Total Indifference by Dealer

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Davidj241

Total Indifference by Dealer

Post by Davidj241 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:42 pm

Recently whilst looking to buy a new car I had the misfortune to approach Motorvogue Seat in Bedford.
Here is a copy of an email I sent the salesman and copied his sales manager as to what happened
Dear Sir

My wife and I came into your showroom on Wed 6th March to test drive a Seat Ateca with a view to purchase. We were dealt with by xxxx who at the time was very helpful.
After some consideration we decided that the Ateca was the car for us and I then telephoned xxxx on the morning of Tuesday 12th to discuss this and he promised to come back with figures by the end of the day. I heard nothing from him and on Wednesday afternoon (13th) I telephoned again and was promised figures would be with me by close of business that day.
Having heard nothing I telephoned again on Thursday this time to be told he was out of the office so I left a message asking him to contact me when he returned.
Yesterday, having still heard nothing I telephoned again this time to be told he was on a test drive with a customer so I left yet another message for him to contact me.
By 15:20 I still had not heard, so I called again, and this time spoke to xxxx in person and who informed that the information would be with me by the end of the day.
It is now Saturday Afternoon and I am still waiting !!
Quite honestly, if this is the typical of the service I can expect as a potential customer then I will have to take my business elsewhere.
I look forward to a positive response from you in due course.
Within 5 minutes I at least had a phone call from the salesman who once again promised figures by the end of the day.
The saga continued:

Good afternoon xxxx

Shortly after my previous e-mail you contacted me and took details of my existing car and my requirements regarding a new Seat Ateca. You came back to me with figures for a 4 year lease, however I had originally asked for 2 1/2 years. You agreed to send me the revised figures later on Saturday afternoon.
On Sunday morning I received an e-mail from you stating that you would send me the figures later in the day.

It is now Monday afternoon and I have still not received the figures from you.

Consequently I have no further interest in purchasing a car from yourselves as I have now negotiated a deal with another Seat dealer who provided me with the information with a couple of hours of my request.

I am sorry that your company does not appear to want my business as I would have preferred to deal with my local supplier, but due to the lack of action on your part I made the decision to deal with a dealer who is keen to support me.

Did I get a reply? - did i heck as like! So if anyone is looking to buy a Seat in the Bedford area I would certainly steer clear of this dealer.

Rory

Re: Total Indifference by Dealer

Post by Rory » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Who was the good dealer?

The one we used, SEAT Wrexham, was very keen to sell us a car. Pity they were crap after that - would have been nice to have had the car properly prepared on delivery, and at the least the bad dealer you had answered the 'phone!

Based on the experience, I can't see the "something with 7 seats" that I'm looking out for will be a Tarraco.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Davidj241

Post by Davidj241 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Good dealer was Marshall Seat Leicester - prompt response to enquiry, answered all e-mails and phone calls - and managed to negotiate a £4K on my Excellence Lux 1.5tsi dsg - I won’t be using them for servicing though as they are 95 miles away.

Musselbrook

Post by Musselbrook » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:59 am

My advice to anyone is get on Car Wow, it saved me a fortune and took the hassle out of dealing with an idiot sales man who knew nothing about what they were selling. The days of car salesman actually giving a sh1t are long gone but that’s probably because the commission has fallen off a cliff.

silent ninja

Post by silent ninja » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:09 am

Car wow is okay. I've had much better deals via Drive the Deal.

To the op, I had the same experience. It's not a SEAT thing, it's a thing in the car industry from the 80's and 90's that persists today. Many dealerships - which are privately owned by the way - treat customers like dog poo because they think they have a captive audience. The car industry is very old fashioned and slow to change.

I tried to place an order for a SEAT Ateca. The dealer took my deposit then simply refused to progress an order. I had to chase at every turn. Despite my finance application being approved, they sat on the paperwork and simply refused to place an order - "we're busy at the moment, it's March...So-and-so is out the office and he's the only one who can do it...he's out on a test drive...he's with a customer." Never once did they ring me back and I placed 22 calls in 6 days. After a week's worth of chasing and wasting my time, I pulled the order, demanded my money back and went with another dealer.

The second dealer did the whole lot and placed an order with SEAT within 2 days.

Rory

Post by Rory » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:02 pm

silent ninja wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:09 am
I tried to place an order for a SEAT Ateca. The dealer took my deposit then simply refused to progress an order. I had to chase at every turn. Despite my finance application being approved, they sat on the paperwork and simply refused to place an order -
How did you become aware they hadn't placed the order?

Whenever I've bought a car, we signed an order form and the next thing was being called and told the car was ready. I would have no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

Must admit the Ateca deal felt a bit odd as the dealer wasn't bothered about a deposit so we didn't leave one, but we did have a courtesy car until the Ateca arrived so I felt sure the dealer would be doing what they could to expedite delivery. In practice it was about 4 weeks.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

silent ninja

Post by silent ninja » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Rory wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:02 pm
silent ninja wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:09 am
I tried to place an order for a SEAT Ateca. The dealer took my deposit then simply refused to progress an order. I had to chase at every turn. Despite my finance application being approved, they sat on the paperwork and simply refused to place an order -
How did you become aware they hadn't placed the order?

Whenever I've bought a car, we signed an order form and the next thing was being called and told the car was ready. I would have no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

Must admit the Ateca deal felt a bit odd as the dealer wasn't bothered about a deposit so we didn't leave one, but we did have a courtesy car until the Ateca arrived so I felt sure the dealer would be doing what they could to expedite delivery. In practice it was about 4 weeks.
We agreed the spec and finance, but I never saw an order form. They're an odd bunch, why you would mess someone about when you've literally closed the deal...

BrianG

Post by BrianG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:22 pm

My “purchase experience and journey” was a flatline experience, but I knew what I wanted, on delivery from signature to driving away 5-6 minutes. Next time I’ll seriously consider an iPad driven experience.
Looking back over Citroen’s, renaults, ford they were all very positive handovers and my custom had been valued, my BMWx3 was “revealed from under a large black cover with a giant heart hovering above bordering on the theatrical. I have more customer care when I upgrade my phone, I think the “sales experience” from a sales executive won’t be around for much longer, it took me a while to trust internet holidays but it’s the way now. My only concern with Seat now is the servicing and any issues, 2500 miles in and I have a lot of confidence in the car, time will tell.
2.0 FR, Velvet Red, 4Drive, Space saver spare & working rear view camera...

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”