Servicing for Personal Contract Hire

All Seat Ateca related discussions
nimdy

Servicing for Personal Contract Hire

Post by nimdy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:22 pm

I'm nearing my two year PCH agreement on my Ateca. The service log is baked into the car rather than noted in a book these days and seems to be on the long service schedule (traditionally 2yr or 20k?)

The service countdown has just come on, with the date being a week after the agreement ends. Does this mean I get away with not giving the car its only service under my ownership, or does the fact the countdown has come on mean I need to do it before handing it back? My agreement is two years 16k miles total, which I am just under at the moment.

I've called the general queries line of VW finance and asked 'for a friend' and they said that if the service light is on when the inspectors come to collect the car then they will not be able to collect it. I've read on other forum posts that the car tweaks the interval based on driving style, so don't want to get stung for the service date changing on the day of collection (if that makes sense?)

What should I do?

Furion

Re: Servicing for Personal Contract Hire

Post by Furion » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:02 am

Hi Nimdy

IMHO, Until you officially hand the car back it is your responsibility, however as always it depends on who you get on the day when you hand the car back and how much flexibility he/she will afford you, or if you get jobsworth who has to tick all the boxes

Even if your agreement has ended you still have use of the car therefor from their side of the table you should get it serviced, don’t forget you getting it serviced for the miles you have driven rather than the miles you will drive, if that makes sense.

Point of note I have been known to be wrong :lol: ..... hopefully someone can give you a better reply.

Have a look at the t&c’s of your agreement.
Furion
Ateca Xcellence Lux 2.0TDI 150 DSG 4Drive, Black Magic, Spare Wheel Kit, Electric Seats, Side Bars
Current: Jaguar XF 3.0TDV6 MY11

nimdy

Post by nimdy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 am

I'm not going out of my way to screw over the finance company, but if I can save a few quid legitimately I will do. Just double checked, the countdown is after the inspection and collection date, which has been provisionally booked in for three weeks before the contract end date (as we have another car coming that week anyway so don't want two Ateca's on the driveway, as nice as that would look.

Does this change things, contract ends Mid-August but car is due to be inspected and collected three weeks before this. Do responsibilities cease on collection date or contract end date. I have a feeling its the latter so need to get the car serviced anyway.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:46 am

Well if I were in your situation this would be my position:

The light/info on your car is not a 'service me now' light, it's a service reminder - it's reminding you that the service is approaching.

If that service is due AFTER I hand back the keys then it's not my responsibility.

This is where it gets slightly confusing. If you were on fixed intervals then that service date is fixed in stone. If however you're on variable servicing, then it's incorrect to say traditionally 2yr or 20k miles, the real answer is UP TO 2yr or 20k miles. With Long Life, it's the car that decides when it requires servicing - it determines this on how it's been driven.

So it really depends on what that service message says. If it's saying after the date you hand back the car, then it's not your responsibility. I'd tell them to stuff it and if they've got a problem, take me to court.

What I can't understand tho is you say you're nearing your 2yr lease. Given 2yr is the maximum length between services, you must be handing the car back early?

Edit: just saw your last reply... that answers my last point. Let me put in another way, if you ended your contract after the first 6mths you wouldn't be liable to have the car serviced BUT you'd have some sort of penalty to pay. Well it's no different here. You signed up to 2yr lease so handing it back early means you'd normally be liable for a penalty. The lease company are waiving this ( I assume your still using the same lease company for your new car?). If that's correct, then it's a tad cheeky not paying for a service that you contractually agreed to.

nimdy

Post by nimdy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Yes I am handing it back a few weeks early. Not for this servicing reason initially, it is because we have a car ordered on PCP arriving in the next couple of weeks. When my wife checked the online booking service for inspection/collection it doesn't seem to have an issue with choosing dates this early. I'll still be paying up to the end of the contract, just not getting the last three weeks use out of it as we'll be driving our shinny new car instead. Is this right? Surely they cannot inspect and collect all cars on the last day of contract and either collect early or give a few days grace afterwards? We tried to order so there would only be a week max between returning and taking delivery of cars, but it looks like this order has been speedier than we initially planned.

Furion

Post by Furion » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 pm

I had a look around, Parkers.co.uk, carexpert.co.uk, and so on one theme stands out

you’ve made all the monthly payments due,
kept to mileage limits,
haven’t damaged the car (beyond fair wear and tear) and
have serviced the vehicle as specified in your finance agreement

You mentioned your service regime is 2 years / 20k if that is what is written into your agreement then technically at 2 years the service is due if you haven’t done 20k, if I was in your position I would wait until the car is inspected, if the guy says it needs to be serviced before it goes back then you know where you stand, however because you are taking on a new car with the same company they may wave the service , your old car will go to auction service due won’t have a big impact on value there.
Furion
Ateca Xcellence Lux 2.0TDI 150 DSG 4Drive, Black Magic, Spare Wheel Kit, Electric Seats, Side Bars
Current: Jaguar XF 3.0TDV6 MY11

nimdy

Post by nimdy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:58 pm

I couldn't find much online with this particular circumstance. My wife called SEAT yesterday and they said they count the countdown as the service due light, so to be on the safe side we are booking it in for the service anyway. We could wait for the inspection date as you suggested, but I think they can also charge an abortive visit if they cannot pick up the car due to a service being a requirement. Guess I'll have to stump up the £240 after all. Its going to be an expensive month, what with the GAP and insurance for the new car coming up!

Ateca_19

Post by Ateca_19 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:40 pm

I've just come across this scenario with our Leon FR which has just gone back to ALD/BCA today.

As of this morning the Leon has 6 days remaining before service due warning when starting it up.

A few weeks ago, we rang ALD automotive (not VWFS so may be different for you) and asked them if we needed to service it before it was sent back. We quite clearly stated that it's is only counting down, not technically 'due'.

They said it's fine as long as it's not due or overdue then the countdown warning is acceptable to be sent back with.
That being said, you can also see evidence of this within the BVRLA fair wear and tear guidelines under 'Mechanical Condition'
"Advisory illuminated alerts are acceptable, eg countdowns to the vehicle's next service"

Anyway, the BCA guy came and inspected today, no problems found whatsoever with bodywork, interior or mechanical. He wasn't bothered about the service countdown.

Roll on our new Ateca next week!

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”