Paint scratch repair

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Johng906

Paint scratch repair

Post by Johng906 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 pm

I've had my new ateca for just over a week. Just spotted a white mark on the passenger door about 6 in below the door handle. Turned out to be a door impact / key mark. Either a careless carpark neighbour or an ateca hater.

I have the rhodium grey paintwork. The mark is about 1 inch in height.

Question is, is this something I could address with touch up / chip paint online or is this a door respray?

Normally i wouldnt be too bothered, but the car is new. Any ideas on path forward?

Screenshot_20180712-224001_Messenger.jpg

20180712_184357.jpg

1.4 TSI FR, manual, rhodium grey, reverse camera, full link, KESSY

Samsonite

Re: Paint scratch repair

Post by Samsonite » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:52 am

That looks quiet deep, if you run your finger nail over it does it catch? If so in my opinion too deep to touch up! If not polish it first and see. Never tried one of these smart repair places they might be able to help but am sure others will jump in with thier experiences.

Nb: it's a bit of an odd pattern/shape for a simple door ding which in my experience is usually focused on a single point! I call foul play.

AlasdairMac

Post by AlasdairMac » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:20 pm

I’ve used my local Chipsaway franchisee a couple of times and they’ve done a first class job but even they might need to do a whole door respray. Worth getting a quote though. If you’ve got a protected no claim bonus it might be cheaper to claim and pay the excess.
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

ma701ss

Post by ma701ss » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy a touch up pen in Rhodium Grey? Have googled but can’t find anything suitable.

skk

Post by skk » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:28 pm

This thing needs to get resprayed. Its too big to hide with a touch-up.
If you still decide to go for a touch-up, then go a local Seat dealer to get the correct paint.

twoquidkev

Post by twoquidkev » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:56 pm

I recommend using Chipex kits. the last 2 lease cars I've had I successfully repaired small damage and chips easily by myself and they went through hand back inspection without being flagged up. I was amazed at the colour match and ease of use. Normally touch ups can take ages to cure with first adding base coat and then waiting for that to cure and then adding the clear coat, but the chipex system is all in one with the base and clear coat being combined and it dries in minutes rather than days.

https://www.chipex.co.uk/shop/?gclid=Cj ... l4QAvD_BwE

MrRilo

Post by MrRilo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:16 pm

twoquidkev wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:56 pm
I recommend using Chipex kits. the last 2 lease cars I've had I successfully repaired small damage and chips easily by myself and they went through hand back inspection without being flagged up. I was amazed at the colour match and ease of use. Normally touch ups can take ages to cure with first adding base coat and then waiting for that to cure and then adding the clear coat, but the chipex system is all in one with the base and clear coat being combined and it dries in minutes rather than days.

https://www.chipex.co.uk/shop/?gclid=Cj ... l4QAvD_BwE
Another vote for ChipEx. Used it on my Leon and some were quite big scratches. The good thing with the kit is that you can keep adding paint till your happy.

If you got on your hands and knees, you could see the repairs, but stood next to the car, they were invisible.

All depends whether this is acceptable to you or not.

AlasdairMac

Post by AlasdairMac » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Looks too deep for a home-done touchup - particularly on a new car. I’ve used Chipsaway on previous cars and on my Ateca; they do a great job and at very reasonable cost.
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”