Unintentional oversteer

All Seat Ateca related discussions
SCBomorse

Unintentional oversteer

Post by SCBomorse » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:51 am

I've got a 1.6TDi DSG on 19"s. The car is only a couple of weeks old so the tyres aren't an issue. However, I have found grip to be appalling.

It mainly understeers even when not pushing it. However, twice now I've experienced major oversteer. I manage to catch it before the ESP finally kicks in (the ESP seems to be extremely lenient!)

I'm not complaining, I actually find it a lot of fun. I was just wondering if you guys had noticed your backend was a little wayward at times? Knowing my car is a little tail happy is great, it already drives really nicely and this is a bonus (I used to own a 2.8 Capri and rear driven Lexus so I'm pretty confident with oversteer)
Ateca 1.6tdi Xcellence Lux DSG in Samoa Orange 8-)

Paul.Cambs

Re: Unintentional oversteer

Post by Paul.Cambs » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:28 am

I wonder, have you checked tire pressures - seems a lot are shipped with high pressures and not corrected at dealerships
'Samantha' is a Feb-2018 Samoa FR 2.0 TSi 4Drive DSG
19" Wheels | KESSY | Power Tailgate | Adaptive Cruise | Top View Camera | Seat Sound
Convenience Pack | Winter Pack | Advanced Comfort and Driving Plus Pack | Heated Front Screen

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am

Maybe you should get it to the garage to check the geometry. Mine was very nervous in crosswinds, I had it checked and the geometry was all messed up. They adjusted everything, and now it's much better. I've heard that other Ateca owners have had the same problem. Many of these seem to come out of the production line with bad geometry.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Tet70 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am
Maybe you should get it to the garage to check the geometry. Mine was very nervous in crosswinds, I had it checked and the geometry was all messed up. They adjusted everything, and now it's much better. I've heard that other Ateca owners have had the same problem. Many of these seem to come out of the production line with bad geometry.
Did it cause you to oversteer? It's an interesting theory, I'll monitor it and take it back if it continues. Grip is atrocious in the damp, even minor cornering speeds see it washing wide.

Analoguekid

Post by Analoguekid » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Having too high a pressure on rear can also allow oversteer, do you have anything in the boot? (Extra weight can have a pendulum effect)

Lift off oversteer (FWD) is not usually easy to provoke, you were either giving it some with high revs or on a downhill negative camber bend.

My car was a bit skittish over bumps and broken tarmac, (Falken tyres oe fit) particulary when wet and greasy, but settled down when i reduced the tyre pressures to ‘comfort’ settings.

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:28 pm

Even with the gearbox and engine in Economy and with the ACC pulling away, it can still wheel spin in greasy weather.
The grip really is that poor.

Paul.Cambs

Post by Paul.Cambs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:04 pm

The ACC doesn't pull up to speed that quick - thats amazing it can spin - did you check the tire pressures?
'Samantha' is a Feb-2018 Samoa FR 2.0 TSi 4Drive DSG
19" Wheels | KESSY | Power Tailgate | Adaptive Cruise | Top View Camera | Seat Sound
Convenience Pack | Winter Pack | Advanced Comfort and Driving Plus Pack | Heated Front Screen

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 pm

With ACC in sport and greasy, wet conditions the Ateca once had a moment of wheel spin.

The tyres are as standard from factory, the car is only 2 weeks old. I haven't adjusted anything.

I've been driving other cars on these same roads for the past 14 years, I know every crack, bump and camber.

There are a few cars I've had over the years that oversteer much easier on the same roads, at the same speeds and in the same conditions. A memorable one being a Fiat Stilo that drifted around islands and corners with no provocation (much fun too 😁)

Like I said before, I'm not complaining. I've learnt advanced driving for using work's rapid response vehicles and I've experience in owning powerful RWD cars too.

I'm just surprised that a car this new, with huge wheels (giving more grip) would be so susceptible to oversteer.

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:27 am

SCBomorse wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 pm
The tyres are as standard from factory, the car is only 2 weeks old. I haven't adjusted anything.
Then you should check the pressures as soon as you can. Mine had way too much pressure in the tyres when I got it.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”