Using a phone or mp3 player to play music/as a sat nav

The place to discuss everything else..
Wilber6

Using a phone or mp3 player to play music/as a sat nav

Post by Wilber6 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:47 am

Good morning everyone.
We all know that it is illegal to use your mobile for making/receiving calls and texts etc whilst driving, but what about using it as a music player (or sat nav for that matter)? What if it is in a dedicated mount like for a standalone sat nav unit? Can you be prosecuted for using it to change tracks, pause, start, that kind of thing? Similarly, I have used my ipod to play music in my car, would that be deemed illegal too even though it can't send or receive calls and texts?
I have often wondered about these issues. Does anyone have any thoughts or knows the answer?
BR, Wilber6
Wilber6
Ateca 1.0 Ecomotive SE Technology in Nevada White metallic, Nora Blue interior, 18" bi-colour alloys.
Merseyside

Silvertouran

Re: Using a phone or mp3 player to play music/as a sat nav

Post by Silvertouran » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 pm

It’s only illegal if you have it in your hand. That goes for any device , not just phones.
But they can prosecute you if they deem you to be driving erratically while playing with it.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 pm

In Spain, the rule is that you must not interact with the phone or separate satnav. However you can operate the Infotainment/nav system. It’s a very difficult law to police but if you have a phone in your hand you are in trouble.

The latest radars can spot this, together with not using seatbelts, and in the UK I believe they are using lorries with cameras for the same effect.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Silvertouran wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 pm
It’s only illegal if you have it in your hand. That goes for any device , not just phones.
But they can prosecute you if they deem you to be driving erratically while playing with it.
Not sure that's correct. I'm not aware of any law to say you can't use a handheld device, but there is a law to say you can be prosecuted for careless driving (or whatever the legal wording is nowadays). It's no different to smoking or eating in a car, both of which are not illegal but you could potentially be prosecuted for not being in control of your vehicle. I say prosecuted - more likely they'd give you a warning BUT if you happened to be eating or using an ipod and you're involved in an accident...

Phones and sat navs are an exception. As per above, it's illegal to use your phone whilst driving but many fail to realise it's also illegal to use it whilst in control of your vehicle. So if you're stopped in a queue of traffic or say waiting at traffic lights, you can be prosecuted for using your handheld phone or satnav. Same even goes if you pull over. I passed someone yesterday who had pulled over and stopped on a bend in the road and was using his phone. If caught he could well have been prosecuted - you must be parked safely.

The grey area is if you've stopped at traffic lights or waiting in a queue of traffic and you change music tracks on your phone, is that against the law? I reckon common sense would prevail and you'd be given a warning.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”