Ateca Key just stopped Working

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Fred99

Re: Ateca Key just stopped Working

Post by Fred99 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:42 pm

It does seem, from varios posts, that the batteries last just over 2 years irrespective of how they are used. Also the warnings seem to be hit and miss.

I would suggest that they are changed every 24 months even if they seem to be OK.

It very easy to do. Open the key and put something like a big screwdriver blade or even the blunt end of a dinner knife or fork in the slot where the key rests and twist. Don’t try and do it with your fingers as the plastic edges are sharp and you may cut yourself. The cover will pop off easily. There is a very small slot, just big enough for a very small screwdriver, in the area surrounding the battery. Use that to release the battery. Inserting the new one is easy, just pop it in and press into place.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

jonny600

Post by jonny600 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:56 am

hi google sent me here, my ateca just done same, was new march 2018 , spare key works fine , batteries both circa 2.93v , will try new one but sure its key, no red light either

did any of you have key in a Faraday pouch , long shot i know maybe thats knackering them

jonny600

Post by jonny600 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:07 pm

turns out was battery, new duracell was 3.3v weird other key worked though

Dsldude

Post by Dsldude » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:40 pm

Yeah don't get Morrisons own brand ones, I did, left me scratching my head before seeing this thread.
Tested them with a volt meter and they were 3v so I think its about the current they give aswell as volts.
swapped for Duracell and worked fine.
2017 1.4 TSI DSG Xcellence In Lava Blue, Options: Panoramic Roof, Virtual Pedal Boot, Double Boot Floor.

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:38 am

Seems I was a lucky one. stopped working with no warning. Changed the battery for a proper branded one, heart in mouth pressed the button. Never been so relived to unlock a car with a remote in my life.
Black 190 DSG Excellence

tmehanna

Post by tmehanna » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:46 pm

Same thing happened to me, KESSY not working reliably for a couple of weeks then one day car wouldn't unlock even with unlock button. No dash warning. Spare key worked but Please replace key battery message popped up when I started, no chime, I even missed it the first time because it was only displayed very briefly upon engine start. Replaced both batteries and all is good. Looks like the dash warning is unreliable and easily missed when it actually works. As useless as the driver alert assist.

Lippy2365

Post by Lippy2365 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:00 pm

I have a late 2016 ateca that I am constantly changing the batteries on the key fobs. Well I have done about 10-12 in three years

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:34 pm

Lippy2365 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:00 pm
I have a late 2016 ateca that I am constantly changing the batteries on the key fobs. Well I have done about 10-12 in three years
Perhaps you're using crap batteries?

Andreal

Post by Andreal » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:12 am

Hi i have just had the same problem with my key not working, the doors sound like they are locking when driving, my radio fades in and out , also my cruise control has stopped working, garage had it for a day and said the diagnostic machine found no faults , its going back again next week as i need this fixing,and today my windscreen wiper has started making a noise , this car is only 2 1/2 years old and out of warrenty in september.

Wilber6

Post by Wilber6 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:11 am

Good morning everyone.
I have previously responded to a similar post on this subject.
I have had my Ateca for 18 months and have had to change the key fob battery 3 times. Each time I replace the previous battery with a Duracell one. My key fob merely opens the doors remotely (or the hatch) it is not a kessy system. However, to fold in the wing mirrors every time I park, I have to hold the remote button in for 3 seconds. I believe that is what is causing the reduced lifetime of the batteries.
With previous cars I have had, the batteries have lasted 2 years or more.
I am not that bothered about having to change them so often as even Duracell batteries can be bought on ebay or the like for about £1 each and it takes 30 sec to change the battery. I keep spare ones in the glove compartment and one in my wallet.
Wilber6
Wilber6
Ateca 1.0 SE Technology Ecomotive in Nevada White metallic, Nora Blue interior, 18" bi-colour alloys, space saver spare wheel, privacy glass.
Merseyside