Wiper blades on new car

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
nick052

Wiper blades on new car

Post by nick052 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Hi all,

Picked up a brand new Ateca FR 1.5 last Saturday. Done about 250 miles so far - love everything about it (no engine issues, great handling, better than expected MPG)..........apart from:

The factory-fitted wiper blades I find truly awful. All three of them judder across the screen and none of them wipe the rain off without leaving streaks on the screen. I did wonder if it was because of the cleaning of the car initially but there's been plenty of rain this week and they are simply not getting any better.

It is the only minor niggle I have with the car but it's taking the edge off the experience each time it rains (which these days seems to be often!).

Yes, I could easily spend £22 on Amazon and buy a complete set of Bosch wipers to remedy the situation (I've always used Bosch wipers and they are excellent). But my current thinking is "why should I?" when I've owned the car less than a week and it's not exactly a cheap model.

It's back in the garage in a couple of weeks for some mudguards fitting so I was contemplating asking the dealer to have a look with a view to fitting a new set.

But there's no point if they will be equally as crap - has anyone else had similar experience with brand new factory-fitted blades?

Roger48

Re: Wiper blades on new car

Post by Roger48 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Yes, my wiper blades are crap as well. In my case it would be cheaper to buy a new set than drive 50 miles there and back to the nearest dealer to have them changed!

So I am thinking of getting a new set of Bosch wiper blades before winter. But I will give the windscreen a good clean first, just in case it helps.

zeczyguy

Post by zeczyguy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:00 pm

im getting an Ateca any time soon but I got a brand new BMW X1 in March this year and I had to change the wiper blades in less than a week

vectra

Post by vectra » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:20 pm

My one is the same,
8 weeks old today and the one thing that annoys me is the wiper blades as well, especially the driver side one.
on the up sweep it seems fine, but on the return it leaves the screen in a shocking state.
I was going to moan to them about it as they are literally 300 mtrs from my house.
MY19 Ateca FR 1.5Tsi DSG Velvet red, Digital cockpit, Beats audio, Winter pack, Leather, adaptive cruise, Electric boot, Kessy, Lane assist, Connectivity box, Alarm, Kessy, Rear view Camera. 8-)

Jettabout

Post by Jettabout » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:36 pm

There was a thread a few months ago saying the same thing and people just fitted Bosch wipers, I did too and what a difference, silence....

Dave.
Dave.
2019 Ateca SE Tech 2.0ltr Tdi, Rodium grey, now with spare wheel...

nick052

Post by nick052 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks all.

I’m just gonna buy some Bosch ones instead of messing about with the dealer (it’ll sort the problem quicker and I'd only end up with Seat ones on there again!).

AtecaChris

Post by AtecaChris » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:02 am

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what make the ones are that are fitted at the factory? Is it just pot luck with makes, as has been noticed with the tyres, or do they use the same ones all the time?

Also does anyone know if the current Ateca comes with fan or jet style washer nozzles?
Ordered Xcellence Lux 2.0 TSI DSG 4drive in Velvet Red (MY20). Ordered Aug 22nd 2019 (Wk 34). Build date 27th Oct (Wk 44). Waiting for confirmation of delivery date but been told 3rd week Nov :shock:

nick052

Post by nick052 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:36 am

AtecaChris wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:02 am
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what make the ones are that are fitted at the factory? Is it just pot luck with makes, as has been noticed with the tyres, or do they use the same ones all the time?

Also does anyone know if the current Ateca comes with fan or jet style washer nozzles?
Poundland make the wipers I think. 🤣

My tyres are Falken Azenis. Not sure if that’s common or not. I know the size is a bit strange as you don’t get many results on the tyre sites for them - they’re about £160 each fitted.

Jet washers are nice and discreet - look like fan style to me.

AtecaChris

Post by AtecaChris » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:49 am

From what I’ve been reading you may be right about Poundland making them lol.

As long as it’s not Pirelli (can’t remember which ones) as I’ve Recently had two fitted to my Kuga and the road noise is awful. I had Continentals before and they were brilliant.
Ordered Xcellence Lux 2.0 TSI DSG 4drive in Velvet Red (MY20). Ordered Aug 22nd 2019 (Wk 34). Build date 27th Oct (Wk 44). Waiting for confirmation of delivery date but been told 3rd week Nov :shock:

Rade

Post by Rade » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:37 pm

On my 2.5 years old Ateca I still have original wipers and they are great. Sounds like they've changed supplier or decided to save few quids with poor quality ones.
Xcellence 2.0 tdi 4drive, Nevada white, 19" Exclusive alloys, top cam, seat sound, pano roof, navi system, styling kit Blue Connect,

Return to “Faults & Technical”