Towbar + Thule bike carrier

Cupra Ateca Chat, News, Reviews
johnbirt

Towbar + Thule bike carrier

Post by johnbirt » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Had my Cupra Ateca for about 6 months. I have an e-bike 22kg which is a pain to store in the boot and then no space for luggage and doesn't do my back any good. Not to mention likelihood of paint damage!

Had a removable tow-bar fitted 2 days ago for less than half Seat dealer quote. Added a Thule 2-bike carrier with bike ramp to ease potential back/spinal issues and leave space for luggage. Whole set up brilliant and rear view out of window at least with just 1 bike excellent. You can't see the carrier at all with no bikes on - just in the rear camera view which gives good guidance for reversing.

When I first started to reverse out of my driveway all hell broke loose! The rear detectors of course started beeping but cured by a quick prod of the audio button on the camera screen to switch off audio temporarily. All was then well until I reversed slowly in an almost empty car park. Having switched off audio the screen showed 2 red flashing lines showing the presence of the carrier. Then after a couple of seconds of slow reverse the brakes juddered and vibrated. Frightened the hell out of me. I continued and all was well. Happened again a while later when reversing.

Parking up on my driveway and perusing the car settings I discovered "Remote Braking" option was enabled. I am assuming this is what is happening? If you reverse while red warnings are in force the Cupra figures you are potentially going to bash into something and applies a not so gentle reminder.

At least what I am guessing is the case. Anyone experience of this with a tow-bar and carrier? Is there something else I should set/unset if I am towing a carrier. I will never be towing anything else other than the bike carrier.

Etchings

Re: Towbar + Thule bike carrier

Post by Etchings » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:50 am

Sounds like you've hit the Manoeuvre Braking - scared the crap out of me when it went off (no tow bar, had to reverse into a load of tall weeds courtesy of an idiot blocking me off).

If you had a factory-fit tow bar, reverse sensors are disabled when deployed; I'm assuming yours aren't so it thinks you're going to crash into something and slams on the brakes.

Pg 262 of the manual explains this feature (See "Driving with Trailer" and "Braking while manoeuvring function") and, more importantly, how to switch it off. Summary:
Manual pg262 wrote:As soon as an obstacle is detected while re-versing, the braking while manoeuvring function activates the emergency braking. Depending on the equipment, the braking while manoeuvring function can also activate emergency braking while moving forwards.

The emergency braking function is used to minimise collisions. Vehicle speed must not be higher than 10 km/h. The braked manoeuvre function is active or inactive when the parking light is lit or off, respectively. If an emergency braking is activated, the function will remain inactive until thegear is changed.

The Parking System’s limitations apply.

The braking while manoeuvring function is controlled in the Easy Connect system with the CAR button and the SETTINGS and Park and manoeuvre function buttons.
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rhodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

johnbirt

Post by johnbirt » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks Etchings for confirming it was/is the Remote Braking feature. Didn't have the manual to hand when posting to look it up.

Mine not factory fitted. Dealership wanted £1200+. Got same removable bar fitted locally for £500 - a standard VW compatible part apparently. Local dealership had to look it up! When I first got the Cupra Ateca and took it in to the local dealership to get a quote for rubber floor mats the sales people all came out to look as they hadn't seen one before!

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:24 am

Sound like your fitter has not coded the car properly.
I have a after market tow bar and a Thule e bike carrier no problem at all. The first thing I did was reverse with the carrier and one bike fitted.
Black 190 DSG Excellence

johnbirt

Post by johnbirt » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Could you explain please Phantom what you mean by coding the car? Unticking the Remote Braking feature perhaps? Or something else?

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:47 pm

You have to tell the software that runs the parking sensors that a towbar is attached - i.e. the fitter will use a special device to access the vehicle's software and enter additional code.

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Software coding Car needs to know it has a tow bar fitted, so that when a 13/7 pin plug is inserted to knows what to disable eg car rear fogs rear parking sensors thing like that. Your tow bar fitter should have fitted a aux unit to drive the trailer lights and and tell the car that something is plugged in. so it can do what is needed.
Black 190 DSG Excellence

Return to “Main Cupra Ateca Chat”