Does anyone know how to use park assist?

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Golfmk56

Re: Does anyone know how to use park assist?

Post by Golfmk56 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:30 am

coleman keith wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 am
Being honest I wouldn't bother with it. its so time consuming you should be able to park the car your self much quicker. Its just a gimick for showing off to your friends that you have it. I had it on several company cars. each time is asked the dealer if it could be removed. when asked why I replied "it was an affront to my masculinity" LOL
That's been my attitude with other self-parking cars I've used, yet despite being very confident and competent at parking, VW's parallel parking is very good. That said there are times when the system hasn't detected a space yet I've managed to park without any issue. I think it's a brilliant system for someone who's not confident. Is it worth the money? Not in my opinion it's not.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:32 am

Golfmk56 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:30 am
coleman keith wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 am
Being honest I wouldn't bother with it. its so time consuming you should be able to park the car your self much quicker. Its just a gimick for showing off to your friends that you have it. I had it on several company cars. each time is asked the dealer if it could be removed. when asked why I replied "it was an affront to my masculinity" LOL
That's been my attitude with other self-parking cars I've used, yet despite being very confident and competent at parking, VW's parallel parking is very good and take no more time to use - I'd argue it saves time. ( assuming a few seconds is important to anyone ).

That said there are times when the system hasn't detected a space yet I've managed to park without any issue. I think it's a brilliant system for someone who's not confident. Is it worth the money? Not in my opinion it's not.

nitrodrummer

Post by nitrodrummer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:44 pm

think they only really put park assist in for the girls ;)

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:14 am

nitrodrummer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:44 pm
think they only really put park assist in for the girls ;)
I dont understand, why just girls?

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:02 am

I have it, but don't use it very often as I am usually parking in decent car parks where it isn't necessary. I also find that there is always someone behind you who gets upset with the time it takes to find a space, set it up and actually park it.

It really is very good. The first time I tried it my wife screamed when it swung the nose in very fast and very close to the car in front!

Frankly it was worth the extra for the all round parking sensors. The other great parking aid is the topview camera especially for guiding you dead centre between the white lines.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Jettabout

Post by Jettabout » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am

Why not just say 'blonds' then it's for either sex, I mean there are plenty 'snowflakes' around these days of all sexes....
And one can change ones hair colour very easily.
Dave.
2019 Ateca SE Tech 2.0ltr Tdi, Rodium grey, now with spare wheel...

nitrodrummer

Post by nitrodrummer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:22 pm

not me I'm bald LOL

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:02 am
I also find that there is always someone behind you who gets upset with the time it takes to find a space, set it up and actually park it.
Parking in to a bay yes, but parallel parking ? The system takes no time whatsoever to setup - you simply push the autopark button when you're driving along looking for a space. And when the system finds a space, you stop the car as you would do normally, engage reverse as you would do normally and reverse in to that space, as you would do normally. Where's the delay?

In fact I could argue that with parallel parking the system works every time which I'm sure not even a belching, beer drinking alpha male Australian rules Rugby player who thinks he's the world's best parker can replicate. :D

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:53 pm

The Spanish drivers are not very tolerant. They will sound their horn at the slightest opportunity and slowing down to park really gets them going. Their preferred method of parking is to double park irrespective of the chaos that causes. In metered zones they will park in the road rather that park in the blue parking space as they will get a ticket if they don’t pay for a metered space but the traffic warden cannot fine them for parking in the road. The local police can fine them, but they are more likely to be in the nearest cafe having a brandy!

Severe road rage is very unusual but general intolerance and selfish behaviour is rife!

Still, the weather is nice and they don’t have traffic jams or potholes.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:43 pm

I never thought I'd use the system as parallel parking is my forte. However, once you're used to it it's actually pretty great. It activates the steering faster than you can and you can park pretty speedily.
Ateca 1.6tdi Xcellence Lux DSG in Samoa Orange 8-)

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”