Question on puncture repair

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Golfmk56

Re: Question on puncture repair

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am

funkyirishman wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:54 am
...is that just bad luck or I'm I better getting other tyrrs?
Bad luck. What you need is 'luck of the Irish'. :lol:

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:07 pm

I have a temporary string repair kit, it looks like they've used one of those as a permanent repair...

The correct way to repair a tyre is they drill it out, and use a mushroom shaped plug, as seen here:

http://www.dexel.co.uk/blog/right-wrong ... ured-tyre/
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue with:
Digital Cockpit, Top View, Park Assist & Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack Plus 2

funkyirishman

Post by funkyirishman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:47 am

Just on this

We put our car in for a service and garage said we required 2 new front tyres and the car is only 1 and a half years old?? We do mileage in it but Sister does same mileage in a Mazda and Kia SUV and they never had to change their tyres in 2 years??

After arguing dealer said he would give us one free tyre and the other Bridgestone would cost €200. I nearly fell off my bar stool. Checked with tyreland they same tyre cost €114?

Also after going in for our second service and the issues we had with them you would expect them to be jumping through hoops. However my GF went in with Junior and their customer service was awful. She won't deal with them again and neither will I
ATECA S TDI ECOMOTIVE 1.6

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:14 am

I've never bought tyres through a main dealer for the exact reason you've raised. They are always way too expensive.

At the end of the day, whether a tyre needs changing is really down to whether it's still legal as opposed to how long you've had it on the car. My Bridgestone's are 19 months old but I still have around 4mm all round left to go (I swapped them all around at 6mm). Different makes of tyres wear at different rates. Diesels can wear out front tyres on a front wheel drive car faster than petrol. All you can do is focus on yours. Are they still legal or close to illegal?

If you can manage to get one free tyre out of the dealer then you've done pretty well. Okay, the other one is €200 but that still works out cheaper than the €228 you would pay for both through a tyre dealer. You just need to deal with the feeling of being screwed over on one tyre because you've actually got a win. Take them when you get them :D .
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:47 am

No it should have been done using what I would call a mushroom patch. A large flat head on the inside and the stem pulled through the drilled out hole.
Black 190 DSG Excellence

BrianG

Post by BrianG » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:35 pm

I’ve successfully used this tyre plugger kit but on my BMW Adventure bike, they are supposed to be temporary but are so good, kept it in for 4K and replaced tyre due to wear. You can get the kit much cheaper, bike weighs about 250kg.

2.0 FR, Velvet Red, 4Drive, Space saver spare & working rear view camera...

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”