Ateca Sat Nav Maps

All Seat Ateca related discussions
EricM

Re: Ateca Sat Nav Maps

Post by EricM » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Over last weekend, I updated from V7 to V12 following 'Bedlam's clear step-by-step instructions to the letter. Success. Thanks.

I had tried to copy all files (using xcopy) from the V7 card to a brand new SD card but it failed to work What I had not fully realised was that the existing card had to be used.

V12 includes 20mph speed limits which are increasingly prevalent in London - most useful.

It will take some time for me to forget the attitude of SEAT-UK, in supplying out-of-date data with a new car, and then have the cheek to suggest it is the latest available. It might be the version they are obliged to supply by their HO, but not the latest, or safest (20mph speed limits).

Eric
ATECA 1.5 TSI EVO XCLNCE EZ DSG, Magic Black,

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:09 pm

dasalias wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:00 pm
Sorry to say, but this is categorically incorrect. I am now on my second Ateca. My first was a 2016 Xcellence, bought as an ex- demonstrator. It came with the Media System and Navigation V4. Obviously, navigation was already setup and working when I took delivery. As new map versions became available, I was nervous about screwing up the original card, so I bought another genuine Seat V4 from Ebay. When it arrived, I inserted the card and it worked straight out of the box, without changing anything.
Well, yes and no - I did admit about 4 posts later that I appear to be mistaken on the head unit. That was the prevailing theory when I was digging in to how to update my Ateca's map software 2.5 years ago. As always, the wonderful thing about anecdotal evidence is it's just that... anecdotal.

So point taken. However, CID is a factor. (See a bit later though...)

dasalias wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:00 pm
I did change the overall.nds file, but next update, I won’t update this file initially, just to see if it really does make any difference.
If you have MapCare then this will probably work, if not then it won't. There's been a good few posts here about a lost 'overall.nds' to indicate that, but it will deffo be a good test - didn't work for me, but things can change, so let us know!

Tet70 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 am
But why is there an overall.nds file in the update then? If the overall.nds contains information that is related to the specific card, that file should be missing from the downloadable update package, right?
Well, unless you're part of the MapCare programme or have completely reverse engineered the system, then we can only speculate. Last time I tried that I got burned :roll: BUT... I can't resist speculating on a good puzzle though! :twisted:

So what do we know?
  1. The file overall.nds is the main factor for the maps update
  2. The card-specific CID is a factor for the SD card to load maps from
I could speculate that if you have MapCare then overall.nds is ignored and if you don't, then a valid overall.nds is required. Doesn't quite seem right though. A better suggestion would be, if you have MapCare enabled then the overall.nds that comes with map downloads is seen as valid and if no MapCare enabled then it's not. But even that doesn't fully fit .

CID is a factor otherwise you could use any old card. But maybe it's not as big a factor as I originally thought. Others have suggested that it could be as simple as a vendor hardware validation check (CID is formed of multiple components, one of which is manufacturer ID).

Could overall.nds just be a filter list of supported SD card manufacturers, with different signing keys depending on MapCare (or lack of it)? Perhaps that's exactly what you're getting at Tet...?

Maybe the head unit does a filter on the CID for recognised vendors and overall.nds is a licence file for the maps and if you have MapCare then it has one licence key that works with the downloads and if no MapCare then it uses a different key that only works with the file on the SD cards?

Both attributes are a factor in updating maps, but are they linked, or do they serve completely different purposes?

All of this is speculation though!
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rhodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

aleao

Post by aleao » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:49 am

wiz2003 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:15 pm

If you have obdeleven and you look at the subsystems it can change and you look at the structure and nature of the data, it is clear that the software drives virtually all of the hardware. That is no surprise.
There is potential to cause damage or make changes that could be dangerous....
I do not, and would not advise anybody to make changes that they do not understand or that have not been proven by somebody else.
I believe that the maps are controlled by a combination of the serial number of the SD card (which cannot be changed, hence the name of the card), the overall.nds and probably a value or checksum in the infotainment system.
The key is understanding the algorithm and knowing where the checksum value is written.

Because of the above, I am sure that Mapcare could be retrofitted.

I intend to investigate further when I have time....
I believe that Mapcare can be retrofitted. I don't think that there are different hardware for systems with or without Mapcare.

The key is to find what have to change on software and how to do it. This may not be easy, at least on Navi System Plus, that have the software on the hard disk.

Let's see what it will be development of this question.

For the price it costs, all the Navi Systems and Navi Systems Plus, should have lifetime updates!

Driving with an outdated map is a good way to have unwanted surprises as new speed limits and road changes.

EricM

Post by EricM » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:57 am

Totally agree with the last sentence above by wiz2003 that outdated maps can cause unwanted surprises.

wiz2003

Post by wiz2003 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:24 am

Ok
I have taken my pukka v6 card, that (Obviously ) works in my car and inserted into my friend's car..
As I suspected, invalid map data.

So, as I suspected, the pukka hashing process takes into account the sd card serial number, the map version number and the car 'serial number'.

IF the cards on ebay work in any car, maybe the card has a mapcare bodge....

Thoughts?
Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, 18", Lava Blue, Seat sound, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack, Towbar.
Electric front seat not available.
Ordered on spec on the 05/09/2016, collected on the 04/11/2016
Tows a 1,600kg caravan with ease!

EricM

Post by EricM » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:47 am

My dealer gave ame a replacement V7 card in the sealed box. It worked straight out of the box. Now, thanks to the advice/methodolgy given on this blog it is now a V12.

Chosan

Post by Chosan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 pm

wiz2003 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:24 am
Ok
I have taken my pukka v6 card, that (Obviously ) works in my car and inserted into my friend's car..
As I suspected, invalid map data.

So, as I suspected, the pukka hashing process takes into account the sd card serial number, the map version number and the car 'serial number'.

IF the cards on ebay work in any car, maybe the card has a mapcare bodge....

Thoughts?
Sure, since you still have your .dns file on your card. What if you take your friends .dns file and put on to your card?
Ateca MY19 Nevada white excellence Lux 1.5 TSI EVO 150 PS DSG

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”