Automatic braking intervention by Park Assist

All Seat Ateca related discussions
SCBomorse

Automatic braking intervention by Park Assist

Post by SCBomorse » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:05 am

I read that this was included in my Ateca and yesterday found an opportunity to test it so you don't have to! :lol:

I was driving down an industrial estate and found a closed road plastic barrier at the side of the road. So I set it up and tried to get the auto braking intervention to activate.

I can confirm it does and spectacularly! If you reverse first before going forward it works. I tried going from park to drive and slowly approaching the barrier (which was out of range of my front parking sensors) and the car didn't stop or brake.

Trying it again but putting it in reverse first did the trick, the car stopped a small distance from the object (I've added pics to show the distance it stopped)

As long as you're not driving too fast - normal parking speeds only, the car has time to react to the parking sensors and stop the car in time. I tried doing it a little faster and the car braked but still made contact with the barrier.

It was an interesting experience and managed to test it in a way that wouldn't damage my Ateca if it made contact. Pics below:

20190113_120501.jpg

20190113_120336.jpg

Ateca 1.6tdi Xcellence Lux DSG in Samoa Orange 8-)

Tet70

Re: Automatic braking intervention by Park Assist

Post by Tet70 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:46 am

There is a speed limit (I can't remember what it is exactly) under which the parking sensors are activated automatically. So I think it not so much that the car has time to react to sensors, but simply the sensors are turned on only in low speed. And if you activate them by reversing (or by pressing the button), they are turned off automatically after that speed limit is reached.

But nice test, anyway. I have not had the opportunity to test this, so it's nice to know it works. :)
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

nitrous

Post by nitrous » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:33 am

Nice work!

I have had automatic braking slam on the brakes when I nearly backed into an invisible bollard the other day. Saved my bacon.

The park sensors (and camera(s)) are deactivated at 11MpH.

CheeseR

Post by CheeseR » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:11 pm

is the automatic braking only applies for cars with parking assist(both rear and front sensors), or also to the cars with rear sensors only?
SEAT Ateca 1.4 EcoTSI DSG Xcellence Waive in cappuccino beige MY18
Sunroof, NAVI, Top view camera, ACC, Winter pack, Drive assist pack 2.

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:45 pm

If you go above about 7MPH in either direction, the car doesn't have enough time to brake as it only uses the ultrasound and not radar.

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:52 am

CheeseR wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:11 pm
is the automatic braking only applies for cars with parking assist(both rear and front sensors), or also to the cars with rear sensors only?
I'm not sure. All Ateca's come with Park Assit according to the brochure, so they have the full range of sensors front and back.

Paul.Cambs

Post by Paul.Cambs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 am

They may do from MY19, but mine only has rear sensors (MY18)
'Samantha' is a Feb-2018 Samoa FR 2.0 TSi 4Drive DSG
19" Wheels | KESSY | Power Tailgate | Adaptive Cruise | Top View Camera | Seat Sound
Convenience Pack | Winter Pack | Advanced Comfort and Driving Plus Pack | Heated Front Screen

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”