1.5TSI Evo manual - Possible first gear jumpiness?

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
dbj

1.5TSI Evo manual - Possible first gear jumpiness?

Post by dbj » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Incidentally, is anyone worried about some reports of first gear jumpiness with this engine on the Arona, Karoq and T-Roc ?
Thought I’d start a new thread for this. Apologies for referencing other forums, but the volume of posts regarding kangarooing in first gear with the 1.5TSI engine already used on other models is a little worrying, but worth a read - especially the later posts.

Arona 1.5TSI Evo:
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/s ... the-arona/

T-Roc 1.5TSI:
https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic. ... b5735999ce

Karoq 1.5TSI:
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... ear-issue/

To summarise: It seems widely experienced, but some have it others don’t. Dealers often simply say it’s driving style that needs adjusting (especially for former diesel drivers). Some software updates seem to have been applied with variable success. Other more recent posts suggest it’s more mechanical rather than software. Latest posts suggest the VW Group are aware of a problem, but no sign of a fix.

With the first 1.5 TSI Ateca now imminent, it’ll be interesting to hear any early reports. Perhaps I’d have been better off with the old 1.4TSI engine as originally ordered…..
Ordered week 19 - 1.4 TSI (now 1.5) SE Technology, Reflex Silver with Panoramic Sunroof, SEAT Sound (now Beats) , Double Boot Floor, Top & Rear Cameras.

Sop

Re: 1.5TSI Evo manual - Possible first gear jumpiness?

Post by Sop » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:21 pm

we have long time to wait for our cars. So meanwhile before we get the cars i think problems will be solved.
There is no need to worry yet.

Hayden mills

Post by Hayden mills » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:23 pm

I picked up my new 1.5 evo ateca last week and have the same problem really jumpy in 1st or you change into 2nd gear and there's no power there!

Hate it compared to the 1.4 Tsi Ateca I had previously
68 plate Ateca 1.5 Evo Manual
Xcellence Lux, Rhodium Grey

Kevin D

Post by Kevin D » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Picked up my new Ateca 1.5 fr mid-November can confirm the jumpiness in 1st gear,I have found it to be worse on restarting after a short break.I have noticed the revs seem to be increased which you wouldn’t expect,so potentially more fuel being metered in than req.but not being expert this is no more than a hunch.hoping to hear from people they do have the knowledge..

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:34 pm

This isn't just limited to the 1.5. I also find it annoying with my 1.4 to get the revs balance right in stop / start traffic. I find I'm either over-revving and working the clutch, or trying a classic diesel start (just lift the clutch without any revs) which can result in jumpiness / kangarooing!!!. All followed by the lovely crunch of the box from 1st into 2nd. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in 40 years without this issue so I'm not blaming myself quite yet. At the dealer first thing tomorrow so they can test drive it. This will give them a chance to check out the ride as well.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Brenngun

Post by Brenngun » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:54 am

Picked our car up last week and both my wife & I have managed to stall the car on a number of occasions starting off from stationary. Seems worse after the car has warmed up. Changed the view on the consol last night so it shows the rev counter but it would appear theres a dead spot between idle and 2500 revs in 1st once the engine has warmed up.
MY19 + 1.5 Evo Man + Xcellence Lux + Lava Blue

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 am

Honest John in the Telegraph made this comment yesterday.

The whisper is that VW is well aware of a problem on 1.5 TSI Evo 150 engines subjected to the new WLTP emissions and fuel consumption tests, and is working to cure low-speed jerkiness. It should be coming through in the next few weeks and is worth the wait. Deliveries of new cars with this engine have been held up as a result.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

TomMurray

Post by TomMurray » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:50 pm

I've had my 1.5 for a week or two now. I don't notice what I would describe as jumpiness, but I do notice the very bad dead spot, which means you need to use first gear at low speeds and therefor need expert clutch control or a you will have a jumpy drive. As for driving style, I am not coming from a diesel - I'm coming from an Ibiza with the 1.4 engine - so shouldn't be that different (and also an S2000, which is very different, but that is expected! :lol: ).

Will be keeping an eye on this to see if they do release an update and will be straight in to get it sorted.
MY19 Spec 1.5 TSI Xcellence ordered week 39.
Unconfirmed build date week 47 / Built week 47 / Arrived at dealer week 50 / Picked up week 52

TomMurray

Post by TomMurray » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:57 pm

OK, yeah I get the jumpiness now. On a cold fresh start, need to crawl around the car park or off my drive. Usually in any other car I'd change to second, (maybe foot off the clutch) and coast around. However since second has that dead spot, I'm leaving it in first. This causes kangarooing. To be fair this would probably happen in any other car as first gear isn't designed for slow crawling, it is just to get you initially moving. But since we can't use second, we have to use a jumpy first.
MY19 Spec 1.5 TSI Xcellence ordered week 39.
Unconfirmed build date week 47 / Built week 47 / Arrived at dealer week 50 / Picked up week 52

Hayden mills

Post by Hayden mills » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:41 am

Brenngun wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:54 am
Picked our car up last week and both my wife & I have managed to stall the car on a number of occasions starting off from stationary. Seems worse after the car has warmed up. Changed the view on the consol last night so it shows the rev counter but it would appear theres a dead spot between idle and 2500 revs in 1st once the engine has warmed up.
I picked my 1.5 evo ateca up in December and have a thread about the jumpiness and losing throttle/ clutch not biting every so often causing a stall,

I took it in before Xmas for them to look at and technician drove it and said there wasn't anything up with it and it's driving fine, but by time i drove it to them it had warmed up so find it ok once the engines warmed up,

I had the 1.4 Tsi from when the ateca was released in 2017 and find this one not as good as the old engine I had!

Think seat know about the problem but don't want to admit it till they find a fix :roll:
68 plate Ateca 1.5 Evo Manual
Xcellence Lux, Rhodium Grey

Return to “Faults & Technical”