Driving Modes

All Seat Ateca related discussions
welshmike03

Driving Modes

Post by welshmike03 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Anyone actually use their Eco or Sport driving modes? do you actually notice much difference in how the car drives?

Smiffy

Re: Driving Modes

Post by Smiffy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:57 pm

I use Sport sometimes. The main thing is that it puts the DSG into sport mode (which you could do from the gear lever). The only other thing I've noticed is that it makes the ACC more responsive - not in terms of distance - that's a different control, but in terms of how quickly it reacts.
The ECO mode just seems to slug everything.

Malcster

Post by Malcster » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Sport seems to basically keep to the lower gears, thus more noise and less mpg, but more acceleration

reallywantanateca

Post by reallywantanateca » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:30 pm

In a manual the difference is less obvious but there's still a difference. Sport makes the steering heavier and sporty. The main difference in acceleration I notice is from a standing start, sport gives full throttle power whereas normal seems slightly held back and eco even more so.
Ateca Xcellence 1.6TDI - Nevada White + space saver spare + heated windscreen

Sash

Post by Sash » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:48 pm

With a manual 1.5 TSI the difference is negligible in my view, although it is a bit more noticeable after the software update. But anyway there is not as much difference as it used to be with a 1.4 TSI engine.

I am using the Individual mode, which is Sport throttle with Normal steering. There is nothing sporty about this Sport mode, just a tiny bit less of a lag.

I would have dropped this function, as it became a useless gimmick with the 1.5 engine, for something more useful like ACC or even wireless charging for lower spec models.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 pm

I tend to keep my 1.4 manual in Normal mode most of the time but flick it into Sport if I need the extra boost for overtaking or fancy a bit more fun. In these instances I find the power difference quite noticeable but the steering gets too heavy for normal use. I never use Eco.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

bantamspaul

Post by bantamspaul » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:58 am

I use Sport for fun. Eco I find a little bit dangerous - been caught out trying to overtake on the motorway but with no kickdown
2017 Ateca 1.4TSi Xcellence DSG in Silver bought 2nd hand in Jan 2019

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Forget about kickdown - use the paddles.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Mode dial makes a massive difference on my car. I drove it in Eco almost exclusively when I first got it and I never really liked the car. Once I'd run it in properly, I started driving in Normal and Sport and it was a completely different vehicle.

Here are my findings, YMMV.

Eco - very sluggish and resistant to changing down. If it does, it will only change down 1 gear. Will change down further if you use the kick-down* (which also fully opens the throttle). Eco is the only setting where the vehicle coasts. I only use it pootling in town where I can hit a very respectable MPG in the mid-40s.

Normal - More eager to change down and will change down more than 1 gear if necessary, depending on throttle input. Don't have to use kick-down*, just floor it.

Sport - Holds lower gears longer, resistant to changing up. Very eager to change down. Gear shifts are noticeably more aggressive and 'clunky'. Kick-down still works but...

*Kick down a waste of time IME as it will change down to the lowest possible gear which means sometimes it changes down so far that it is right at the top of the rev range and therefore past the sweet spot in terms of where the engine develops the most power. The car then has to change gear almost immediately. So you get a screaming engine, some asthmatic acceleration then a gear change before finally getting some decent acceleration. In Normal or Sport, you don't need to use kick-down; just floor it (but stop before the kick-down switch) and it will drop to a sensible gear and take off.
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue.

Fully loaded:
Adaptive Cruise Control, Digital Cockpit, Top View, Lane Assist, Park Assist, Traffic Jam Assist, High Beam Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Bedlam

Post by Bedlam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:06 pm

I have been experimenting recently with Eco DSG "Coasting", on back roads, and TBH I like the MPG but at times don't feel totally in control without engine breaking effect I am an old bloke though, driving 46 years :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ateca 2.0 TDi Xcellence DSG 4Drive in Black Magic, 19" Exclusive Wheels, Top View Camera, Park Assist, Virtual Tailgate Pedal, Heated Windscreen

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”