1.6tdi or 2.tdi?

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Mr-M

1.6tdi or 2.tdi?

Post by Mr-M » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 am

I hope to by a diesel Ateca but am unsure which gives better fuel economy, 1.6Tdi DSG or 2.0Tdi DSG? (manual is not an option for me).
I drive 10,000 a year, mostly town and good A road but with a short motorway journey each week.
The difference in price between them isn't really an issue for me.

Anyone have any 'real' mpg figures as I know the ones claimed by manufacturers are optimistic at best. I don't mean what mpg the onboard computer tells you (they're optimistic too) but what you have worked out after topping the tank.

Thanks
Steve
Ateca 2.0Tdi DSG Xcellence Lux Rhodium Grey

Ste

Re: 1.6tdi or 2.tdi?

Post by Ste » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:36 am

Hello
If you’re mainly driving in town and only doing 10k a year I would pick a petrol over a diesel every time. The time it would take to see the return in cost is not worth it IMO.

silent ninja

Post by silent ninja » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Why diesel?

With the DPF and other jiggery pokery they add to diesels to make them environmentally safe, petrol is a simpler option. For 10k miles a year the maths doesn't make sense at all (if you're buying) when you factor in the higher initial outlay plus higher cost in fuel.

However, I think it could make sense if you're leasing. I've had a diesel for 3 years on 10k miles per year but it was leased so I didn't care and it gave me the cheapest monthly cost at the time. The engine was a bit tough for short journeys.

matthab

Post by matthab » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Petrol, diesel at that mileage is pointless and will be a nightmare.
Seat Ateca 1.5tsi DSG Xcellence Lux Black Magic

Mr-M

Post by Mr-M » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am

Thanks for the replies but I'm no closer to knowing which of the diesel engines returns the best mpg.
I have been put off the petrol engine due to the many reports (Seat, Skoda, VW) of kangarooing and loss of power when cold.

I usually keep a car at least 7 or 8 years although leasing is also an option for me now.
Steve

silent ninja

Post by silent ninja » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 am

Mr-M

Post by Mr-M » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 am

silent ninja wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 am
Take a look at
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/seat/ateca-2016
Thanks. I already looked there but there are no 'real world' figures for the DSG versions.
Steve

reallywantanateca

Post by reallywantanateca » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:44 pm

I too was struggling to choose between the 1.6tdi and 2.tdi. In the end after test driving the 1.6TDI I went for it.

In terms of mpg I've had several long journeys with an mpg of just of 60. Typically get about 55 for a long journey. Around the city get around 40mpg. So with mixed driving on a tank the car computer usually reports between 45 and 50 'since refuelling' when it gets near empty. I think the long term avg on car computer is 48.

Performance of the engine is adequate. I guess opinion on performance is relative to what you are used to though.

My reasons for going for 1.6 were -

Bigger boot as 2.0 as AWD which reduces boot space.
No adblue - extra hassle/cost although I believe this has now changed and both engines now have adblue
Cost - 1.6 was significantly cheaper.

If the 2.0 150 TDI was available as 2WD rather than AWD I think I would have gone for it as the biggest negative for the 2.0 for me was the smaller boot.

Mine is manual rather than DSG though.

Honest john has 1.6 as real world MPG of 48 and 2.0 150ps real world mpg of 44. See links below. 48 is my long term mpg so i'd say that's fairly accurate. Yes these are for manual rather than DSG but I can't imagine the figures would be too different for DSG.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/se ... 016/16-tdi
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/se ... di-150-4wd

With the tank being slightly bigger for 2.0 you'd probably get about the same amount of miles from a full tank.

If cost isn't an issue for you. It really come down to which is more important to use - the bigger boot with the 2WD 1.6 or better acceleration with the AWD 2.0.
Ateca Xcellence 1.6TDI - Nevada White + space saver spare + heated windscreen

Ste

Post by Ste » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Hello
The reasons I gave for petrol over diesel is that I have been in that situation of doing short distances in a diesel, the car I had was always forcing a dpf regen so it will be very difficult for you to get real mpg figures. Mine ended up with an average of 26mpg. Had to sell it after 6 months. Just trying to help as the diesels are not the old oil burners like they used to be with all new technologies needed to pass emission tests.

Mr-M

Post by Mr-M » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks for all the answers.
After reading them, doing research elsewhere and a test drive I have decided on a 2.0Tdi 150bhp 2 wheel drive.
The boot is a good size.
I do a motorway journey weekly so the dpf won't be a problem as it will run at normal temp for long enough to do whats needed.

Thanks again.
Steve

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”