDI 4drive 150PS, Privacy Glass, Reverse Camera, Convenience Pack & Towbar pre-installation with hook.
Ordered 27/04/2018.
Build Week 24
Delivery: 18/07/2018

Silvertouran

Post by Silvertouran » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:15 pm

I would much rather have a needle than LEDs. I’ve kind of got it down to 1 LED per 70 miles on my 1.6TDi.

cmsdrums

Post by cmsdrums » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks all for the feedback - good to know it's not just me that doesn't get one white bar and it goes straight to red! Good to know the 70 miles per 1 LED ration, and the accuracy of the empty tank warnings...cheers.

I wonder what happens if the lights blow on the gauge? (I'll worry about that if it actually happens!!)
SE Technology 1.6 TDI with winter pack, sound pack and space saving spare wheel, reversing camera and velvet red metallic paint. Ordered 6 March 2018, build week 15 (mid April 2018), being collected 16 May 2018 (week 20).

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”