Seat Ateca Xellence 1.4 TSI 150 HP DSG S&S

All Seat Ateca related discussions
mrtklcsln

Seat Ateca Xellence 1.4 TSI 150 HP DSG S&S

Post by mrtklcsln » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Dear all,

Just a week ago I went to MBU Otomotiv in Izmir, Turkey (who is local authorized service partner). They made 1st year maintenance and checked for the issues that I told them but none of the major ones have been solved. Service Partner told me that some of these issues are due to DSG technology/characteristic and my car’s hardware configuration. Frankly speaking I didn’t insist but I am not confident about their answers.

I’ll explain in detail below just for your support and knowledge. I’d be very pleased if you can help me with your valuable comments about my concerns.

1st Issue............................... : There is a low but audible metal knocking/clutch noise during 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear transition.
Driving Modes......................... : D, S, E (happens at all Driving Modes)
Driving Speed........................... : 0-40kmh (gently Speed up or Slow down)
Driving Condition................... : Driver window open, Climate Off, Music Off, Ambient Noise Level between 45dB-55dB
Research...................................... : There are several claims and explanations in the internet. Especially the idea that there is a gap of K1/K2 or Dual Clutch is frightening me.
Service Guy Explanation... : Service technician explained that this level of noise is normal for the DSG characteristic while on low speed gear transitions. It will not worsen if i carefully drive and understand the driving characteristic of DSG.
CONCERN................................... : There was no sound when the car was new (0km). But after 10000km I started to hear this click/clunck like noise. At the moment this is a very low noise but I worry about later condition. I’ll follow advices of Service Technician but I am really afraid about if something worse happen just after warranty period ends.

2nd Issue.............................. : Sunroof does not tilting/opening or closing during convenience function.
Situation...................................... : Once I’ve forgot my Sunroof tilted (I had tilted sunroof to have air refresh inside). Because Car System does not warn about sunroof is open when you leave the car. (But it warns as “please do not forget your smartphone :) ). Very luckily I wanted to go home from work because the sky was full of dark clouds and I didn’t wanted to be catched by heavy rain. When I enter to the car I noticed that I foget the sunroof tilted. (If I should stay in my office instead of leaving, absolutely inside of my car would be fully fully wet.) After that I started some research about this issue and noticed that some Seat ATECA users and some WV users mention that this function (convenience tilt/open/close) works already or can work by a software code update. Convenience Open/Close works well for the Mirrors and all Windows.
Research...................................... : Than I noticed in the Owners Manual of 2016 model it explains the Convenience Tilt/Open/Close function of Sunroof but in the Owners Manual of 2017 and 2018 model it does not.
Service Guy Explanation............. : Some cars do not have related module as some have. This is factory issue and we will ask factory but it is totally luck.

3rd Issue.............................. : There is a buzz noise caused by vibration of the covers of Rain Sensor behind interior rear view mirror.
Driving Modes......................... : D, S, E (happens at all Driving Modes)
Driving Speed........................... : 50kmh and upper
Driving Condition................... : Audible at all conditions
Analyse................................... : During this noise when I touch to the plastic cover of rain sensor behind interior rearview mirror, the buzz noise stops. There is a very small gap between glass and cover so this causes buzz noise at a resonance frequency in my opinion.
Service Guy Explanation... : Service Technician also observed the noise and he said he will fix. But 2 days after maintenance the buzz noise started again.
Request........................................ : Just explain me how can I disassembly this cover so I can add some cotton tape or very thin sponge between cover edge and glass to keep it silent.

4th Issue............................... : There are TSI logo at some ATECA cars that I see in Turkey. My car doesn’t have TSI logo. Is there any rule or any limitation for this. I am really worry if my engine really TSI or not because there is no TSI logo also on the engine cover. But the name of car is Ateca Xellence 1.4 TSI 150 HP DSG S&S.

Thank you very much for your great support.

Br,
Murat
Nevada White SEAT Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI 150 HP DSG S&S

Smiffy

Re: Seat Ateca Xellence 1.4 TSI 150 HP DSG S&S

Post by Smiffy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:09 pm

I have a little information that might help on your first point. I have just acquired my Ateca to replace a Polo GT which I had for 4 1/2 years from new. It had the 1.4 TSI and dry-clutch DSG, which I think you have. At least once per week, at low speed only, there would be a rattling sound, a bit like a ratchet, for a few seconds. I never found out for sure what it was, but after over 4 years the gearbox was working fine. So perhaps it is a 'feature' of the dry-plate DSG?

mrtklcsln

Post by mrtklcsln » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi Smiffy,
In my situation rattling is very very short so I prefer to say knock like something release the clutch and then keeps again. And it is very low sound. But occurs nearly everytime at low speeds when changing between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.
But thank you very much for the explanation because at least I understand this is hopefully not a defect that may leave me helpless in the middle of an highway :)

What do you think about other issues? Does your Ateca have Sunroof?

Smiffy

Post by Smiffy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Well. for what it's worth:

Issue 2 - no, I don't have a sunroof. The other car is a Mini convertible, and that has to be closed manually.

Issue 3 - I have found that (transparent) silicone bathroom sealant has a million uses. If you ran a tiny strip of it between the cover and the glass, it would adhere to both and should stop the vibration. It also peels off very easily if you want to remove it.

Issue 4 - Mine is a 2.0 TSI and that doesn't have a TSI logo either - it just says 4Drive on the back. If it feels like a TSI, then it probably is one. I loved that engine in the Polo (that didn't say TSI either - it said GT).

Good luck!

mrtklcsln

Post by mrtklcsln » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Thank you very much for your valuable comments. 👍

mrtklcsln

Post by mrtklcsln » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:00 am

Weird. This is ATECA Forum but there is nobody except Smiffy that can help me about the issues.

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:22 am

mrtklcsln wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:00 am
Weird. This is ATECA Forum but there is nobody except Smiffy that can help me about the issues.
Generally I don't comment unless I have something valuable to add... also I only come to the forums once in a while these days so you may get a few more responses in time...?

However...

Issue 1: I don't have a DSG so cannot assist there.
Issue 2: I don't have the panoramic sunroof, so cannot assist there either.
Issue 3: I don't have the annoying rattle, and it's the kind of thing you don't disassemble yourself (normally), so can't comment there. You are right that it is an annoying defect though.

Issue 4: My XCellence 1.4 TSi has no badges at all - just says Ateca at the back and that is it. The UK SE-Technology trim of old used to say SE-Technology, but I don't recall it displaying TSi either.

The badging will vary by theatre (country/local market), trim level and personal choice. VW for example give you the option to add or remove the TSi badges, SEAT tend to define it - its presence (or lack of) won't necessarily reflect anything. Maybe the cars you saw also elected to add aftermarket TSi badges...? (It's a possibility).

Additionally, the only two petrol engines at the time I ordered (before the 1.5Evo and the 2.0L TSi on the FR launched) were 1.0TSi or 1.4TSi. The TSi just represents the fact that the engine is turbocharged, not normal aspiration. All of the petrol power trains on the UK spec at least were turbo-charged so the TSi badging became redundant.

Some key sanity checks though:

1. Is it petrol engine? (If yes then it will be TSi)
2. Do you have the Drive Mode selector knob? (If yes then it should at least be a 150HP power plant - read 1.4TSi or 1.5 Evo).
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

mrtklcsln

Post by mrtklcsln » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:29 am

Thank you very much. 👍

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:29 am

I don't have any of those issues so I can't help you but you mention leaving the sunroof open?

I'm not aware of any car that warns you if you leave a window open therefore why should it warn you if you leave the sunroof open?

Convenience function? Not aware of that term but there is something called 'global opening/closing'. If you've left any window open (including sunroof) when you leave the car, you can hold the lock key on the remote down for a few seconds and all the windows and sunroof will close. Same applies if you hold the 'open' button for a few seconds - the windows will lower and the roof will open. But if you simply left the sunroof open, locked the car as normal and walked away... no the car wouldn't warn you. What I fail to understand is if you left the roof open, why didn't the car alarm sound? The car alarm (in UK market anyway) has sensors that will detect air movement inside the car so a short time after locking the car and leaving a window or sunroof open, the alarm should have sounded. (you have to manually override before you lock the car if you don't want the alarm to sound - i.e. if you leave a pet inside the vehicle).

Regarding Tsi badge... all petrol engines are Tsi.

mrtklcsln

Post by mrtklcsln » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:45 am

Dear Golfmk56,
In the instruction book it says convenience open/close and it is exactly same thing as global open/close. For my car it is not working for sunroof but it is working for four Windows. My problem is Seat says it is normal for some of the cars. For same model name it is abnormal that one car has this function and other is not. Sometimes i forvet because there is "tilt" function that only leaves a small gap. And really afraid of leaving it tilted and then caught to rain. 🤔
About TSI logo badge i did not had any special request about it but there is no badge. Sonra i think Seat or Local Distributor have some cost down at this point. 😀
Alarm function was optional and mu car does not have also this function.

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”